Lean protein, low carb--running low on ideas

Options
Huffdogg
Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
I will start this off by saying that I have an extreme distaste for what I call "fake foods." There is no such thing as milk that didn't come from a breast. Tofu makes me cringe. Etc. So I know I'm limiting myself. I'm fine with that. That having been said:

I'm focusing on fish (what a fight with sodium!) for the protein + omega-3's, chicken for it's easy inexpensive availability, nuts like almonds and walnuts for their massive portability and colossal antioxidant properties, and greek yogurt as a veggie dip to get my good fresh veggies and all their nutritious high-fiber goodness.

I really enjoy beef and pork but I'm having trouble getting my hands on reasonably-priced cuts that aren't overloaded with TONS of fat. Maybe I'm looking at things improperly. What should I be looking for?

I'm incorporating some beans into my diet (especially red and black) but oh my are they carb BOMBS. If I have beans in my day I pretty much can't take in any other carbs at all lol.

Can anyone suggest any other options for me? Or tune me up if I'm looking at something all bass-ackwards?

Replies

• d_dave_c
    d_dave_c Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Eggs (Egg Beaters if cholesterol is a worry).

Put it in stir fry, whip up a veggie omelet.

Egg Beaters are also pasteurized, so you can put them into shakes for a protein boost.
  • Loko_Ino
    Loko_Ino Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    flank steak is cheap and low in fat for red meat so buy that...that also includes skirt steak.

tofu is not fake, just the processed soy. that is like saying ice cream is fake cause it is processed milk.

anything from a breast is not needed by the human body if it does not come from the human body.

but yea, try flank or skirt steak man.
  • ThatGuysFriend
    Options
    Have you ever tried venison? It is dang cheap if you shoot, skin, and slice it yourself. Plus it is one of the healthiest mammal meats out there. Depending on how you cook it it tastes just like beef without all the extra Fat and such. It isn't really everyone's thing, but it has always worked great for me.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Have you ever tried venison? It is dang cheap if you shoot, skin, and slice it yourself. Plus it is one of the healthiest mammal meats out there. Depending on how you cook it it tastes just like beef without all the extra Fat and such. It isn't really everyone's thing, but it has always worked great for me.

I eat venison whenever I get it, but I don't have the time to hunt anymore. I've been looking into buffalo meat, also. One of the highest protein/fat ratios out there.