Is it better to take your vitamins in the morning?

Options
Or at night? Also when you cook with oil. Say you fry an egg. Do you add the oil to your calories? Even if most of it stays in the skillet? How do you measure that?

Replies

• asyouseefit
    asyouseefit Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I add the oil to my calories because it's hard to say what sticked to the egg and what didn't. Better overestimate than underestimate! I don't know about vitamins because I don't take any, sorry!
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I try take mine in the morning (when I remember!), but not sure what time is best. Would be interested to know what others think...
  • Ash_76
    Ash_76 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    vitamins are usually slow release so best to take them in a mornin, and they will release through out the day, if you take late on in the day , what ever is left over will be discarded by your body when you sleep
  • RoanneRed
    RoanneRed Posts: 429 Member
    Options
    I believe some vitamins (eg. B, C) are good to take in the morning as they help energise/wake you up. Calcium can be better taken at night as it may contribute to sleep quality. Importantly, don't take calcium at the same time as iron as it blocks iron absorption.
  • ackeebee
    ackeebee Posts: 1,042 Member
    Options
    i always take my vitamins in the morning with breakfast. strangely if i forget to take it for whatever reason and remember later in the day, i usually skip that day. i have always believed its best to take them at the start of the day, though i might be wrong.

regarding adding oil to my calorie count, it all depends on the dish. if i am selecting something generic like "fried egg", i always assume the oil is already taken into consideration in the number of calories. if i have however selected something like "medium or large egg", then i will add the oil separately.
  • martinh78
    Options
    I was reading a training tip yesterday and they reckoned taking a slow release protein drink and multivits at night before bed.

Makes sense to me. Your body is getting staged vitamins etc through the day as you eat, at night your body has nothing. I'm leaning more and more to giving my metabolism a little bit to do whilst I sleep :o)
  • sk3adik
    Options
    when i fry an egg i use a non stick pan, and use 1 teaspoon of melted "i can't believe it's not butter," and yes, add them in your intake. i even add zero cals in my intake just for the heck of it.. but to each his own.. also, the doctor said as long as i take meds with food, i will be ok. the most effective time is mid morning after your breakfast and with your snack, because some vitamins and meds can severely damage your liver. it don't matter what meds, all of them will have side effect to your liver so take it with meal and when your stomach is already in action of burning something or when your gastric juice is already doing its work to absorb nutrients from food you ate.. eat right and drink lots of water. ask your doctor which ones you need to take with more meal than others so it won't kill your liver..
  • krstnmuir
    Options
    I don't know how true it is, but I've heard that it's best to take your vitamins/supplements in the afternoon, before dinner, because you're body will want what it is lacking. If you are lacking something you might crave more food. ???? I add the oil in my cals. :)
  • netchik
    netchik Posts: 587 Member
    Options
    Vitamins - it will be different depending on the type. All my "regenerative" type ones I take at night (like milk thistle) and energy (vitamin d etc) in the morning.

Oil - always add it. Worst case scenario then you've not messed up your calorie count.
  • livi_cowgirl
    livi_cowgirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I take my vitamins at night because I take Xenical and I kinda have to take them at night so they get into my system. But I would say morning or night would be just as fine.
    As for the oil, a good idea would be to measure how much you put in the pan and add at least half of that to your diary. It will most likely be an over estimation but as some say, better to be over than under. But you want to try to get as near to the actual amount as you can because oil is very high in calories. 1tbsp of olive oil is about 100 calories so be sparing with it. x
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Options
    I prefer to take my vitamins in the morning but was told by my doctor that the time of day does not matter.
  • melanie3103
    melanie3103 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Makes sense, I will try continue with the mornings. :-)
  • statia152
    Options
    when i fry an egg i use a non stick pan, and use 1 teaspoon of melted "i can't believe it's not butter," and yes, add them in your intake. i even add zero cals in my intake just for the heck of it.. but to each his own.. also, the doctor said as long as i take meds with food, i will be ok. the most effective time is mid morning after your breakfast and with your snack, because some vitamins and meds can severely damage your liver. it don't matter what meds, all of them will have side effect to your liver so take it with meal and when your stomach is already in action of burning something or when your gastric juice is already doing its work to absorb nutrients from food you ate.. eat right and drink lots of water. ask your doctor which ones you need to take with more meal than others so it won't kill your liver..

This! I would also like to add that when I don't take my multi, I tend to eat more. Kinda like my body is trying to get more vitamins / minerals through food, making it harder to stay within my total calories.
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    So, to summise, you should take your vitamins in the morning/mid morning/afternoon/before bed.

That's cleared that up then! :laugh:
  • RNewton4269
    RNewton4269 Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    I usually take mine in the morning or at least by lunch.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    I take vitamins at night because I take my thyroid meds in the morning and the calcium/iron in them can interfere with their absorption. I found this out the hard way this past summer. So, unless you have to take any medication, I *think* the time doesn't matter. You should ask your Dr, if you wanna be sure.

As for oil, I measure a tbsp and add it to the diary. As others have said, it's better to overestimate!
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I take them in the morning, although I have been thinking about that too, since I usually eat well enough to get most of the nutrients naturally in my food - then the vitamin becomes a bit redundant. But since I have a whole bottle left, I won't modify it until I'm done with that.

I try not to cook with oil if possible, but I add the calories if I used more than 40 or so for the dish (ie, 1/3 tbsp olive oil). I use non-stick spray usually for everything I can and don't log that.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    Importantly, don't take calcium at the same time as iron as it blocks iron absorption.

Thanks for sharing this! I just googled this and found that it's true. Therefore, the vitamins that I'm taking, which contain both calcium and iron, are crap...I guess I'll be switching brands!
  • laurad1406
    Options
    I take mine in the morning right after I've eaten breakfast...only because it's a habit now, and I have to eat them with food or they make me nauseous haha
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    take your vitamins with food, since some of the vitamins found in a multi are fat soluble and need fat to be absorbed by the body.

i take mine with meals 3x a day, but 1 serving of my multi is 6 pills, so 2 pills with food 3x