Coming in under calorie targets; should I eat more?

Options
Since going vegetarian, each day after putting in the max number of calories I've eaten + logged in the minimum exercise I've done (i.e. don't count walking to work/the grocery store) I'm typically under target by about 200-300cal. I'm never hungry and my meals are well balanced (I only took notice of this deficit when my friend was on my page and pointed out to me that I should be eating more, especially since mfp automatically cuts 500 from your diet each day so there's no need to cut more).
Like I said, never noticed the deficit since I'm never hungry - or when I see the deficit I just have no desire to eat more.

However, should I increase my eating still? Am I messing my body up through without realising, eating less than I should?

Replies

• stevenleagle
    stevenleagle Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Could not see your diary so I guess it will be hard for many people to give you a meaningful comment. However personally I would love to have the same problem as you! I find it really hard NOT go go over my calories lol. However I have to say there are days where (especially with exercise) I am 200-300 cals below goal. However there are also many days where I am 200-300 above goal so for me, personally, its about the average weekly goal (and result) as much as the daily goal. If you are a recent vegetarian, perhaps it will be worthwhile hearing from other vegetarians. I suspect getting adequate nutrition will be important and perhaps (if you have not already done so) it may be worthwhile seeking professional advice too.
  • Rowann
    Options
    I think the normal advice would be that so long as you're netting over 1200, you're not overly hungry, and you feel fine, then don't worry about it.

If you're not netting 1200 after exercise etc has been taken into account then consider adding in something like some almonds, or some peanut butter.
  • mbat763
    mbat763 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) Yeah I'm always over 1200 so I guess it can't be too bad if I net a bit under

I'll also take the other posters advice and see my doctor, too (will also be handy to find out how I'm doing as far as getting all my vitamins now I'm vegetarian).