any good tips out their to keep on track?

hey all just wondering if anyone has any good tips on keeping up with their exercise, im very bad at sticking to things and kind of loose interest or something disrupts me after a couple wk but once iv got a routine going im pretty good but it takes me a while to get used to a routine but it's hard for me to stick with a routine as the boys can be very demanding at times and i dont have time to do my exercise then by the time iv seen to them and got the house in order im not in the mood
any help would be grand thanks
xsamx

Replies

• sorry kind of used the word routine a wee bit to much lol
  • Vivalebeaver
    Vivalebeaver Posts: 13 Member
    I've joined one of the groups on here, the one I've joined is the "1000 mins of exercise in Sept" one. I have a ticker tracking my progress and everything! So I think that motivates me.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    Don't think of it as something you need to be "in the mood" for. Think of it as something that needs to get done. I prefer to exercise in the morning, since it gets it out of the way. Then later on if I'm in the mood to go for a run or hit up a spin class at my gym, then I will, but that way I've already done something in case I don't feel like working out later.
  • I do a morning walk as soon as I get to work and then the hubby and I take the dog for a walk in the evening. If its crappy out I exercise while watching TV in the house.
  • With my travel and home schedule - I try to keep it simple... I do have days that I do certain things no matter what (like Friday and Sunday are my heavy swim days)... but other than that, I do what I have time for. I always carry a workout dvd with me when I travel in case the fitness center is full or I don't feel like a long workout. It's okay to have "workout ADD" and change it up often - some say that's the best way to go. Get your kids involved if you can. Make getting your exercise in the same as brushing your teeth - you just have to do it everyday, even if it's a five minute walk or a few quick push ups or sit ups. Every little something you do burns more calories that just sitting on the couch... and that's a successful day! Good luck!
  • sdreher204
    sdreher204 Posts: 2 Member
    Get a workout partner...then you will feel like you don't want to let them down
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    That was the longest sentence I have ever read. LOL! Sorry, couldn't resist. I hate to exercise but I know it needs to be done. You have to want to be fit and healthy more than you want to throw in the towel. It's all about pure will. Good luck!
  • It has become part of my daily routine that after my 4000+ step walk from work to home, I jump on my stationery back for 30mins every afternoon! It has become accepted in our house that this is what I do! Also, I have scheduled that 3x per week I get up early in the morning 6am instead of 6.30am and pop a game into the XBox and play for 30 mins, Your Fitness, Evolved, Dance Central, Adventure, Ultimate Cage Fighter - something that gets my heart rate up, gives me a sweat and gets me moving.

It has just become part of my life as opposed to a routine - it is as normal a brushing my teeth of combing my hair LOL
  • meggonkgonk
    meggonkgonk Posts: 2,066 Member
    My biggest tip for sticking with exercise is finding some form of activity you enjoy- I've recently gotten into running and my workouts are all based around race training- I do strength training, cross training and a bunch of different running workouts, all in the name of improving my performance- so working out becomes less of a chore and more something I look forward to. Over the summer I played corporate softball which was particularly intense but I was able to scale my running back and turn my workouts to improving my performance in softball (arm strength, shorter faster runs, batting cages).

Anyway- that's my best suggestion- try to do something that interests you, not something that is just a workout.
  • MsFitnFabulous
    MsFitnFabulous Posts: 432 Member
    I break mine up into segments .. I take a 15 min walk on my first break at work. Then another 15-30 min walk on my lunch break. And strength train and/or ABS after work.
  • ooOOooGravy
    ooOOooGravy Posts: 476 Member
    Don't think of it as something you need to be "in the mood" for. Think of it as something that needs to get done.

I agree with this, however i do it at night and make it part of my daily routine, in the same way as having a shower, or making and having tea, i make space for it by planning before, and dont plan anything else for my exercise time.
  • broadsword7
    broadsword7 Posts: 411 Member
    My tip is is this: Find the one bit of exercise you can do that is quick, repeatable, do-able anywhere, and not too difficult, and let it serve as a reminder how you need to be attentive to this thing as an entire lifestyle change, not just something temporary or a quick loss diet.

For me, it is the pushup. When I started I found that I could barely do a few pushups--around five. Even the on-your-knees kind! That was six months ago. I now do them (the right way) several times during a day, ten at a time. Just before I shower, I drop and give myself ten. Throughout the day, I look for an opportunity at work to duck into an empty office or conference room, lock the door, and do a quick ten. For me, it works as a psychological reminder that I need to keep at this, be vigilant, be aware that it's my life and health and happiness that need to be the focus of ALL my activity.

For you it may be something else, but I encourage you to find it, and then stick with it all the time. Let the one little thing serve as a foundation. I believe doing something like that leads you to do other great things that are beneficial. I hope that helps you, and happiness and good health to you no matter what!
  • Don't think of it as something you need to be "in the mood" for. Think of it as something that needs to get done.

I agree with this, however i do it at night and make it part of my daily routine, in the same way as having a shower, or making and having tea, i make space for it by planning before, and dont plan anything else for my exercise time.

This.

You will exercise every day when you decide it is something that MUST be done, when you stop making excuses for not doing it. I am a SAHM, we are a one-car family. On the days I have a vehicle I use our gym membership (where there is free childcare while I exercise), but on days like today when I don't have transportation I WILL work out at home. Either I get up before everyone else and go for a run in the early morning, or I do aerobics in my living room. YES - little kids get in the way! As much as I try to occupy my child before I start exercising, he interrupts me at least 2 times, every single time. I simply take care of his needs, and get back to the workout as quickly as possible. No excuses to stop or quit or give up, JUST GET IT DONE! And it doesn't matter if I'm not in the mood - just remember, you will never REGRET a work out, but you WILL regret not doing it!

ETA: Check out www.bodyrock.tv - they have a bunch of short but very intense exercise sequences that might help.
  • If time is the issue, then do the higher intensity exercises.

Jump roping, you can easily burn 11 calories per minute (calories go up fast for higher intensity). It's mobile can do it anywhere, and its cheap.
  • i love doing my exercises but for instance ill get up with the baby feed him then toddler wakes up so see to him get them both dressed and fed and then usually open a can of relentless go on the laptop for 10 mins then usually do my exercises but recently the boys have bin so demanding so iv not bin able to do it so most of the day ill be saying to myself " right ill do that then ill do my exercises" then 1 of the boys need me and before i know it, it's time for bed.
    thanks for everyone tips