Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Diet Rite Pure Zero soda

Rachel6901
Rachel6901 Posts: 105 Member
edited September 19 in Food and Nutrition
I have switched from regular sodas to the diet rite sodas. I have done research on them to see if they are possibly not what they seem to be. Has anyone heard or seen any problems/concerns with these sodas? I sure hope not, it's great having 0 calories, caffeine, sodium and carbs.

Replies

• Rachel6901
    I have switched from regular sodas to the diet rite sodas. I have done research on them to see if they are possibly not what they seem to be. Has anyone heard or seen any problems/concerns with these sodas? I sure hope not, it's great having 0 calories, caffeine, sodium and carbs.
  • SoupNazi
    SoupNazi Posts: 4,229 Member
    I'm not a soda drinker but when I do....this is what I drink. It is made with Splenda (aspartame gives me and millions of others, killer migraines) and has no caffeine or calories.

Tastes good too.

As with all soda, I'd say drink in pure moderation.
  • hurleycutie142
    hurleycutie142 Posts: 479 Member
    From what i heard its has chemicals that arent good for the body... i am a HUGE! soda drinker... I was at a 2 liter a day... I read on yahoo that its not bad but its taking away from someone drinking water... and water flushes out of you soda sits and bloats... If i were you i would stick to one every other day as a treat but drink it as if it is water...
  • I allow myself to drink DR AFTER I have consumed at least my daily water needs. Works for me. Also, the carbonation helps my digestive process!
  • mommachag
    mommachag Posts: 318
    everything I have read says that the artificially sweetened things can actually make you eat more in the long run
    here's why (feel freee to correct me if I'm wrong)
    when you eat or drink something sweet your body detects the sweet and produces insulin to manage the sugar. when you use "fake" sugar your body creates insulin that does not get used which in turn stimulates your food cravings. I can find the study if anyone wants it
    again I doubt it's terrible once in a while but not often
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    everything I have read says that the artificially sweetened things can actually make you eat more in the long run
    when you eat or drink something sweet your body detects the sweet and produces insulin to manage the sugar. when you use "fake" sugar your body creates insulin that does not get used which in turn stimulates your food cravings. I can find the study if anyone wants it

Fortunately for us, we're capable of higher thought, so nothing will MAKE us overeat. We can only allow ourselves to overeat in response to a craving.
    Hunger is not yet understood--not even a little bit--so saying that a taste (we don't know how taste works either) can cause an insulin reaction, and in turn the insulin will cause us to crave something sweet...it's nothing more than a hypothesis. Just a possibility. Plenty of people drink soda or other non-nutritive sweeteners without diving into a bag of gummy bears.
  • LeanLioness
    LeanLioness Posts: 1,091 Member
    I don't drink soda very often any more, but I do allow myself to have one every once in a while.

I do drink Diet Rite. I like the

Orange, with a splash of heavy whipping cream (for me, a low carb snack that will fill me up and tastes like an orange sickle..........)

Raspberry or white grape with crushed ice. I sip slowly.

I like diet rite because it is low in sodium and is sweetened with splenda.
  • LeanLioness

You are quite correct in what you are saying..................

Most people that this affects are people that are carb sensitive, have insulin resistance or are diabetic................

I have to limit my consumption of artifical sweeteners because I do get an insulin response when I consume too much. it will send my blood sugar sky high.
  • mommachag
    "Certain data indicate that the body learns to predict caloric intake by the taste and texture of certain foods. When artificial sweeteners are introduced into the mix, our body sends the appropriate sweet signals to the brain but never delivers the sugar punch."

yhis was from one article. again it's about the choices you make. nothing can MAKE you do anything but it's harder to make good choices when your craving the wrong things. just a heads up no judgement. we're all in this boat together:happy: and as far as someone who has to be carb free it makes sense once in a while to enjoy one, just like every once in a while I have to have a creme brule or cupcake
    two articles to look at
    http://www.womentowomen.com/nutritionandweightloss/dietsoda.aspx
    http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/blog/hugo/2008/05/diet-soda-also-makes-you-gain-weight.html
  • LeanLioness
    "Certain data indicate that the body learns to predict caloric intake by the taste and texture of certain foods. When artificial sweeteners are introduced into the mix, our body sends the appropriate sweet signals to the brain but never delivers the sugar punch."

yhis was from one article. again it's about the choices you make. nothing can MAKE you do anything but it's harder to make good choices when your craving the wrong things. just a heads up no judgement. we're all in this boat together:happy: and as far as someone who has to be carb free it makes sense once in a while to enjoy one, just like every once in a while I have to have a creme brule or cupcake
    two articles to look at
    http://www.ourhealthcoop.com/blog/hugo/2008/05/diet-soda-also-makes-you-gain-weight.html

I hope that wasn't directed at me as I agreed with what you posted stating that artifiical sweetners can cause you to gain weight due to the insulin response.

I was not being judgemental at all....................

And I am not carb free either.

I, now, only introduce healthy carbs into my mouth in the way of vegetables and I am just adding nuts and yogurt this week.

