Raw foods help

Options
I was talking to an acquaintance today about raw foods. He was telling me how his wife, who was diagnosed with ovarian cancer more than 2 years ago, is now in remission despite only being given 6 months to live. As soon as she was diagnosed she started a raw foods diet and has now been in remission for several months. What he was telling me seems to make sense and he was saying it can also help people with diabetes and thyroid problems as well as many other illnesses.

I have an underactive thyroid and have been really struggling to lose weight. I am now losing weight but only around 1lb a month despite exercising a lot and eating within my calorie goal. I was wondering if there was anyone out there who could tell me about their experiences with a raw food diet as I am thinking of trying it myself.

I would like to hear good and bad reviews of this lifestyle but I know this can be a controversial subject so please respect each other's opinions. I know that what works for some people doesn't work for others but I felt that hearing from different people would help me to make up my own mind about whether it is worth trying.

Thanks for your help :smile:

I should add that since stopping eating refined sugar and reducing my intake of pasta and bread, I have noticed an improvement in how I am feeling.

Replies

• juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    My friend's dad cured his diabetes and high blood pressure (and lost 30+ pounds) in a few months of eating a raw vegan diet.
  • ckgt
    ckgt Posts: 1
    Options
    so what is the Raw food diet? Can someone list the foods on here. My husband is also Diabetes and he has lost 60 lbs already just by himself and changed his food and has got off some of his medicine.
  • tiarodwell
    tiarodwell Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I am actually considering a vegan diet made up of a lot of raw foods. Check out the documentary "Forks over Knives". It is on Netflix instant right now, but is also available on DVD. It takes a look into the benefits of a whole foods, plant based diet.

I personally think a lot of the health benefits of the raw diet come from not eating animal products. (I have no science to back that up!).

Anyhow, I have never heard any negatives about raw food diets other than they can be difficult to stick to. I say, give it a try and see how it makes you feel!

Keep us posted!