Gastric band v gastric bypass - your thoughts

Options

Replies

• mrsdollox
    Options
    [/quote]
    If you're in the UK, I would suggest a possible visit to the Academy for Wellbeing - http://www.academy4wellbeing.com
    [/quote]

thank you. i will look at that :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    Band or Rouy en x depends on you really. i had gastric bypass, and i gained weight back. i did not have the educations and the tools i needed to be successful. so i am now doing it on my own. im sure having a smaller stomach currently helps, but i can eat more than 6 years ago when i had it done. just remember you still have to work on losing the weight and maintaining your loss! it is not a quick fix, and it takes the patience and watching waht you eat. one thing i learned the hard way just because you eat less of the cheeseburger it is still a cheese burger. it took me gaining weight back to realize yes portion control is part of it, but it is also what you are putting in your mouth that counts too.
  • rbloedow
    rbloedow Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK, I would suggest a possible visit to the Academy for Wellbeing - http://www.academy4wellbeing.com
    [/quote]

[/quote]

I hope I didn't come across as callous, I like to think of it as tough love. I believe in being honest, sometimes it's percieved as abrasive.

I met the guy who started the program, and he's fantastic - Bob Bowers is his name. He himself is someone who was greatly overweight, and he has successfully kept the weight off over the years. One of the points I took away from him was that too often we neglect the psycholoigical side of weight loss and gain.
  • bevskiwolf
    bevskiwolf Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I have the Realize Band and I love it. It saved my life. I lost 100 pounds twice in my life and obviously gained it back. And more.

I considered by-pass but for me was too drastic a change. I got my fills (saline) in under 6 months and had great restriction. I haven't had to fuss with saline or fills ever again! I love that I can only eat about a cup of food at a time. I eat often (6 times a day) and small meals at that.

I never intent to remove it. This baby is with me for life.

Good luck!

xoxo
    Bevy
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I am curious how you were back to work in a week after gastric bypass surgery? I was off for 12 weeks. I was in the hospital for 4 days alone. and i had it done less invasive. just wondering. a week sounds way to early to be back to work after a major surgery any major surgery actually
  • mrsdollox
    Options

[/quote]

I hope I didn't come across as callous, I like to think of it as tough love. I believe in being honest, sometimes it's percieved as abrasive.

I met the guy who started the program, and he's fantastic - Bob Bowers is his name. He himself is someone who was greatly overweight, and he has successfully kept the weight off over the years. One of the points I took away from him was that too often we neglect the psycholoigical side of weight loss and gain.
    [/quote]

no not at all :)
  • pammyedmunds
    pammyedmunds Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I personally say..thats expensive. If you are going to spend that much money to do cosmetic surgery...consider getting a Personal Trainer & gym membership. Its cheaper and you will see better results (muscle tone & weight loss together) at a normal rate. You are also not that heavy. I started loosing weight at 260lbs - I am also 5'10. As of last week I reached the 40lbs mark. I work out twice a day doing cardio & weight training. I eat right and I don't go overboard.

Ultimately you need to decide whats best for you and your family. If you can afford the financial woes for this surgery....then you need to decide.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    Either way you HAVE to change your eating habits and your exercise level. Sorry. It took me 20 years and a top wieght of 267 to turn things around using better nutrition and portion control, but I am seeing progress and feel better. My sister had the bypass and did great most of the time. She lost just over 100 pounds but has put some back on. She knows what she has to do but kind of relies on the bypass to lose. A niece has had the lap band. She is still VERY overweight as she has not committed to the changes in diet. She has also developed diabetes since the surgery. It is still all about you and your behavior. Good luck.
  • lolainlondon
    lolainlondon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    As someone who started off heavier than you (237) and not a lot taller (5'4") I'd never considered it and have lost just under 50lbs by moving more, and making better choices. A lot of my calories were also liquid calories (wine, cola, gin & tonic, cider, fruit juice). I noticed in your original post you mention vodka. Since cutting down on them (and cutting out cola completely) and choosing diet mixers instead, I've saved loads of calories.

If like me you drink a reasonable proportion of your calories you should know that a gastric band won't help with those - the only thing that will help is will power and a desire to change. And as for being addicted to certain foods, I told myself that one loads of times. It was only when I started actually choosing foods that weren't my problem foods (cheese, crisps etc) that I found myself wanting to add more of those healthy things to my plate. The problem, as with so many, is usually more in your head than in your stomach. At your weight I'd say that the risks outweigh the potential benefits, but if you are going ahead with it, prepare to possibly be disappointed as even with a band it's as much about attitude and determination as it is about the restriction of the stomach.
  • jessicajw86
    jessicajw86 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    This is my first post, but as my Mum had a gastric band fitted 11 months ago its one that I am quite interested in. She always struggled with her weight and for years and as a result decided to have a band fitted. In 11 months she has lost 4 stone. Nearly half the weight they hoped for her to lose altogether!! She had no complications and was back in work after 2 weeks (given, she works at a desk and nothing strenuous). But aside from the weight loss she has completely overhauled her life! She looks and feels amazing, her confidence is at a high I have never seen before. And its so lovely to see how happy she is. However, I don't think bands (or bypasses) are an easy option at all. It took her a while to settle into in. She had to eat pureed foods for two weeks and she sometimes suffers with increased heartburn and sickness as a result. But for her, it has been the best thing she has ever done. She has also started exercising (has a personal trainer 3 times a week) because even with a band in order to lose you still have to exercise.

