How many calories will I burn during zumba?

Options
So i am going to wear my Heart Rate Monitor today to zumba class.

It is a 45 minute class.

I weigh 271 pounds, I am 5'5, and female.

Any guesses about how many calories I will burn during the class? :) I thought it would be fun to guess. I'll post here after what I actually burned :D

Replies

• adriennebrown
    Options
    I think you will burn about 280 calories - enjoy!
  • Chi_polar105
    Options
    OMG!!! Zumba is crazy.lol.I think you will burn at leat 300 calories(in 45min) cuz its non stop dancing and moving..Good Luck..
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    It really depends on how hard you workout. The first time I went to Zumba (hour long class) I burned almost 500 calories in an hour. The electricity had gone out and so the music was not very loud. So I don't know how much I really got into it. Then the next week the electricity was working just fine but we had another instructor who used totally different music and did everything a lot slower..........needless to say I only burned about 360 (even with the music on blast). So I can't wait for Wednesday night, we have the better instructor and hopefully electricity. I'm hoping to get closer to 600 calories. PS. I weigh 207 and am 5'7''.
  • natspoiledbrat
    Options
    So I totally forgot to include my guess...........I think if your workout is intense, then you will burn 400-430 calories in 45 minutes! Good luck!
  • DawnOf1969
    DawnOf1969 Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    I usually burn between 450-500 calories in Zumba. I'm 5'5" but 185 so you should burn at least that.
  • BeautifulScarsWECHANGED
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 500-650 calories...but I have a Heart Rate Monitor (HIGHLY recommended!!!!), and a 1 hour Zumba class. If you can't get a HRM, then I would under-estimate to be safe.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    id say A LOT! my guess is around 4-500! if you work it hard!
  • recipe4success
    recipe4success Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I burn anywhere from 500-650 calories...but I have a Heart Rate Monitor (HIGHLY recommended!!!!), and a 1 hour Zumba class. If you can't get a HRM, then I would under-estimate to be safe.

I have one, and am wearing it to the class! That is the point of the thread :D
  • HealthyEscape
    Options
    I usually burn anywhere from 6-850 cal/hr. My class is 60 minutes and my advice to you is just keep moving! Even if you arent in sync with the instructor or cant do the move correctly, just DANCE! Keep your HR up and you'll burn a ton of calories. I think you'll be in the 800 range! Cant wait to check back and see how you did :-)
  • AlannaPie
    AlannaPie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    LOTS!!!!
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I'd guess you'd be somewhere in the 500 calorie range, depending on how in to it you get. Have fun! :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I'll guess about 572.
  • GrammaPower
    GrammaPower Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    * Having been to only my 1st class last week - (don't know if this is your 1st? ) - MY Guess is 650-800 cals/hr IF you simply keep moving/dancing whether you know what your doing or not! But regardless - HAVE a BLAST! :laugh:
  • Nina74
    Nina74 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    My guess is 700-800. Interested to see the results!

(just got my hrm today..can't wait to see what it says, too!)
  • recipe4success
    Options
    drum roll..............

i burned 556 calories !

It ended up being 42 minutes, and the last 5 or so minutes were a cool down stretching time, so i think that is pretty good!

i love my heart rate monitor!

i wasn't bouncing around as much as some others, so i know that i can definitely burn more calories at this in the future

max heart rate 172 (90%) average heart rate 149 (78%)

Thank you everyone for guessing! :)
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    I was 16 calories off - good guessing there. Either way - that's awesome. I love my HRM too. Makes working out that much more fun to actually see what you are doing, as you are doing it!

Way to go!!
  • recipe4success
    Options
    I was 16 calories off - good guessing there. Either way - that's awesome. I love my HRM too. Makes working out that much more fun to actually see what you are doing, as you are doing it!

Way to go!!

Yes you did great with the guess! :) I agree that it makes it much more fun, plus i get an indication of how hard i'm working that is more tangible (i.e. the heart rate).
  • susi_q_xx
    susi_q_xx Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    shygal - could you let me know what make ur hrm/calorie counter is? I really want to get one but don't know where to start!!
  • cjpa1313
    cjpa1313 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Generally, at maximum effort (working at the top of your aerobic heart rate zone) you burn 10-12 calories a minute. Any time you stop (ie between songs) and your heart rate drops that number will go down, hence why most people burn around 300-400 calories in a 45 minute class. For an hour class if you are working as hard as you can and not stopping between songs you can burn up to about 720 calories in an hour class. Heart rate monitors will often over estimate but they give you a good idea of how much effort your are putting in and are perfect for monitoring your cardiac health because as you get in better shape it will take more effort to get your heart rate up.
  • becca2006
    becca2006 Posts: 26
    Options
    according to a site I looked it up on (i just did my first class) you'll burn 500 - 800 calories for an hour workout (the average 157 lb woman will burn about 535 it said) :)