Protein/Fat/Carbs

Options
Does it matter if you don't stick within exact numbers it gives you here on MFP? For example, I am working out tomorrow and it tells me I am over on the amount of protein, although I am well within my calories.

Replies

• sjcply
    sjcply Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    You can custom set your goals for whatever you want. For instance I do 40% prtn 30 fat 30 carbs....
    Go to home, then goals, then change goals and then custom......just change the percentages to whatever works for you.
  • dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I don't worry when I am over protein. I only worry when I am over calories, carbs and/or sodium. Those are the three bad numbers I have to watch.
  • Zeromilediet
    Zeromilediet Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Protein is set really low and carbs really high on MFP; these can be adjusted to whatever is appropriate for your goals. The default is easy to go over as you've realized. That being said, it's better to mentally average over your week and not focus on one day because there'll be daily fluctuations depending on your food choices.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating too much protein can be hard on your kidneys, but unless you are consistently way over or have a pre-existing kidney problem you probably don't need to worry about it. If you are concerned ask your doctor.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    I don't worry about protein. While to much can be hard on your kidneys if you're otherwise healthy it takes a ton of protein every single day for an extended period of time to actually do damage. When I was working out 5 days a week I typically got close to twice my recommended protein. It was ok because my body was actually using it.

But, you do want to watch your carbs and fats. You should never be over on either of those because your body only uses them for energy. If you are getting more than your body needs at any one time your body will convert the excess into fat.
  • alliooops
    alliooops Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks all - you have confirmed what I was thinking. Am more worried about too many carbs or fat than I am about too much protein. I thought that protein was a good thing because it keeps you fuller for longer, but everything in moderation.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    If you're eating over your body weight in protein grams per day, you could MAYBE start to give some organs some issues. Even that is probably a long shot. I recommend altering your macronutrients so that your protein is whatever gives you your body weight in grams, and then splitting fat and carbs equally with the leftovers. You are right about protein helping with satiety, and if you are exercising weekly, even if it's not a LOT of exercise, your body will use that protein to make you look much more fit ;)