Salads

Options
t_rog
t_rog Posts: 363 Member
I love em, but they NEVER seem to fill me up. Or really satisfy my hunger at all. It seems they're only good as side dishes, or with a crap ton of meat, cheese and croutons in them haha (but unfortunately that's a lot of calories I can't spare). I made myself a salad for lunch (lettuce, tomato, cucumber, carrots), but it's just not cutting it.....Anyone have any suggestions of low cal options to put in them?

Replies

• _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    My salads are usually pretty huge. I like to put beans and grains on them to make them more filling – quinoa, barley, black-eyed peas, black beans, chickpeas, etc. If you don’t put too much on them they don’t add a ton of calories, but I generally try to add as much as I can to salads because I need the calories.
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    You can always add some protein to help fill you up. Try adding a hard boiled egg or some tuna. That seems to help me.
  • harley0269
    harley0269 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    dont use iceburg lettuce.
    try romaine or spinach. its much more filling
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I add red peppers, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, and then yes some precooked chicken is very filling on salads. I usually add feta cheese and a no calorie dressing I have found that is wonderful. I may add a few crackers with my salad but not all of the time. This is almost my lunch daily and I don't want anything else to eat until 3:30 or so.
  • t_rog
    Options
    I add red peppers, green peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, olives, and then yes some precooked chicken is very filling on salads. I usually add feta cheese and a no calorie dressing I have found that is wonderful. I may add a few crackers with my salad but not all of the time. This is almost my lunch daily and I don't want anything else to eat until 3:30 or so.

NO calorie??? Do tell!
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I've eaten a salad every day almost for the past three months. Love them!! My body actually craves it now if I don't get it. I'm not too big into lettuce so mine are usually tons of cucumber, tomato, radish, and tons of onion. I splurge on real Ranch dressing and eat crackers with it. It usually fills me up! Sometimes I eat grilled chicken with it, too, though.
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,820 Member
    Options
    I felt the same and my nutritionist said to make sure that is had protein. She suggest ed chic peas, almonds, tuna fish, goat cheese or feta cheese and even chicken. It is lot better. 2 cups total, and 2 tablespoons of dressing.
  • Sieggie
    Options
    Boars Head Oven Gold Turkey or Chicken Breast. Walden Farm salad dressings....zero calories, zero fat, zero carbs.....zero everything. The best one, I find, is the Balsamic Vinaigrette. I add a touch of red wine vinegar to it. Good Luck!
  • nannatron
    Options
    you could also try adding a half-cup of cooked brown rice or something like couscous, bourghal or barley if you find that you get hungry again very quickly. x
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options

NO calorie??? Do tell!

It is Walden Farms dressing. They have several flavors out there to pick from. I prefer Southwest Ranch and it is zero across the board for calories, sugar, sodium. I have seen it at our grocery store with the sugar-free type food or gluten free food. I buy mine at a fruit market where I shop for my fruit and vegetables.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    I will have to searh for the Walden Farms dressing...do you think it's in the "healthy" section of Krogers?
  • kimtpa1417
    kimtpa1417 Posts: 461 Member
    Options

NO calorie??? Do tell!

It is Walden Farms dressing. They have several flavors out there to pick from. I prefer Southwest Ranch and it is zero across the board for calories, sugar, sodium. I have seen it at our grocery store with the sugar-free type food or gluten free food. I buy mine at a fruit market where I shop for my fruit and vegetables.

I've seen these in the grocery store they just sound to go to be true. But maybe I will have to check them out...

I started using the Marie's yogurt dressing (in the produce section) and its 1/2 the calories and fat of regular and has protein so that helps and I LOVE it better than regular. I usually add 2oz of some sort of protein just as a filler
  • lerob
    Options
    I usually add a 1/4c of cashews to my salads, which are quite big -- 3 to 4 cups worth, at least -- and this adds quite a bit of texture and taste to the salad with the added benefit of some protein.
  • Iamfit4life
    Iamfit4life Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I add avocado(you may want to half it) and goat cheese

in addition to pepitas and a bit of flax seed

That, cucumbers, carrots, spring greens, and grape tomatoes.
    A bit of whatever kind of dressing you like

Perfection
  • TressaBarron
    Options

NO calorie??? Do tell!

I've seen these in the grocery store they just sound to go to be true. But maybe I will have to check them out...

I started using the Marie's yogurt dressing (in the produce section) and its 1/2 the calories and fat of regular and has protein so that helps and I LOVE it better than regular. I usually add 2oz of some sort of protein just as a filler

Here's the Walden Farms website: http://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html# it seems they have "trace calories" but I don't like that I don't know what the heck most of the ingredients really are, lots of "flavors". Seems too artificial for my taste. I just like some fresh squeezed lime juice on my veggies for salad.
  • t_rog
    Options

NO calorie??? Do tell!

Here's the Walden Farms website: http://www.waldenfarms.com/nutrition_facts.html# it seems they have "trace calories" but I don't like that I don't know what the heck most of the ingredients really are, lots of "flavors". Seems too artificial for my taste. I just like some fresh squeezed lime juice on my veggies for salad.

Whoa, they have a bunch of no calorie foods. No cal pasta sauce.....i'm definitely skeptical. Anyone have experience with this stuff?
  • Spitfirex007
    Spitfirex007 Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I love to mix my salad with tuna. Taste great, extremely good for you and fills me up! I also love to put chicken on my salad.
  • SophRW
    SophRW Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I've tried tons of the Walden Farm's products. IMO the salad dressings are disgusting. Absolutely not worth it. However, I DO like their chocolate syrup, pancake syrup and carmel dip. I think their sweet products are much better than their salad dressings.
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Mediterranean Tuna Salad
    Serves 2

Salad Ingredients:
    1/2 red tomato cut in wedges
    2 oz feta cheese crumbled
    1/2 small red onion sliced
    1/2 red pepper cut into strips
    6 oz can solid white tuna packed in water (drained)
    1/4 C kalamata olives
    1/8 head of romain lettuce (torn into bite size pieces)

Dressing Ingredients:
    1 T extra virgin olive oil
    1 T lemon juice
    1/2 T Dijon Mustard
    1/2 T minced fresh tarragon
    1/8 t pepper

On two salad plates evenly divide the salad ingredients. In a small bowl whisk together the 5 salad dressing ingredients and drizzle evenly over each salad

306 Calories
    24 g fat
    6g sat fat
    18 g mono fat
    61 mg cholesterol
    10g carb
    26g protein
    2 g fiber
    609 mg sodium

I absolutely love this salad. YUMMY!
  • NorthernCally
    Options
    I don't know if this will help, but I like to make"super" salads: baby spinach leaveswhatever veggies are on hand, plus a red delicious apple, tuna, salmon or grilled chicken, hard-boiled eggs, dried cranberries (not too much, because of the sugar), sunflower seeds, a bit of cheddar cheese (I know it's higher in fat, but as long as you're 'frugal' with it!), and a vinaigrette. With a big bowl of it, it takes longer to eat, so I don't just scarf it down and then look around for the next food.