meeting calorie goals with out sugar and salt

Options
Hey everyone!

I've been using MFP for about a month. At first I was just tracking what I ate...whatever it may be. I am having trouble meeting my calories without going over on my allowed sugar and sodium. Anyone have any tips? Today I was over my sodium by 437 and my sugar was over by 3, but I still have 212 calories left. Thanks!

Replies

• MrsHephron
    Options
    I've had similar problems. I have made sure all the can i buy now say low sodium or no sugar added. But everyone told me as long as its sugar due to fruits and veggies don't worry. I sort of agree I've lost 16 lbs, feel good and my blood pressure is still coming up on the low end. So kust keep counting calories and try your best to minimize salt. Good Luck!
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your food diary I can't pinpoint the foods that are putting you over. But, processed foods are always high in sugar and sodium. Make sure you avoid refined sugar as much as possible, but don't just replace it with artificial sweetener. If you're going over on sugar because of fruit and milk, don't worry too much. Sugars that occur naturally in foods are different than refined white sugar. They're healthier and you don't have to moderate them as much. I always go over my sugar because of fruit, but fruit is healthy. Sodium can be trickier but cut out as much processed food as you can and you shouldn't have too much trouble with it.
  • _gwen
    _gwen Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You'll need to make your diary public for specific feedback.

Go to http://www.myfitnesspal.com/account/diary_settings

The diary settings are at the bottom of the page.

Sounds like you might not be eating enough protein if you have calories left.

Limit processed foods, that is where you are getting the sodium. My diary is viewable, I'm usually under 1500mg sodium a day unless I eat something like tuna or go out to eat.
  • Jennifernellwebb
    Jennifernellwebb Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Salads and fruit are big goals in my daily intake and The fruits throw me way off the scales in the sugar dept. but I have read up on it and these are actually good carbs / sugars. I watch my carb intake and usually never go over those. Outside of my fruits, I might have a teaspoon of BROWN sugar in my oatmeal. Other than that, I get ONLY the sugars in my foods.... THAT IS IT. I seem to eat the ideal foods that others eat with success......oatmeal..........whole wheat.....fruits.... veggies....... brown rice.....turkey breast.........chicken breast........and fish. I drink water.......... and sugar free juices from time to time. Fat free milk. My sugars are high but my sodium is usually below the allowed. My sugars are from my "healthy" foods though and in order to eat in this manner, I have to accept the high sugar grams. Actually, I know nothing off the top of my head that you could eat that has NO sugar and NO sodium. I am just a beginner though so other MFP members may be able to help you out better. I just read a lot and pass on what I read........
  • inlander
    inlander Posts: 339 Member
    Options
    I have this sodium problem too. Until I have high blood pressure, I will continue to indulge in salt. I don't ADD SALT to things, I just happen to eat the saltiest protein in the entire world. (turkey. nomnomgobble.)