Losing Weight While Traveling

Hi, everyone. I'm fairly new to MFP and am loving the experience so far! I've already lost a few pounds and it's only been a few weeks since I started counting calories. And from "lurking" on the board, it seems like there's a really encouraging, supportive group of individuals here. Nice to meet you all!

Anyway, I have a major concern and would love some advice. The key to my success so far has been cooking more at home/eating out way less and exercising more. But in just a few weeks, I'll be leaving for a 5+ week work-related trip that will prevent me from cooking at home or exercising as often as I would like to. I'm an Admissions Counselor at a university and will be traveling to California, Arizona, and Nevada for about 5 weeks, and it's literally going to be 5 weeks of working almost 24/7. Most of my time will be spent in the car, driving to and from various high schools and college fairs, and, from what I've from co-workers, it's really intense and when you get back to your hotel, you just want to collapse. One of my co-workers told me me that he puts on an average of 10 pounds every year when he does this annual trip, and I'm SO worried that I'll gain a bunch of weight - or worse, get sick - while on this trip!

Any advise on how to stay fit even if I have to limit my workout time (right now, I do about 4-5 days per week) and since I won't have as much control over what I eat every day? I'm certainly going to try buy most of my food from grocery stores (vs eating fast food every day), but any other suggestions that you might have would be great! Please share!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Luckily when I travel for work it is never more than 4-5 days at a clip. It will make a big difference if you have a fridge in your room, even better if you have a microwave. I know I don't get to pick the hotels I stay at so I am always at the mercy of others.

Besides buying food at the grocery, the biggest thing to remember is PORTION CONTROL! I can't control what other places feed me when I travel- many times lunches are catered in and I have to go with the flow. However, it is all on me to make the right choices. I even made it through a lunch catered by a fried chicken joint just fine...I opted for one piece of chicken breast, had a biscuit, but left all of the other fatty sides alone. Recently I did a corporate catered lunch from Panera- chips, cookies, sandwiches, and bottled juice and teas. I opted for water, a sandwich, no chips or cookie or caloric drinks. Really you can do this and not gain any weight, just make sure you make good choices and exert portion control!

Also when traveling, Starbucks is a life saver. I love their protein plate that has a hard boiled egg, peanut butter, apple slices, grapes, etc. That is a default breakfast or lunch for me if nothing else is around. Also, scope out restaurants in the locations you'll be traveling to ahead of time so you can scan their menus.
  • Awesome! Thanks for the advice!

I agree that portion control is key - I'll have to remember that. I try to execute that at all times even when I'm cooking my own meals at home, but it's important to remember that for the road as well. Also, I love your suggestion about scoping out menus before hand. That's a great way to go, and I hadn't even thought of that.

Anyone have any tips on exercise? Especially if the hotel(s) doesn't have a fitness center?
  • dancingj2
    dancingj2 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Part of my problem when I tralvel is the desire to order things I normally do not eat. And it showed a few years ago :( Try to order the same thing you have at home. Have one bowl ofd cold cereal and a banana even if it is expensive. Or fruit and a boiled egg. Don't be tempted by the make-it-yourself waffle machine or the chef making omlets.

I usally try to have a salad for either lunch or dinner. That helps keep my total calories down for the day. Try a supermarket salad bar.

Have some dinners in your hotel room either from a salad bar or room service. When I order room service I usally eat less than if I am out.

I am doing better at keeping track of my high calorie tempatations too. I avoid danishes, the bagles and bags of rasinets.

What I still struggle with is the exercise. When I am home I can bike or walk. When travelling, I struggle to get the the hotel gym. There was one hotel that I was at that had an exercise bag you could take to your room. It had a yoga mat, bands and other things.

The one thing I usally still do when I travel is yoga. I have a 15 minute routine that I have memorized.

Hope some of this helps!
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Part of my problem when I tralvel is the desire to order things I normally do not eat. And it showed a few years ago :( Try to order the same thing you have at home. Have one bowl ofd cold cereal and a banana even if it is expensive. Or fruit and a boiled egg. Don't be tempted by the make-it-yourself waffle machine or the chef making omlets.

YES! Very good point. A lot of times I stay at Hampton Inns or Courtyards that provide breakfast. I have to force myself to steer clear of the bacon egg and cheese sandwiches! I opt for the stuff I would eat at home- yogurt, cereal, oatmeal, fruit, toast, etc. and stay away from pastries, waffles, pancakes, and the aforementioned egg sandwiches. I also grab a piece of fruit to go from the breakfast area - they usually have bananas, so that's what I grab since it is easy to eat and not messy if I eat it on the go later in the day. Also, Hampton Inns (DAMN YOU!) provide afternoon cookies, and the smell wafts through the lobby. I try not to even look at them, lol.

As for exercise, I have been taking a Pilates mat class, so I have in mind some of those exercises I can do in my hotel room. You could always do lunges or some other exercise where you don't need equipment in the privacy of your room. If I am in an isolated area, like way out in the suburbs or in an industrial park, etc. I (obviously) won't go walking in the evening/night by myself. A lot of times I am in Washington DC, so as long as the weather is OK, I will go for a long brisk walk after work. Also, most hotels I stay at have a gym, so if walking outside isn't feasible, I will hit the treadmill or whatever equipment they have available. If I know my day will be crazy, I get exercise out of the way in the morning since it is easy to say "Screw it!" when you are exhausted at night.

Exercise is definitely the hardest part for me when traveling. Food I have covered now I have done it enough but I find it waaaay to easy to slack on exercise when I am out of my normal routine.