School Lunches for a Picky Eater?

Options
I'm about to return to school tomorrow, and this is the first time that I have a lunch in my schedule. In years past, I have brought my lunch each day, but often times they were very unhealthy. I only started using MFP and getting in shape this summer, so I've never learned how to plan my lunches accordingly. I've been eating a lot of Lean Pockets, or meatless burgers/patties, etc, and our school only has a toaster that the students can use; there's a microwave, but I'd have to have a teacher use it for me. I'm a really picky eater which is why I've been so limited to what I can eat, but I am willing to at least give ideas a thought or try. I plan to bring my lunch three days a week, and let myself have a school lunch or go out to lunch the other two-I usually stick with my healthy eating on the weekends.
-I don't like fruit, but I do like most vegetables.
-A lot of cold cuts are iffy for me and I only will eat them so often.
-I don't have a lot to spend on expensive foods, which is another reason why this is really difficult.
Any ideas would be greatly appreciated! : )

Replies

• dfborders
    dfborders Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Salads are great lunches to pack. You don't always have to have lettuce - sometimes I make salads with just tomatoes, cucumbers, etc. If you enjoy some type of bean you can throw that in there for protein. What about cold chicken? You can grill it or sautee it over the weekend and then chunk it into salads or make yourself cold sandwhiches. I often buy chix thighs and legs when they are on sale (just don't eat skin). Good Luck and experiment. Also do a google search or two on the computer for healthy lunches. I get tons of ideas and recipes that way.
  • lbeasey
    lbeasey Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Wraps filled with vegetables, take a container with peanut butter and dip celery or apples into it, cheese sticks, salads, almonds or nuts.
  • Andrea_Alexis_1980
    Options
    My daughter is a picky eater also , she does enjoy pita wraps some turkey slices with some veggies inside or just a veggie wrap ... How about a chicken salad , what about leftover dinner just warm it up ....... This week i'm making homemade pita pizza pockets for her she don't really like regular bread finds it so boring so with pita you can try different things .... Hope this helped =)
  • dma1988e
    Options
    My daughter takes a salad of baby spinach, 2 or 3 sliced strawberries, sliced almonds and balsamic vinaigrette, maybe blueberries. I know those things can be pricey, but it makes several salads. She doesn't do grilled chicken, but I do. I love fruit with spinach, sometimes I even skip the dressing.
  • kermie019
    kermie019 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Do you like salads? If so, you can get a large container, fill with lettuce (I like to mix cheaper iceberg with romaine). Top with chicken, nuts, seeds, turkey, ham, cheese (feta, cheddar, whatever), and/or other vegetables. I like to copy some of the salads from Panera and add sliced apples or strawberries.

Other thoughts are string cheese, PB&J, yogurt and fruit, or smoothie (freeze overnight and put in a thermos).

I make about 4-5 lunches per day for my family with varying tastes. I like to do some prep work on Sunday such as chopping celery and carrots then put in bags. I also bag up pretzels or goldfish for the week. My son does not like sandwiches so he gets cheese cubes and rolled turkey or ham. I also like to send fruit like apples or grapes, which travel well (strawberries tend to get mushed). I have also used a wide mouth thermos for warmed soup or pasta.
  • lauradupree
    Options
    Hi,
    One of my favorite lunches is homemade sandwich wraps. You can use a flour tortilla or a flat bread made for wraps. I spread a Tablespoon of whipped cream cheese and spread it very thinly, so that you can hardly tell its there. Then I put my favorite veggies in... spinach leaves, onion, bell pepper, tomato, and/or reduced fat thin sliced cheese (about an ounce), and/or shaved deli style turkey slices (about an ounce). I do some combination of this at least once a week. Idea #2 Sometimes, I take a slice of veggie pizza. Idea #3 My daughter takes a yogurt (honey flavor is good) and veggie slices with a small amount of ranch dressing. Idea #4 You might try a layered bean dip. I make mine with about 1/4 cup refried beans in 1/2 cup container. Next, I layer salsa, some veggies, and/or just put about 2 Tablespoons of reduced fat cheese, and one or two olives sliced on top to make it look pretty. I take 12 or 13 tortilla chips ( a servings worth) which I liberally dip into the bean dip. I like PBJs as well, but I have to be careful with them. Salads make a nice side dish to the ideas that I use. It helps fill me up.
  • nicakk01
    nicakk01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Do you like soup? Try making your own soup, they are much better tasting and better for you plus you can freeze them in individual servings to bring with you.

I love almonds - great with raw veggies and cheese

Banana peppers are really good stuffed with feta cheese and spices, I use rosemary, cilantro, etc... whatever you like

stay away from cold cuts if you can....not very good for you - better to use fresh meats, that you cook at home.

My son is very picky, I try to give him, as much fruit and veggies with some grains if at all possible for lunch