Pizza

Options
So, the hubby and I haven't eaten pizza in forever...what do you try/do to make it "better" for you? Any good recipes or ideas?

Replies

• Pmorgan2
    Pmorgan2 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My wife and I cook pizza on Chinese wonton Pi, which are really thin for making wontons to cut out the carbs. Plus, I think it highlights the toppings more while giving it a satisfying crunch factor and takes less time to cook. Toppings need to be a little less wet though.

Some toppings to consider, which vary in healthiness, are:

Classic Margherita - Mozzarella cheese (preferably the fresh wet kind) with basil and tomatoes. The cheese is of course fatty, but the taste is great!

Tex-mex - Toasted corn kernels, black beans, cilantro, diced tomatoes, and a little sour cream.

Ahi & Aioli - Seared or sashimi Ahi cubes, tomatoes, and simple aioli (mayo mixed with garlic, lemon juice) but with shoyu. Alternatively, use wasabi instead of the unhealthy aioli.

Prosciutto & creme fresh - Prosciutto slices, with yellow corn and creme fresh (or just sour cream).

Cutting the dough and cheese might not make it a pizza anymore, but they're tasty anyway!
  • monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I think its all about moderation. My boyfriend & i usually make our own that way we control the grease/salt/etc :)

We usually make our own dough, which ends up being the fattiest part of the meal just carbs. Then we make our own tomato sauce from fresh tomatos and we dont put much on..then we load it with veggies and occasionally add salami. So much better than ordering in when its full of fat!!
  • nickscutie
    nickscutie Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    whole wheat crust

less cheese or use low fat cheese

top with lots of fiber filled veggies like broccoli or cauliflower

put some leaner protein on there like grilled chicken or chicken/turkey sausage
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I can get 1/2 a large pizza under 600 calories if I:

Have a thin crust (wholewheat is best)
    Have vegie toppings (Love onion, capsicum, tomato, mushroom, olives, garlic, oregano on tomato base)
    Use low fat cheese, and don't go overboard on the cheese.

Pizza Hut and Dominos have 600 calorie 1/2 large veggie pizzas here in Australia (thin crust).