I want to get out of the 25% BF range :'(

Options
I've been doing cardio & resistance training for a long time but I don't understand why everytime I check online body fat calculators, I always get results saying I'm 25.7% which is in the acceptable range. I wanted to be around 21-24% which is classified under fitness/healthy range. Since I reached my goal weight, I now focus more on strength training because I want to build more muscle. I'm medium framed & I don't think that I will ever going to have a body that will fit into a size 0. Another thing is that I'm losing weight & my bones are peeking out of my body more that I always bump into my hip bones & my lower spine especially when I do crunches but my BF% always stays this way. Does this mean that I'm losing more muscle than fat???

Replies

• Sparksfly
    Sparksfly Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    are you only using the online calculators? They are notorious for being flawed! Have you had a caliper test done at your local gym? It's not 100% accurate, but it's better than the online ones. You might have a lower BF and you just have been getting false results.

Good luck!
  • Xaspar
    Xaspar Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    You can't get a totally accurate measurement from the estimates you get with height and weight. If you truly want to know your body fat, I recommend getting a professional evaluation to know where you truly stand. I don't where in your area you should begin to look, but I have gotten a caliper measurement from a nutritionist before.
  • christy_frank
    christy_frank Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Actually get your BF% checked. There are some gyms that have a scale that can do this. It will give you a more accurate reading and it will tell you your BF% and muscle %.
  • AggieCass09
    AggieCass09 Posts: 1,867 Member
    Options
    are you only using the online calculators? They are notorious for being flawed! Have you had a caliper test done at your local gym? It's not 100% accurate, but it's better than the online ones. You might have a lower BF and you just have been getting false results.

Good luck!

yup...get it measured. still not 100% accurate by any means but the accurate way (water submersion) is expensive and scary. Those scales are also very off because you hydration level interferes!
  • adross3
    adross3 Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Buy a Taylor bmi scale.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options

Good luck!

yup...get it measured. still not 100% accurate by any means but the accurate way (water submersion) is expensive and scary. Those scales are also very off because you hydration level interferes!

I always wanted to try water submersion if only I have a budget for that. I heard its the most accurate way of measuring BF%. The main reason why I want to know my BF% is because I want to know if I'm still within my range or not as I still keep on losing weight despite upping my calories & doing strength training for 45-50 mins, 3 days a week. I hope its not muscle loss.
    Options
    You can't get a totally accurate measurement from the estimates you get with height and weight. If you truly want to know your body fat, I recommend getting a professional evaluation to know where you truly stand. I don't where in your area you should begin to look, but I have gotten a caliper measurement from a nutritionist before.

Thanks :smile: Maybe I'll try to go to a nutritionist to have it checked. Our local gym only has a digital BF analyzer but I know its also not accurate.
  • Silverkittycat
    Silverkittycat Posts: 1,997 Member
    Options
    Check your local gyms, fitness centers, health food stores and even drug stores like Walgreens, if you have them in your area. I've seen the mobile fitness setups with Bod Pods at all of these locations, sometimes only for a 1 day health/fitness event but at least you can get a bit closer to an accurate reading. Price varies anywhere from $40 to $80 in my area. One of our local community hospitals holds similar events every few months.

Good Luck! :smile:
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    google DEXA scan and see who offers them in your area, prices range $50-$200 for an appt though
    Options

Good luck!

Yea I supposed that I have a lower BF% because my bones are getting more visible & everybody that see me says that I'm getting thinner whenever they see me. I checked the online calculators & I also used a digital BF analyzer from our local gym. I'll see if they have the caliper testing. Thanks