feet going numb

Options
whenever i work out on the elliptical my feet start to go numb. it is usually around the 20 min mark so i can usually only do 30 min of cardio before it starts to really bother me. also i used to pull my shoe laces tight when i put them on and thought that might be the problem so i loosened the laces all the way down and it helped for a while but then they started going numb again. any suggestions or reasons why this may be happening?

Replies

• MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Hmm... somsone just posted this earlier -- might find some useful answers here.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/336351-why-do
  • tristanathan
    Options
    Mine do the same thing, but I have two bulging discs and a pinched nerve...so it could be a pinched nerve maybe?
  • oldy76
    oldy76 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Happens to me as well (around the same amount of time too), I just figured it was the lack of 'foot striking' that was doing it but really have no idea why! I just try to ignore it, but it can get painful huh.
  • sgha
    sgha Posts: 225
    Options
    I have the same problem cycling. I get 10-12 miles out and my toes go numb. I try to wriggle them
    around as much as I can. It doesn't make me turn around, but it sure is annoying. :huh:
  • Leigh_b
    Leigh_b Posts: 555 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem... my feet start to go numb around 25 minutes or so into the workout. I try to be concious of "rolling" the weight from heel to toe and that seems to help, but 45 minutes is my max. I've now taken up running... no numb feet... but much harder!
  • jillleanne
    jillleanne Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Its just how the circulatory system works. When your working out your body pumps more blood to your heart and lungs, instead of pumping it all the way out to the extremities. Your feet and fingers aren't as important as your organs are to keep you alive, so really it's just a mechanism used to make sure that oxygen is getting where it most needs to be. As you get used to the activity (and get healthier!) your body will become more efficient at pumping blood and the numbness will decrease.
    I wouldn't worry about it too much. But if it gets in your way maybe try the elliptical twice a day for twenty minutes instead of one big long stretch?
    But if your ever uncertain about it make sure to see your doctor.