quinoa ???

Options
I saw it at Walmart last time I was there. It was like 4 bucks for a medium box... What do I do with it, how do I cook it and is it good? I like to try new things but I was scared to buy it cuz I didn't know what to do with it.

Replies

• LovesNoodles
    Options
    quinoa is fantastic! You can cook it in some chicken broth in a pan to give it flavor. I make a quinoa salad with fried onions and garlic with cucumbers, steamed broccoli and red peppers :-)
  • supertracylynn
    supertracylynn Posts: 1,338 Member
    Options
    I use it in place of rice and pasta. My kids love it, and so does my hubby :happy:
  • Ruchell
    Ruchell Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It's very versatile and cooks similar to rice. I have a crock pot of quinoa breakfast cereal (with nuts and dried fruit) cooking right now but it's a new recipe so I can't say how it will turn out. I love to make a dish with it, mixinglack with black beans and corn, cilantro and seasonings. I'll be interested to read what everyone else says!
  • ckdub428
    ckdub428 Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    bump. I have a box in the pantry and no clue what to do with it!
  • holliemckeeth
    Options
    It is a great source of protein. Rinse/soak it really well so it doesn't taste bitter. Cook with a 2:1 ratio of water and quinoa. I've also use a chicken broth instead of water. You can use it in any way you would rice. I really like in place of pasta too. I have also put in veggie burritos. I've heard people also put it in smoothies. I bet there are some really good recipes on the internet. Costco has a good price on a large bag.
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I looked for it the last time I was grocery shopping, at HEB. Does anyone know what section it would normally be in? Have been wanting to try it. Thanks!
  • jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of the worst tasting things I have ever eaten. I tried it many ways trying to hide the ickiness that it was and nothing I tried made it edible. I tried it because it is on the list of things I am allowed to eat, but if that is what I am allowed to eat I would rather starve! I have had quinoa pasta though and it is good.

Good luck.
  • sugarbomb83
    sugarbomb83 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    You should also try quinoa pasta! AMAZING!
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    You can cook it like you would rice and you can have it either warm or cold and eat it in a number of ways. It us a great source of protein and tastes amazing - try a few different kinds and check out some recipes online to see what fits your tastes! Have fun experimenting!
  • MellyPfromVT
    MellyPfromVT Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Vegetarian TImes has a great Quinoa Cherry Salad recipe on their website. I take it for lunch.
  • crzyone
    crzyone Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I looked in Walmart in the rice section, where did you find it at your Walmart?

And, how do you pronounce it????

Thank you,
  • Artemis_Acorn
    Artemis_Acorn Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I just bought my first box of it, and quite like it. I've made a pilaf and a stir fry using the quinoa instead of rice. I've also tried it plain with just a little salsa on it. All three dishes were delicious.
  • iamrobyn
    Options
    It's cheaper at Trader Joe's if you have one near you.

I have only made it with broth and have never experienced the bad taste people have written about. I have mostly used the red quinoa from Trader Joes. I follow the directions on the package. Mix it up with some black beans, natural salsa (chopped tomotos, onions, peppers), cilantro, fresh lime juice, frozen corn thawed out, and1 pack of 100 calorie Wholly Guacamole or 1/2 an avacado and a dash of salt. Mix it all up and enjoy! Lots of protein and supper yummy.
  • kelsiehoagland
    kelsiehoagland Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Use it in place of rice :) I LOVE quinoa. Make sure that, if you ever but it in bulk, you rinse it first. It'll have a bitter flavor if not. Try googling some recipes to feel extra inspired. I'll use it in burritos with beans and salsa or just mixed up with some frozen veggies with some seasoning. So good! :)
  • avaloneternal
    Options
    I tried quinoa several times and enjoyed the taste but am intolerant to it. It makes me extremely sick. Just be aware that this is a possibility before you stock up (like I did).
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    OO, yeah, I love quinoa. I also cook it up in either chicken or vegetable stock, depending on your tastes. I then simply add fresh tomatoes, cucumbers (diced) and black beans, sometimes throw in a little (diced) puple onion, garlic powder. I have added steamed broccoli to it, too. I've also had it in many of the same way we have rice down here in Arkansas, with butter and sugar (may be an acquired taste) and I've also had it with a simple gravy or au jus. I've also made it and tossed in a bit of parmesean, freshly grated, with some garlic powder. If you leave the parmesean on the top, you can blast it back into a broler and toast up the parmesean on top, and it makes it crunchy and divine. There really is little quinoa can't do, and it's extremely good for you.

Pj
  • Court2180
    Court2180 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I tried it once and loved it. I buy mine at Sprouts but I think it would either be with the rice or pasta if not there in the organic or healthy section. I use chicken broth and just go crazy with my spices...it's different every time. I like the red quinoa also, as far as I can tell it tastes the same but it's a little prettier!
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Remember to rinse first in a fine sieve as it is coated with a bitter substance. Then use like rice or in place of any whole grain. I have been getting diabetic recipe books/magazines and find it in them often. Cooking in low-fat, low-sodium broth increases flavor. Enjoy.
  • jessicamarie81
    jessicamarie81 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Saving this thread! I too am curious about it since I'm trying to focus on a more plant based diet...thanks!
  • piperjon
    piperjon Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I looked in Walmart in the rice section, where did you find it at your Walmart?

And, how do you pronounce it????

Thank you,

KEEN-wah. Or if you're in Arkansas, near me, KEEEEEEN-Waaaaaahhh. :-)
    Pj