Good Calories Bad Calories

Options
Has anyone read this book? Opinions? I just started reading it today and am finding it pretty interesting but I'm only a couple of chapters in.

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    No but I imagine good calories = lean meat and fish... and bad calories = the good stuff, like pie, cake and donuts :)
  • veganhoneys
    Options
    I haven't read the book, but I am of the opinion that labeling calories as "good" and "bad" can lead to an unhealthy relationship with food. Guilt and negative self-talk that come from labeling something as "bad" can be more detrimental than you know.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    The book title is probably a little misleading. It's focus is more on the correlation between eating animal fats and proteins vs. vegetable fats and incidence of heart disease and longevity. Like I said, I'm only a couple of chapters in but so far, it is just going over studies done over the years that lead the American Heart Association and USDA to make the dietary guidelines about what we should be eating.
  • lwintx
    lwintx Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Is that the Gary Taubes book? I haven't read it, but I've read a more recent book by him "Why We Get Fat." I think it's based on "Good Calories, Bad Calories" only more read-able. It seems counter to a lot of the dietary information out there, but a lot it made sense to me.
  • TressaBarron
    Options
    Is that the Gary Taubes book? I haven't read it, but I've read a more recent book by him "Why We Get Fat." I think it's based on "Good Calories, Bad Calories" only more read-able. It seems counter to a lot of the dietary information out there, but a lot it made sense to me.

Yes, it's by Gary Taubes.