Mexican restaurant addict....

Options
I'd like to hear some ideas about what to order in Mexican restaurants. I really like the cheesy chicken and rice dishes, but that has more than 1,000 calories generally. Any ideas? I'm not a huge fan of the fajita, but maybe I just need some ideas on how to order it to make it tastier. Thanks!:smile:

Replies

• monicanicoletta
    monicanicoletta Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I usually get tortilla soup, a small cup & the mexican shrimp cocktail..with cunks of avocado, onion, spice, yum!! and low in cal
  • terrellc1
    terrellc1 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I like tacos al carbon on a corn tortilla rather than flour. No sourcream or guac...but lots and lots of pico de gallo and fresh lettuce. I stay away from the beans and rice, too.

There are days when I go all out and get cheese enchiladas with all of the works, though! Gotta live a little. :)
  • Kimdbro
    Kimdbro Posts: 922 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to Mucho Burrito. I was getting the Chicken Burrito loaded. Now I am opting for what is called a 'bare bowl" basically everything normally found inside the wrap but in a bowl (I've stopped ordering the shell as well and just eat out of the bare container) by deleting the tortilla shell alone I save 320 calories. This is huge, I can now eat there for around 350 calories which is pretty darn good for eating out! Sometimes it doesn't take much to still be able to eat what you love.
  • wendybrian
    Options
    Refried beans with cheese!!! Got to have the protein!!!!
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Well, if what you like about Mexican food is fat and starches drown in cheese, you should probably stop trying to make it healthy. If you like it because of the flavor profile, there are a few options...

tostadas with light or no cheese or sour cream - eat half the tostada shell
    corn tortillas have less calories than flour
    fajitas are the best bet for meat
    black beans are full of fiber and high in protein
    fresh salsa is a great source of vitamin c and a serving of veg for the day
    avocado is a fantastic source of healthy fat
  • Faythee
    Faythee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Not sure about the restaurants but for breakfast I like to make a low carb tortilla with eggbeaters a little cheese and salsa.
  • it_be_asin
    it_be_asin Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I'm vegetarian. I include rice, beans, salsa, and maybe a little cheese and/or guac, but avoid tortillas - they are so calorie intense for what they are, so i avoid them at lunch and may have one at dinner.
  • mjersh
    Options
    whole wheat tortilla with chicken and veggies.. leave off the sour cream, guac and cheese.
  • goodme02
    goodme02 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    2 corn-shell tacos filled with beef, tomatoes, and lettuce. NO CHEESE!!
  • healthybabs
    healthybabs Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    Personally, I am a carnitas fan on warm corn tortillas with guac, pico and some black beans
  • puppywalker
    puppywalker Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Thank you all for your suggestions! Very helpful!