high heart rate, hrm's and calories burned ???'s

Hi! I am trying to find out some info on hrm's for those who have a history of tachycardia (high heart rate)... I did a search for the forums on here, and couldn't find the answers I need... I know that the exercise machines (particularly ellipticals is what I use) have a reputation of being extremely inaccurate... but for instance last week each day that I exercised my hr according to the elliptical was between 189-200.... The machine kept beeping and stopping telling me that I had exceeded the max hr and needed to slow down.... I was looking at purchasing the Polar FT4, but if it constantly beeps and tells me I'm exceeding the max hr, then I don't know if it will be worth the purchase...if you are over what they consider your max will it continue to calculate your calories burned at that level? I just dont' want to waste money on a hrm if its not going to be accurate as far as telling me how many calories I've burned for stopping b/c I'm over the max hr limit.... Make sense or is that a stupid question?

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    i dont really think those things are very accurate anyways..i find they overestimate cals burned too.
  • CPrincipeDeSA
    CPrincipeDeSA Posts: 27 Member
    Makes sense. I have an FT60 and a high heart rate. It has continued recording and hasn't said "Stop!" Not a problem.
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    the FT 60 has a fit test which takes a base number from you and then calculates heart rate partially off that. It might be a better choice for your circumstance even though its a bit more.
  • MissMaryMac33
    MissMaryMac33 Posts: 1,433 Member
    The FT4 is not a bad option... I have the FT7 but wish I had spent a little more for the FT40 or FT60 so it can track V02 max and is a probably a little more accurate.

I would talk to the trainers at the gym about your levels...