How do I really know how many burned calories?

Options
Today I did 45 minutes on the elliptical at the gym. It was the "fat burner" and my heart rate was above 150 the entire workout. I'm 40 years old so 150bpm is pretty intense (mostly because I'm out of shape).

After 45 minutes, I'm sweating like a pig, the calorie counter on the elliptical says 275. However, when I enter it in MFP, it shows over 700!

Sure, calorie burning will vary from person to person - but a 325 calorie difference?

Besides buying an expensive body bug, how do I know what the "true" ballpark burn is? Right now I'm trusting the lower number to ensure that I don't overeat. But, I'd really like to know at least within a 100 calories of what I burn....

Ideas? Tips?

Brandon

Replies

• amysuespears
    Options
    Did you enter your weight into the eliptical? I find when I don't enter my weight, I burn quite a bit less than what it says I burn.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    You don't need an expensive bodybug... youc an get a good HRM with a chest strap for about $70 -- thats the only way to know for sure. I have seen much bigger differences in MFP vs my HRM ---- and MFP is usually much too high.

PS 275 is probably much closer than 700
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    I would believe the 700 on MFP. That sounds about right. Something is not right on the machine. If I am really kicking *kitten* on the eliptical I can get just over 500 in 30 minutes, and just over 1000 in an hour. Believe MFP, and find a new eliptical. Nice workout.
  • hazelnut861
    hazelnut861 Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    You don't have to get a body bug. You can get a polar or something. Enter your weight and stuff on the machine and it'll be more accurate. Also staying in the fat burning zone isn't always best. You'll burn more calories the harder you work obviously and burn a higher percentage of fat but having a high protein snack or shake after will prevent you from losing lean muscle.
  • rachellepilcher
    Options
    Unless the equipment takes into account your weight/age then it is not accurate and I find MFP is usually too high but not by too much...until you can get a HRM I would go by the MFP and maybe take off a bit (maybe 50-100 cal)