Anyone here grain free?

Options
Ok, so I've heard from more than one holistic nutritionist that grains aren't good for you and you should give them up.

I've significantly cut down on my grain intake, but just don't know if I can live without bread (ok yes, I know I'm being dramatic).

Anyone else here grain free? How do you do it? Did you cut grains out one at a time or go cold turkey? Do you miss them?

I heard that once you're grain free for about 3 days the cravings go away. My chiropractor/nutritionist has a supplement that will level out the blood sugar, and thus will supposedly get rid of cravings. That SHOULD help, but I can't get it until payday next week. But if I can give up grain and sugar THIS week, I may not need that supplement. Thoughts?

God bless!

Replies

• Krjordan22
    Options
    perhaps you should try consulting a registered dietitian
  • NiciS72
    NiciS72 Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    I am but only due to Celiac disease. I do eat rice/corn based products once in awhile. But for the most part I stay away from simple carbs and stick to a high protein low carb diet. It was hard at first, but due to getting sick if I eat Gluten it was easier for me to cut it out. I don't really miss it now that I've wiped it from my daily diet. I will say if you do this to make sure you eat lots of roughage i.e. lettuce and broccoli to help replace what you'd get from the grains. Good luck!
  • gradgal01
    gradgal01 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I'm basically grain free (I eat brown rice on occasion when I go out to eat). I finally hit the breaking point with being upset about my weight and my body, so I went cold turkey at the end of July. Honestly, after 3 days I didn't crave bread or anything. It's difficult when you're surrounded by it, just out of habit, but I find that bread, etc. isn't even as good as I remember. I think I've grown unaccustomed to the texture, so when I've eaten chips or whatever recently I'm truly unsatisfied. I love cooking and food, but without grains eating has actually become kind of boring, so I eat less because of that (which sounds super bizarre). Lots of chicken, hard-boiled egg whites, and almonds. When I get desperate, I have sugar-free cookies lying around. Good luck!
  • Zigra60
    Zigra60 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I didn't have a choice I had too because I have celiac I have been gluten/grain free for 5 years now it was hard at first but within 2 to 3 weeks I noticed a big difference I slept better my moods were better. They have gluten free bread and rice pasta and yes I admit not as good as the real thing but you get use to it. Udi's has a great bread and bagels. Good luck!
  • curliegirl
    Options
    I finally hit the breaking point with being upset about my weight and my body, so I went cold turkey

THIS IS ME! I gave up gains about 2 weeks go because I kept gaining/loosing the same 2 lbs over and over over the last 6 months. I had gained 10 lbs over the past year. Nothing was working. I stopped the grains, sugar, and dairy for 2 weeks to see if it made a difference and it has. I have lost 5 lbs which to me is slow enough to be a healthy life style change not a diet(hate that word). I am going to add back in "some" grains & dairy over the next two weeks to analyze how my body handles them.

I will say this. After 3-4 days I don't crave anything. I get hungry. I eat something healthy(fruit, nuts, vegies etc) and then I am not hungry anymore. I second eating lots of fiberous vegies. Another thing that seems to help me is healthy fats. We are so trained to avoid fats but I think we are doing the wrong thing with that idea. I am taking a Primrose oil supplement each day and I am using Flax oil as my salad dressing. I feel so full after meals that it is strange considering I am not eating more in quantity. Eating fat gives you the feeling of being full longer than carbs ever would. It doesn' make sense that i am eating 50 or more grams of fat a day & I'm loosing weight--but I am. But it isn't fat from cookies, donuts & junk. It is fat that is good for you.

I also am sleeping better & I am not just wiped out when the day is over. I am tired but not so much I have to go lay down after supper is over. Having energy late in the evening is a good thing for your marriage too! :blushing:

I hope that helps! Friend me if you want or send me a message if you want more details.

P.S. I don't know why my ticker isn't showing my weigh loss--I really have lost 5 lbs!
  • dryfli
    Options
    i think balance is the key. balance in the types of foods you eat, balance in how much of them you eat. i have celiac disease and have been gluten/wheat/rye etc... free now for almost 3 yrs. if it wasn't bad for me. bad meaning making me physically ill. vomiting, diarrhea, painful joints, hair loss, bloating the list goes on and on... i would be still eating grains.
    the reality is if you eat too much carbs it will fatten you up. if you eat too much proteins, it is hard on your kidneys, if you eat alot of veggies and no meats etc, you run the risk of not having enough iron and building blocks for your body, for blood cells. if you eat too much red meat, can worsen gout, give you high cholesterol. get my drift? there is no one magic bullet. variety is the spice of life. staying healthy means finding the balace b/t the type of food, the quantity of the food, the amount of exercise (time) and the type of exercise you get. find your own balance, but do not omit. good luck!!
  • dryfli
    Options
    oh and i would not do a supplement at all. again, i think there are enough sources of nutrients you can find in the diet you choose to eat.
  • TheGlen
    TheGlen Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    I've just started on the "Paleo" diet. Although I'm not completely strict yet, I'm in the process of eliminating grains, along with dairy and processed foods. If you'd like to read a bit about it, this seems like a pretty good post; http://www.fitbomb.com/p/why-i-eat-paleo.html .

Even if you don't want to move entirely to the a Paleo diet, you might be able to find some good grain free recipes or suggestions on some of their boards/web sites.
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    perhaps you should try consulting a registered dietitian

One of the people who said to give up grains IS a registered dietitian.

God bless!
  • Michelle_M2002
    Michelle_M2002 Posts: 301 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!!

God bless!