Why we get fat and what to do about it

Options
Has anyone read the book by Gary Taubes? I think it's similar to Good Calories, Bad Calories, but more readable. Seems to be saying that it's not overeating that makes you fat, but insulin. Taubes also seems to be saying that cutting calories and exercising aren't going to help lose weight. So what are we all doing here? I do understand the notion that carbs (partic simple ones) raise insulin which promotes fat storage, but don't like the idea that exercising isn't helping at all to lose weight, and the cutting calories isn't the answer either.
Any thoughts?

Replies

• ladylu11
    ladylu11 Posts: 631 Member
    Options
    never read the book, never heard of the author. but I have to say there seems to be a lot of evidence that says different.
    We have lots of examples on MFP, the Biggest Loser, our own story, etc.....
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Taubes is good for debunking the lipid hypothesis, but bad for everything else. you get fat from overeating, not the other way around as he theorizes
  • FairyMiss
    FairyMiss Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    heh .. to quote my self from another thread

LETS GET READY TO RRRRRRRRRRRRUUUUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMMBBBBBBBBBBLLLLLLLLLEEEEEEE
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I got fat from overeating. Plain and simple. I'm now getting fit by eating everything in moderation and working out regularly. It's really that simple unless you have a serious food allergy.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I read Why We Get Fat and then went and bought Good Calories Bad Calories. The latter is more technical with argument and evidence directed at healthcare providers and researchers. Both present arguments (1) not enough science was in place before Dietary guidelines were established back in the '60s--the government barrelled ahead based on insufficient data and we have what we have today because of confirmation bias in nutrition research that continues (this was my impression), and (2) there is plenty of research in place that is ignored that indicates low fat, high carb is not the way to go, yet the government persists in its endorsing and enforcing same through dietary guidelines, school lunches and the like. For reasons one can only speculate upon; one of which could be no one wants to say, "we were wrong".

It's long been understood that weight loss is 80% diet and 20% exercise--the purpose of which is fitness. Movement is important to health and well being, over and above any calorie burning. He presents an interesting argument regarding human physiology, calories and food choices. If people still believe calories in = calories out (this makes me crazy when I hear this and was delighted when Taubes agreed), they need to learn what the law of thermodynamics is rather than parroting catchy phrases. This blogger explains it way better than I could http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2008/10/first-law-of-thermodynamics-in-real.html

Why are we all here? Because the number one, seriously ... the number one reason why any weight loss progam is successful is support of peers. Proven time and again successful, Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, et al all have counsellors and support as part of their process. Pick any diet and if you have buddies, family, and friends helping you make exercise goals, stay committed to food choices and feeling good about your progress, plateaus and set backs ... I guarantee that diet would be successful. That's why we're here ... for each other.
  • pstaub70
    Options
    My best takeaway from Good Calories Bad Calories and Why We Get Fat:

Overeating as an explanation for obesity fails to provide any avenue of causality. In other words it fails to answer the question, why are we overeating?

The analogy that Gary uses in his books is a room being crowded is caused by more people entering than exiting. This obviously fails to answer the question why did more people enter than exit?

"Saying that obesity is caused by overeating is about as enlightening as saying that alcoholism is caused by overdrinking" -Jean Mayer
  • Grokette
    Grokette Posts: 3,330 Member
    Options
    Taubes is good for debunking the lipid hypothesis, but bad for everything else. you get fat from overeating, not the other way around as he theorizes

I am currently reading this book and all of his research on this subject in regards to getting fat from not overeating is taken from numerous studies that were done by doctors and other scientists.

I am actually a living proof of someone that does not overeat and I got fat after being a body builder and boxer in the Army.

Read the book, look up the studies he references and you will find the truth.
  • Grokette
    Options
    I got fat from overeating. Plain and simple. I'm now getting fit by eating everything in moderation and working out regularly. It's really that simple unless you have a serious food allergy.

There are far more people that get fat from being malnourished or under nourished than over eating. I have never been a big eater and yet in 2003 I gained an unexplainable 160 pounds eating a low calorie, low fat and high carb eating plan my doctor put me on.

I went from 125 pounds to 285 in less than 4 months and at that time no food allergies were found.

There are so many things that insulin resistance causes in the way of the endocrine system and hormone imbalances that it makes so much sense that people are getting fat and not really eating much at all.
  • pstaub70
    Options

There are far more people that get fat from being malnourished or under nourished than over eating.

There was one example in the book along these lines that was amazing to me. A researcher in an impoverished area of an impoverished nation (I forget which one) noticed that overweight mothers were bringing starving, malnourished infants into the hospital.

Are we to believe that these mothers were stuffing themselves with extra calories while letting their infants die of starvation? This goes against everything we believe about mothers... and obesity for that matter.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

I am currently reading this book and all of his research on this subject in regards to getting fat from not overeating is taken from numerous studies that were done by doctors and other scientists.