Also, cravings are very, very powerful!! Cravings and the brain response can almost make you over ride what you intend to do!!
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Diet rite is great!!! My only complaint is that it seems to lose carbonation much quicker than other sodas.
  • ccbyrne1
    ccbyrne1 Posts: 19 Member
    cherry coke zero! Its my favorite treat. I really cut back on soda...if i drink soda its 1 can a day. and its cherry coke zero =) its sweet and no calories! it is sweetened with aspartame, so be careful. I also cut coffee out of my diet. In the morning i drink arizona pomegranate iced green tea (powdered, 0 calories, sweetened with spelna!), then during the day i have all of my water, i usually throw a cup of skim milk in there somewhere...and if i want a sweet treat after i stop eating at night (6:30pm) ill have a cherry coke zero. for my fellow 21 years+ MFP friends, add a jigger of your favorite 80 proof vodka for a nice 70 calorie cocktail!
    :drinker:
    :bigsmile:
  • mommachag

two articles to look at

I hope that wasn't directed at me as I agreed with what you posted stating that artifiical sweetners can cause you to gain weight due to the insulin response.

I, now, only introduce healthy carbs into my mouth in the way of vegetables and I am just adding nuts and yogurt this week.

Also, cravings are very, very powerful!! Cravings and the brain response can almost make you over ride what you intend to do!!

oh goodness no. I just know that sometimes I come across as being rather *cough* opinionated and it can come across the wrong way. just making sure that I dont. it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

yummy yogurt. I know you follow atkins but does that have anything to do with the glycemic index of foods. if it does ...have you heard of ezekiel bread? it's a sprouted bread so it's glycemic impact is much less. and it is ultra yummy.

I have such a sweet tooth. that is the big craving problem for me. if I can combine it with fats even happier. my favorite food, yup creme brule. love the stuff. I have learned how to make it with milk rather than creme. doesnt taste quite the same but good enough to satisfy. it's one craving i .just. cant. fight.
  • LeanLioness

two articles to look at

oh goodness no. I just know that sometimes I come across as being rather *cough* opinionated and it can come across the wrong way. just making sure that I dont. it wasn't directed at anyone in particular.

yummy yogurt. I know you follow atkins but does that have anything to do with the glycemic index of foods. if it does ...have you heard of ezekiel bread? it's a sprouted bread so it's glycemic impact is much less. and it is ultra yummy.

I have such a sweet tooth. that is the big craving problem for me. if I can combine it with fats even happier. my favorite food, yup creme brule. love the stuff. I have learned how to make it with milk rather than creme. doesnt taste quite the same but good enough to satisfy. it's one craving i .just. cant. fight.

LOL, I can come across as opinionated also...............LOL

I know I have already offended peeps on this board, but I believe what I believe!! That is what is nice about voicing your opinion, each side can debate...........

Yes, the first time I went on Atkins and reached maintenance, I ate Ezekiel bread. I bought it at either Trader Joe's or my local Health Food Store. I will eat it again, when I get to that "rung" on the carb ladder...............

Due to financial reasons and depression, I stopped eating naturally and got off Atkins and I ended up gaining all the weight I had lost except for 18 pounds!!!

I am off to a good start to get the weight off again.................

I have never had creme brulee.
  • mrsbuzz
    mrsbuzz Posts: 576 Member
    Here is what I just ran across. thought you might be interested. this is from nuebella newsletter I get in my email.

In research at Purdue University, researchers studying rats have linked the use of artificial sweeteners with overeating, lower energy expenditures and weight gain. And a study in the January 2008 journal Circulation found an increased association with metabolic syndrome (a condition associated with increased risk for diabetes in adolescents and adults) in people drinking just one diet soda a day. While more research is needed before conclusions can be drawn from these studies, the questions raised are important.
  • mommachag
    i think coke or pepsi is trying to make a diet soda with stevia. have any of you head of it.

here's a link about the use of stevia( coincidentally i do use stevia since it doesny make me die :laugh:)

http://www.stevia.com/SteviaArticle.asp?ID=2269
  • Lisabeth
    Lisabeth Posts: 268
    First, I laugh because we call them "Soft Drinks" down here in Louisiana. I am a "former" Diet Coke addict.......and not for the caffeine either. I do not like regular soft drinks AT ALL...I'm not into the sugar thing...but there is something in Diet Coke that I'm addicted to. I have switched to Diet Rite also...the taste is different....but due to the Sodium in the Diet Coke is the reason I switched. I heard soft drinks of any kind, regular or diet are bad for you. I believe Diet is fine if drinking in moderation. I've allowed myself a ice cold glass of Diet Rite at night with my nightly snacks. But it's WATER WATER WATER!

:drinker:
  • Rachel6901
    Thank you for all the input from everyone. I did switch to Diet Rite Zero because I do have insulin resistance and am not to have any sugar. Plus there is no sodium, calories or caffeine in it. It is something I drink in moderation since water is actually my favorite drink. This is sweetened with splenda and does not give me the normal headaches that anything with sugar in it would normally cause.
  • SaiSrini
    SaiSrini Posts: 13 Member
    The thing with artificial sweeteners is, there are certain people who have problems with artificial sweeteners. Its not as if artificial sweeteners affect everyone.

Diet Rite is very good. I just tried the White Grape flavor, and its fabulous! Lovin' it.
This discussion has been closed.