PCOS Q and A...ladies pls chim in!!!

Options
ok, so I have a doc appt tomorrow --the dreadful Gynecologist!!!---dun, dun, dunnnn!!! I have a few questions for her regarding this PCOS-Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome diagnosis. Mainly, what can I do to increase my health by way of weight lost.
Does anyone out there have any other suggested questions that I shoud be concern/asking?

Replies

• terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with it in November. My doc put me on a low carb diet and ordered me to exercise. I walk most days and am still eating low carb. I feel so much better now...and I have lost 40 pounds! My last checkup was stellar...and I don't have to see my doc again unless I start to feel "off" again.

Good luck tomorrow!
  • Andee08
    Andee08 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your appointment. Make sure she knows how to deal with PCOS. You would be surprised how many doctors don't truly understand PCOS. Ask her if your levels are bad enough for Metformin. I found that once I was on the correct dose of Metformin I could truly tell a difference. I was able to sleep, my mood swings calmed down (in fact I didn't realize I was having mood swings until they got better!), I started to lose weight, and see if she has any suggestions on diet. I am eating lower carb and that seems to help quite a bit. The big thing I have found, is make sure she has follow-up appointments with you. The first doctor I went to put me on birth control and told me that I don't have to come back for 12 months...my current doctor saw my levels, was amazed that my previous doctor didnt want to see me. She put me on Metformin immediately and had me check in every 3 months until she felt comfortable that the medicine was working.
  • Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    My daughter has PCOS and her doctor put her on cinnamon capsules and DEHA to help her sugar levels along with a low carb high protein diet and exercise.
  • Iwillshyne
    Options
    Yes, my last doc put me on BC too. And I gained 12 pounds in a month. Not cool!
  • buddalisa
    Options
    I suffer with PCOS it does make you put on weight and quickens the hair growth on your body. You have it all your life with flair ups when ever it feels like coming back. I find if im down in the dumps it comes back or if i gain a few pound it comes back i had mine operated on because they were sooooo bad i would be doubled up in pain for hours at a time. Herbal tea works ok, dairy causes me problems with my PCOS dont ask me why but it does. There is medication you can get for it but ive learnt to manage it myself with food control and walking but its also why i have such difficulty in losing weight. If you have any questions gimme a shout x
  • jessicae1aine
    Options
    I second the asking about Metformin. I know many people who have greatly improved their health and lessened their PCOS symptoms with it!
  • sandy2006
    sandy2006 Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    The 1st dr I asked said BC and low carb diet and exercise. I saw a 2nd Dr and she put me on met, It was horrible for me, my blood sugar was all over the place and would get really low in the 40s so I gave it up. Now I have taken it in my own hands.. Went on BCpills to control cycts, Im controlling my food intake especially carbs, exercise daily, take omega3, multi vit, vitB, cinnamon and I feel terrific!

I know women that had success on Met. So Im not knocking it. Just not for me.
  • tigeratty
    tigeratty Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I agree with Andee 100% Someone should have caught my situation years ago.

BCP help me a lot with the acne. I'm menopausal and close to switching to HRT but for now it's a low dose BCP.

My mom is in her late 60s and still breaks out occasionally. (I'm convinced we all have/had PCOS back to my great grandmother).

Don't want to scare you but I'm already diabetic, so I take metformin. My weight has the biggest impact on my A1C test results.

I'm also hypothyroid, so it's a big autoimmune mess and makes it harder to lose.

I figured all of this out when I was trying to get pg. PCOS didn't prevent that. (Hypothyroid and age did). I got gestational diabetes and it didn't go away. (5% of people; see aforementioned terrible family history).

Again, I'm not trying to scare you. I just wish I had gotten the weight off in my 30s. I had my son at 38 and I'm 45 now.

South Beach Diet is good for this.

Check out the website soulcysters.com

Best of luck to you!
  • whatwentwrong
    Options
    what meds are you guys on? my doctor put me on provera because of my weight, but she made me cry during the appointment and i was depressed and ended up never taking it, and now that i'm getting healthy i'm terrified of messaging her and asking her to re-prescribe, and also scared of getting a new gynecologist because they might be just as rude about it.
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    what meds are you guys on? my doctor put me on provera because of my weight, but she made me cry during the appointment and i was depressed and ended up never taking it, and now that i'm getting healthy i'm terrified of messaging her and asking her to re-prescribe, and also scared of getting a new gynecologist because they might be just as rude about it.

id go to an endocrinologist instead (i LOVE mine) (dont be afraid to ask if they care f uck em') to the poster- i was on metformin from Dec.-July 5th but got taken off because i dont need it anymore :) im going to be put on spironolactone (helps with excess hair, and a side note helps acne) at the next appt (you have to be on birth control to take it) but we wanted to see if i still got my period without the metformin first and i DID!
  • kleavitt1992
    kleavitt1992 Posts: 592 Member
    Options

id go to an endocrinologist instead (i LOVE mine) (dont be afraid to ask if they care f uck em') to the poster- i was on metformin from Dec.-July 5th but got taken off because i dont need it anymore :) im going to be put on spironolactone (helps with excess hair, and a side note helps acne) at the next appt (you have to be on birth control to take it) but we wanted to see if i still got my period without the metformin first and i DID!

P.S i haven't done any "Special Diets" to lose all the weight i did just mfp
  • questionablemethods
    questionablemethods Posts: 2,174 Member
    Options
    I don't have it (at least as far as I know) but I have heard some truly remarkable stories from people who have had dramatic improvements on low-carb diets, as others have mentioned. (Specifically, paleo diets, but that's because that's what I've been reading about lately.)

Best of luck!
  • xASHYxSMASHYx
    xASHYxSMASHYx Posts: 175 Member
    Options

I have also experience a similar situation at one point. No doctor should make you feel that way. They should be sympathetic to your situation, and do their best to work with you to find solutions, not lecture you and make you feel like crap. I don't care what all their medical training tells them, unless they have experienced what you have they can't ever really understand how you are feeling. You don't deserve that. Find a new doctor, an endo would be good, or even a natural health practitioner I have had really good experiences with them. Don't be afraid to try out several doctors until you feel like you find the right one. I went through six doctors telling me "I was just depressed" before I finally found one who actually ran the proper tests and gave me a real diagnosis.
  • nothereanymore
    Options
    Questions that I asked my doctor:
    1. Check to see if I am starting to become insulin resistant/blood pressure/cholestrol. (If you go for a diabetes test take a book it is about a 2-3hr test)
    2. Is there any suppliments you should be on
    3. What is the treatment path they have for you to get your PCOS under control (my doctor didn't tell me I even had PCOS until 2 months after surgery to unblock a tube and remove some endrometriosis, and did ovarian drilling without even discussing that option with me) Make sure you and your doctor are on the same page so there are no surprise down the road.
    4. If you should see a nutritionist/dietian
    5. How often you should be going in for a check up

Hope that helps