Question about ammonia in sweat

Lola0ne
Lola0ne Posts: 9
edited October 2 in Fitness and Exercise
I receive posts from my gym on fb and today, they said:

"If your workout clothes smell like ammonia after a workout, you’re likely burning a lot of protein for fuel as ammonia is a byproduct of protein metabolism. This isn’t a good thing as it may mean you’re burning muscle tissue for energy instead of carbohydrates or body fat. Ask one of our trainers how best to correct this."

My sweat often smells of ammonia but my daily carb intake averages about 51% of my diet. Not sure what to do......Anybody any input, suggestions or ideas?

Replies

• ShapeUpSidney
    ShapeUpSidney Posts: 1,092 Member
    Not necessarily. When you work out intensely, your metabolic rate increases. This increases the rate of excretion dramatically. When you don't take enough bathroom breaks (to pee), your body still needs to get rid of certain things, and it will do so by excreting through your skin. That's what you're smelling. Drink more water and take more bathroom breaks and you won't notice it as much.

Trust me, you most likely aren't burning protein instead of carbs. You'd have to work exceptionally hard for a long long time to be that carb depleted.
  • Never mind, I should have done a Search in the first place. Found the answers I needed.
This discussion has been closed.