I am actually a living proof of someone that does not overeat and I got fat after being a body builder and boxer in the Army.

i did read both books and i already listed the reference Taubes uses to support his view on the obese eating less then the lean and why it is shaky at best (relies on ad libitum diets and self reported diets)

as for you using yourself as an example, did you weigh all your food to determine caloric intake and how did you calculate your TDEE to determine that you were in fact undereating but managed to get fat
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Has anyone read the book by Gary Taubes? I think it's similar to Good Calories, Bad Calories, but more readable. Seems to be saying that it's not overeating that makes you fat, but insulin. Taubes also seems to be saying that cutting calories and exercising aren't going to help lose weight. So what are we all doing here? I do understand the notion that carbs (partic simple ones) raise insulin which promotes fat storage, but don't like the idea that exercising isn't helping at all to lose weight, and the cutting calories isn't the answer either.
    Any thoughts?

I've got Why We Get Fat on reserve at my library, but may, instead, download it to my PC or phone. Can't wait to read it! Having been a low-carb (and I mean LOW, 20 net carbs a day) person for the last 7 months, and seeing my results, and the changes in how I feel (energetic and happy), I totally support the low-carb lifestyle! Energy balance? Yes, that's a part of the equation. Anyone who takes in 3000-plus calories a day is probably going to gain weight. A huge part of why I think low-carb is so successful for me is that the protein or fat (?) helps me to not be hungry, and so I'm not snacking and eating carbage or junk food all day. Another part of the equation is that I don't believe that a person needs processed or refined foods in the form of carbs to survive. And finally, metabolism and fat storage seem to be tied in with hormones, specifically Insulin. I believe that over time, eating all the carbs in the form of junk food and refined, processed foods has made me insulin resistant.

Energy balance works for a lot of people. I have tried Weight Watchers, counting calories, counting points, the Curves Diet, Slim Fast....and never lost a significant amount of weight, and always felt hungry. All while excercising myself into exhaustion. The Atkins diet works for me.

I believe that science and research are slowly coming around to realize that what people like Dr. Atkins and Gary Taubes are touting is true.

Ultimately, though, you find what works for you!
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Gary Taubes:
    1. Pick your hypothesis so a book can be written.
    2. Cherry pick data to support hypothesis.
    3. Ignore OVERWHELMING evidence that contradict hypothesis.
    4. Receive money from book proceeds.
  • Nickstery
    Nickstery Posts: 324 Member
    Options

Dude, I want to look like the profile pic by the time I'm done losing weight with many help from my MFP associates!
  • DontThinkJustRun
    DontThinkJustRun Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Gosh I don't know, I lost 130 lbs eating right and exercising, enough proof it works for me IMO.
  • Grokette
    Options

i did read both books and i already listed the reference Taubes uses to support his view on the obese eating less then the lean and why it is shaky at best (relies on ad libitum diets and self reported diets)

as for you using yourself as an example, did you weigh all your food to determine caloric intake and how did you calculate your TDEE to determine that you were in fact undereating but managed to get fat

Yes, everything did get weighed and measured and still does to this day.

The doctor put me on 1,000 calorie low fat, low calorie plan and I proceeded to gain 140 pounds in a few months time frame. It was scary how the low fat, high carb plan made me balloon up like that.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Anyone that says cutting calories and exercising won't help you lose weight is an idiot, a liar, or just plain crazy. There are millions, maybe billions, of people who have lost weight by cutting calories and exercising. I am one of them.

But, hey, whatever sells a book and pads the bank account.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    I read the book and it made sense to me. I bought a copy for a friend and it seems to work for him also. Other people, maybe not so much. I'm not sure why this is controversial -- people's bodies seem to be different depending on age, heredity and other factors.

@Grokette,
    My experience wasn't as extreme as yours, but similar. Once I hit 40 i went progressively from 190 to 230 despite working out even harder and "eating correctly".
  • linsben
    linsben Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Anyone that says cutting calories and exercising won't help you lose weight is an idiot, a liar, or just plain crazy. There are millions, maybe billions, of people who have lost weight by cutting calories and exercising. I am one of them.

I doubt he says that in his book. I'm going to buy it and read it and search hard for where he says that. The OP said it seems like thats what he is saying. But from reading his other material i cant seem to remember anytime that he said someone who cuts calories and exersizes will NOT lose weight. I agree that someone that says cutting calories and exercising won't help you lose weight is MAY be an idiot, a liar, or just plain crazy. Have you read the book? just curious
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I read the book and it made sense to me. I bought a copy for a friend and it seems to work for him also. Other people, maybe not so much. I'm not sure why this is controversial -- people's bodies seem to be different depending on age, heredity and other factors.

@Grokette,
    My experience wasn't as extreme as yours, but similar. Once I hit 40 i went progressively from 190 to 230 despite working out even harder and "eating correctly".

I had a child at 37, and proceeded to put on about 12 lbs a year. I'm 41. My high weight was 265. After nursing for a year, I proceeded to cut calories, went to the gym 4-5 days a week, and lost nothing. Gained and gained and gained. Went on Atkins low-carb in February this year. Still excercising, but less, and now down 54 lbs, and still going strong. Feel great! In fact, I haven't been sick, even with a cold, since Dec. 2010. (may be unrelated, though I doubt it with 3 school age kids and a teacher for a husband) Hmmm.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options

And there's billions, maybe trillions, of people :wink: who have gained weight despite cutting calories and exercising. I am one of them. So are many, many other people who starve themselves and exercise for hours, and then are accused of being gluttons and lazy, because they don't lose weight. Read the comments on MFP.

I guess Dean Ornish also knows all about selling books and making money.