Coffee in place of food

Options
Drinking coffee has been helping me lower my calorie intake. I know caffeine isnt good and normally I do try and avoid it. Do you think the benefits of lower caloric intake outweigh the negative effects of caffeine? Just curious on your opinions...

Replies

• mccgivens
    Options
    That's a good question. I too consume more coffee now that I have started this. Sometimes I I have the urge to go eat and coffee, often times, keeps me from hitting the fridge for food. Plus, it has a calming effect on me. Hope you find the answer you are looking for.
  • fitinyoga14
    fitinyoga14 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    It is possible to fit coffee into a healthy diet. Coffee should not be used as a meal replacement as it does not provide nutrients. Moderation is key.
  • hiemerapril
    hiemerapril Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Could always opt for decaf
  • MissingMyOldSelf
    MissingMyOldSelf Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    Normally, I make a homemade cafe mocha, made with Light Chocolate Soymilk, 10oz of coffee, and a heaping teaspoon of Splenda, and that's my snack on my way in to work. Coffee is a good appetite suppressant for me. I really don't mind the amount of caffeine in it, since I tend to drink more than 8 glasses of water a day, anyways. Plus, my version of it saves me a lot of money, and I love making them! :)
  • nat102
    nat102 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I'm sensing yes as the general consensus. I was actually expecting more no's lol!!
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Try replacing coffee with green tea, a known metabolism booster.
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    Coffee has some good antioxidants in it but studies show that if you use creamers, especially the coffee mate type stuff, you get less of the antioxidant benefit. Caffeine can actually increase your metabolism, but you shouldn't go over board on it with coffee all day and energy drinks.

The only reason I stopped drinking so much coffee is that I load in the sweet high calorie creamers. I've cut back on the creamer and have started to be able to take my coffee with just a little soy milk but it's not as fun.
  • nat102
    Options
    Try replacing coffee with green tea, a known metabolism booster.

I can't even compare coffee to green tea haha... I wish I liked it put I just dont. I like the sweet coffee taste :)
  • routerguy666
    Options
    I'll give you a contrary point of view, I guess. Or different at least.

I used to drink a lot of coffee every day. At a minimum, a few venti iced americanos from starbucks. Think that's a dozen shots of espresso total, and there would be random cups of coffee throughout the day as well.

When I decided to get in shape, the doctor asked that I dial it down to one caffeinated per day and go decaf on the rest. She didn't want the hunger blunting effect of the caffeine messing with the acceptance of a new lifestyle/eating regiment and also didn't want my body to be getting the 'false' energy boosts from the caffeine.

So, I've done that for about 6 months. Just another perspective, and I don't get religious over it. I like coffee and when she tried to push to 'just cut it all out' I laughed.
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't try to replace meals with coffee and think that's a bad idea for anyone trying to get healthier.

Coffee is not bad. Barring some medical conditions, it's fine to drink coffee in moderation. There have been enough positive scientific articles regarding coffee intake that I will never think it's "bad".

Eat real food and drink coffee 1-3 cups/day if you want it (if you have no contraindications).
  • walkdmc
    walkdmc Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Coffee has some good antioxidants in it but studies show that if you use creamers, especially the coffee mate type stuff, you get less of the antioxidant benefit. Caffeine can actually increase your metabolism, but you shouldn't go over board on it with coffee all day and energy drinks.

The only reason I stopped drinking so much coffee is that I load in the sweet high calorie creamers. I've cut back on the creamer and have started to be able to take my coffee with just a little soy milk but it's not as fun.

Try the sugar-free French Vanilla's (Coffee Mate and Nestle have such flavors), unless you're a clean-eater.
  • girard5
    girard5 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Coffee is hard on your liver and you need your liver to help you to lose fat -so if your liver is busy processing caffeine then it's not processing everything else. But if you have to have some caffeine then I would opt for organic green tea and I would definitely recommend eating your meals not skipping them with a coffee
  • chedges9090
    chedges9090 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I actually just posted a comment about the same thing.. well, kind of. I use coffee as a "snack"--and drink it when I think I want to snack . The main thing that I have started is making Decaf Coffee after dinner. To me, it means "dinner/food over"-- and I don't tend to want anything else. I don't think coffee should be a meal replacement.. but, that wasn't how I interpreted your original question :) I am going to try making Ice Coffee as a snack during the day .. I think it will be yummy!!
  • nat102
    Options

Try the sugar-free French Vanilla's (Coffee Mate and Nestle have such flavors), unless you're a clean-eater.

I def will!!!! YUM!
  • nicothepotato
    nicothepotato Posts: 306 Member
    Options

I'm not a clean eater but I really don't like artificial sweeteners, they taste funny. Those non-dairy creamers really kill all the healthy positives of drinking coffee.
  • nat102
    Options
    I actually just posted a comment about the same thing.. well, kind of. I use coffee as a "snack"--and drink it when I think I want to snack . The main thing that I have started is making Decaf Coffee after dinner. To me, it means "dinner/food over"-- and I don't tend to want anything else. I don't think coffee should be a meal replacement.. but, that wasn't how I interpreted your original question :) I am going to try making Ice Coffee as a snack during the day .. I think it will be yummy!!

I need decaf for after din.. I love something hot to drink and hate the sugar and cals in other cappuccino or coffee mixes. And iced coffee is such a good snack. I add fat free milk and splenda to mine to it's about 25 cals :))
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    I drink coffee all day --- but I use decaf -- and I use it to mix my protein shakes :)
    It's like frappuccino but its healthy -- and it keeps me full all day. Win Win if you ask me.

More info: (from the mayoclinic)
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine/NU00600
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeinated-drinks/AN01661