What's the REAL "scoop" about potatoes???

Options
Does it depend on how you cook them?

Should they be eliminated from the diet altogether? :noway:

Is an occasional baked potato okay? :indifferent: What about mashed potatoes? :huh:

I know, French Fries are the Devil :devil: .

How about Sweet Potatoes, are they evil too? :explode:

Does anyone know? And, Chips are still STALKING me! :glasses:

Thanx n Advance.

Replies

• VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have not even kind of cut back on potatoes. Potatoes are amazing!!!

I even eat fries often, but I bake them. Unless you are low-carbing, potatoes are a great part of a healthy diet!
  • rbryntes
    rbryntes Posts: 710 Member
    Options
    It depends on what kind of diet you're on. I aim for a low glycemic-index diet, because I have insulin issues. Because of that, I only eat sweet potatoes (medium glycemic index) or baby/new potatoes (low glycemic index). The others convert to sugar too quickly for me.
  • mynika
    mynika Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    Great topic I too want to hear more, I'll check back later.
    Thanks for posting.:flowerforyou:
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are fine - I will agree with VeganGal84: Unless you are on a low carb diet, don't exclude them. For the vast majority of people, the focus needs to be more on moderation and healthy preparation.

Avoid butter with your potatotoes as much as you can. If you're preparing a dish like mashed potatoes, instead of using butter or milk to make them creamy, use a little fat free cream cheese as a healthy substitute. If you want more flavor, use FRESH (never dried) herbs and cracked pepper. Always leave the skin on the potato - it's the most nutritious part.
  • shankleefranklee
    Options
    I don't eat them - even if it's a "healthier" way of preparing. I stick to sweet potatoes. I try to avoid most process foods anyways, so chips and crisps are a no go.
  • mermx
    mermx Posts: 976
    Options
    I used to eat baked potatoes after following Slimming World `green/red days` but not now I know the calorie content.

I bought a tin of new potatoes today...55 cals for half tin approx 5 potatoes.
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I eat them almost daily, just count the calories like anything else.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

Most people say, you should give up all white foods rice, potatoes, pasta, breads, etc?
  • jbudge1
    jbudge1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

Most people say, you should give up all white foods rice, potatoes, pasta, breads, etc?

Giving up all that stuff sounds like a fad diet imo. I originally weighted 269 and lost over 70 lbs, I ate rice and potatoes almost daily (and still do). I just eat moderate portions and count my calories like everything else. Besides giving up bread, rice, and potatoes sounds miserable to me.

The one thing I don't eat much of is Pasta, not because it is a white food, but because it is super high in calories.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

A vegetable like the potato is a different animal than white bread. Two totally different foods and food groups. I eat potatoes fairly regularly- as long as you aren't carb sensitive, they are good for you and healthy too.
  • Fochizzy
    Fochizzy Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

Well I can NOT be most people. I eat white bread or pasta every day, and potatos several times a week and guess what! I am losing weight, my nutrition levels are great and I just learned portion control. To each their own. But I will NOT give up white foods, you cannot make me! So there!
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    I just ate a potato! It was amazing.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    I :heart: Potatoes! Especially sweet potatoes.
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

White rice, pasta, and bread are all processed foods. Potatoes are not.
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are most delicious. Purple potatoes are my favorite :heart:
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Wow, Really, You Guys???

Well I can NOT be most people. I eat white bread or pasta every day, and potatos several times a week and guess what! I am losing weight, my nutrition levels are great and I just learned portion control. To each their own. But I will NOT give up white foods, you cannot make me! So there!

im really having a hard time with the brown rice c*%#. I've grown up on white rice so im having a hard time giving it up........ and my rice should NOT taste like wheat, darn it.
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options

Have you ever had purple sweet potatoes? AKA Okinawan sweet potato? OMG, so good!
  • baisleac
    baisleac Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    Potatoes are one of my favorite sources of potassium! White potatoes, sweet potatoes, new potatoes, red potatoes. *Po-tay-toes!* Boil 'em, mash 'em, stick 'em in a stew... Lovely big golden chips with a nice piece of fried fish.
  • GBO323
    GBO323 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Here's my take on the "no 'white' food" issue.

I was doing Atkins a long time ago and hit wall for 3 weeks. Saying NO to rice, potatoes, sugar, etc. My wife started doing Weight Watchers and was LOVING her rice, potatoes, and her SmartOnes desserts...and guess what? SHE consistently lost each week.

So my mantra is I can eat whatever I want, I just can't eat ALL of it I want. For those that are carb sensitive-and I think I am as well-then allot yourself one meal of the day to enjoy that potato, pasta, bread, etc as long as you count it toward your daily calorie target.

The secret is lower calories tend to lower your carb intake given you are intaking less. There's the $50 Tip of the day. :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options

Have you ever had purple sweet potatoes? AKA Okinawan sweet potato? OMG, so good!

No, but they sound amazing! I guess technically what I eat are called blue potatoes, but they look purple to me. Yum!