Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Can I run?

2»

Replies

• hazelnutflav
    hazelnutflav Posts: 391 Member
    i literally went from the couch to 5k and finished a month ago started out at 245 5'6 tall and did it all on the treadmill at the gym.

here is the link
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
    you can do it
  • I've been doing jog (more of a shuffle, but at least I'm trying, lol) /walk intervals for a while and have just started C25k. I'm much heavier than you but can't jog outside except on a track because it causes all sorts of pains... I'm not sure at what weight someone can jog on pavement without it hurting like crazy... I wear a bra and a tank with a shelf bra and it seems to be enough support (I'm a Cacique cup size H)
  • Twinmom1221
    Twinmom1221 Posts: 191 Member
    I second Run Your Butt Off. I tried starting out with C25K but I found that the interval increases were much to high for me and I wasn't feeling like I could keep up. RYBO has much more gradual increases and really focuses on running slow which allowed me to run longer.
  • SeattleGrl
    SeattleGrl Posts: 58 Member
    Yes, you can! I ran for the first time this weekend (jogged actually) but what amazed me most was how much easier it was the next day. I'm planning on starting the C25K in October when I get back from vacation.
    Like some of the others, I'm a 2-bra work out girl!
  • Sassi50
    Sassi50 Posts: 67 Member
    I second the suggestion of C25K. It will make you a healthy and safe runner. Go slow and if you have to repeat a week, do it....even if you have to repeat it 2 or 3 times. The programme works and teaches you to run properly. Download the podcasts by Robert Ullery (I think that's his name) and they will guide you along smoothly.
    And as for the "girls"...a regular bra and a good sports bra will work for now, but once you get running and your weight is dropping consider getting a real runners bra. You want to keep the girls separate and held firmly.
    Good luck and remember, one foot in front of the other!!!
  • Couch 2 5K - C25K - GREAT starting point! They also have C210K if you want to go ahead and aim for the 10K. And I agree with the sports bras - you can even wear one of your regular bras, then a tight sports bra (or 2) on top of that.

I am 5'7" and I started running in March when I was about 225lbs. Today I ran a 10K in 74mins - and I have never, EVER, ran before in my entire life. ANYone can do it!
  • olyrose
    olyrose Posts: 569 Member
    I've never been able to run, and the past couple weeks I decided to try at the gym. The first time I set the treadmill for only 12 minutes, and alternated walking and running. The second time instead of walking when my 2 minutes was up, I decided to see if I could keep going, and ended up running 10 minutes straight. The third time I could only make it 6 minutes. The fourth time I ran 16 minutes, and 1.25 miles.

What helped me was setting little goals, like, "I'll run 30 seconds more, then see if I can keep going. I made it 5 minutes, let's see if I can do 5.5", etc. I also played music and kind of tried to read a magazine, just to distract me from watching the time. And I kept this mantra in my head of "this is not hard, I am making it seem harder than it is, I can do this, this is easy"

I'm 32, and that was the first mile I have ever run straight through in my life. I used to think there was no way I could do it, but I am starting to believe that it's just a matter of getting past my mental block.

Start really slow, set little goals, and you can totally do it!
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Yes you can just start slowly and walk when you need to. Concentrate on movement first then start running. Go to a running store and get yourself a good pair of shoes. Support is important! Speaking of support (ahem) make sure you get really good jogging bras if you have "big girls". I'm not very well-endowed and I still wear two! I hate to see ladies bouncing up and down when they run..it CAN'T be good for breast tissues. So get really good bras that make your "girls" immovable when you run!
    Good Luck!
    Yours in Running!:smile:
  • kgool
    kgool Posts: 177 Member
    I have been running for the last few months and was feeling a stud running on the treadmill. When I started running outside though it was so much harder I was really crushed. I have learned that running on sidewalks and concrete are still too much for me. (I am 40 and my ankles and Achilles tendons just are not ready for it. ) I run a little better on the asphalt, but it is still not easy. I am just starting to run on a high school track near my house. I think this is a good compromise and hopefully I can run on concrete soon.
  • I have been running for the last few months and was feeling a stud running on the treadmill. When I started running outside though it was so much harder I was really crushed. I have learned that running on sidewalks and concrete are still too much for me. (I am 40 and my ankles and Achilles tendons just are not ready for it. ) I run a little better on the asphalt, but it is still not easy. I am just starting to run on a high school track near my house. I think this is a good compromise and hopefully I can run on concrete soon.

This. I had the same thing happen to me except that I continued to run outside and have never looked back. I did half of c25k on a treadmill and decided to switch it up and run outdoors, that's where I found out that running outdoors was harder for me. So I restarted the program and completed it outdoors. The only time I run indoors is when I'm doing a warm up run at the gym before weights. Otherwise, 99.99% of my runs are all outside in all types of weather.
  • It sounds simple to just run, but its not. Atleast for me. I am around 5'3 and 190 lbs. I wanna run so bad and someday complete some sort of marathon, even if its just a 5k. I need a plan so I can start. Dont know if I should start on treadmill or outside? I am also heavy chested, which is also a big barrier. Any advice?

I'm the same height as you, I weigh 205 right now and I just finished 2 miles without stopping in the summer heat. (That's the most I can do in my lunch hour and still have time to shower and eat) It can be done...you have to want it.

Try C25K to get you going in the right direction.

edited to add: I really think running has helped my weight loss efforts...I feel FABULOUS after doing my miles and that feeling keeps me on target for my day!
  • You all have inspired me. I just bought a pair of running shoes. I have a droid and have heard of counch to 5k. I want to thank all of you!! YOu are awesome!!
  • Something I learned the hard way - I broke #4 of the Golden Rules of Running.

4. STAY ON THE TRAIL Pavement damages joints,tendons, ligaments, and muscles. The more you can run on grass, woodchips, or dirt, the better off you are. My athletes run 90 percent oftheir workouts on soft surfaces.

http://www.outsideonline.com/fitness/running/The-Ten-Golden-Rules-of-Running.html

2 of my weekly runs are on grass and my long run is on the road - this has helped me a lot.

Enjoy your runs! Feel free to add me - I like having running friends in MFP!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,423 Member
    If I can do it, ANYONE can!!!!!!!! I am 5'5", large chested (40G) and 43 yrs old. I started running/jogging when I was weighing 200+ lbs. I did the couch to 5K program. granted I am not a fast runner, but now that I can go the 5K distance, I am working on increasing my speed.

wear a good bra, maybe two...and go at a pace you can handle

This is almost the same as me - 44 yrs, DD chest, 5'4" and started running (c25k) in January at 202 pounds.
    Now I'm 156 pounds and my profile pic is me running a 12km race 2 weeks ago.
    Three important things: get good shoes, get a supportive bra (I wear a sports bra plus a tank top with shelf bra), run SLOW.
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Like you, I thought I couldn't run. Unlike you, I have a genetic bone diease that causes bone tumors on every joint of my body except for my head. Starting when I was 3 years old, I have had several orthopedic surgeries throughout my life. My mother had the same bone disease as me and had to have both of her knees replaced due to high impact aerobics. I thought the same would happen to me if I did anything high impact.

But then I quit smoking and my weightloss came to a standstill. I read up on Couch to 5K and decided that it didn't really sound so bad. I gave it a try and have told myself that if I get knee pain or any other serious joint pain, I'll stop. I've just finished week 5 today, and so far I'm doing fine. I'm shocked that I'm able to run. I spent my ENTIRE life avoiding it because I was convinced I couldn't. I know a lot of people have said "If I can do it, anyone can" but seriously. If I'm able to do it, there is no reason someone who does not have my disabilities can't.