So I guess it depends on you and you're feelings about it. There are massive risks yes. And I think you will need to have a personal consultation to decide which option to go for. A friend of hers went for a consultation and it was recommended she had a bypass as she was a 'grazer'. She chose not to and got a band instead and two years down the line she has hardly lost anything. She 'out-eats' the band by sucking on chocolate etc. Now she regrets not getting a bypass originally.
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    My opinion/thought is that there are plenty of other "tools" out there to help weight loss.
    I started at 230 lbs and was NOT even a candidate for the surgery. So, I started this journey the old fashioned way...diet and exercise! But it takes much more than that. If you are not dedicated enough to diet and exercise then the gastric won't be as effective of a tool either. It takes determination and hard work. It can be done. I've lost 70 lbs over the last 2 years, albeit slowly, but slow weight loss has proven to be easier to keep off. I have 15-25 to go but I will get there one day.

Good luck.
  • ckspores
    Options
    If you can't keep it together for more than a few days at a time, I question your commitment to use either as a good tool.
  • Kelly50054
    Options
    I feel the risks for either one are high and dangerous.
  • Papillon22
    Papillon22 Posts: 1,160 Member
    Options
    You know, from what you've written, it seems like the surgery would work on a symptom, but not necessarily the reason behind your weight gain. I think it'd be like putting a bandaid on a broken arm: it might stop some bleeding, but the broken bone will still be there.

Regarding counseling, I've also had a lot, but the fact that it didn't work wasn't because i'm unfixable. It was because *I* wasn't ready to face and deal with my own issues.

I wish you the best of luck with whatever decision you make!
  • lakersfan4life
    lakersfan4life Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    people keep saying they are getting these sugeries for thier "health", but it seems to me you're actually gambling with your health.

I've been to Vegas plenty of times and one thing i do know is that the house typically wins.......

so be honest, is this really something you are doing to be healthier overall, (considering all the possible negative complications) or for vanity?
  • Jess5825
    Options
    I got the band in December and in a way I kind of wish I didn't. I have had NO complications, or any problems. But I am not really using it. I only have a tiny bit of fill in it. But I'm losing weight and I don't care to get anymore. My doc wanted to give me one at my last visit, since I had only lot 4 lb in 6 weeks. But I declined. I had figured out why I had plateaued. I was only eating 1200 calories per day and not eating exercise calories, so I was only netting like 300 or 400 calories per day. Once I bumped my calories up, I started losing again.

I feel the only thing the band did is give me the kick in the *kitten* I needed to do this right. Now I am definitely not saying this will work for everyone and the band is a great tool, if you use it correctly. I see to many people on LBT forum who make their band way to tight and then complain they are stuck and PBing all the time. I've never done either.
  • kaffmc
    Options
    Why is everyone so bloody negative, as i said yes we all have our own opinions and yes its nice to see them but some people are downright rude and offensive. Everyone on here wants to lose weight for one reason or another, it is not cosmetic and as i said before we are learning about eating habits before the surgery to be able to deal with it after. I have tried loads of diets, from weight watchers, slimming world, jenny craig and even the atkins diet and many many more. Most of them i lost weight with them but put it all back on plus more. I suffer from Arthritis and i`m in extreme pain on a daily basis so i want this surgery to take the weight off my joints, it will not cure it but it will most certainly help. She is not selfish or lazy.
  • tawny7
    tawny7 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I scanned through the replies to see what others would write. I had the bypass 12/09 and have lost 165 pounds since then. I was over 300 when I started the program and was 296 the day of surgery.

My recovery was okay...this was my first experience having surgery or even being admitted to the hospital.

I chose bypass because of the amount of weight I needed to lose and I was worried about the problems others wrote about with the band. Before you have either surgery be sure you are ready to change your eating habits forever.

I CAN have snacks with sugar in them, I have to be careful to only have a little taste...and that satisfies me!
    I CAN drink alcohol, not like I use to but again it's about lifestyle changes. And one drink gets me feeling good! I do not drink very often; the last time I did was Nov 2010 when I was in New Orleans.

I just want you to realize while you have to change your relationship with food and your eating habits you CAN eat regular food like everyone else!! You just have to make smart choices and you can't eat as much as others.

Whichever option you pick: bypass, band, or neither you have to make the choice you feel is right for you.

Good luck with your journey!!! :flowerforyou:
  • kaffmc
    Options
    Any surgery has complications, even having a tooth out can cause a bloody clot, does that mean we shouldn't visit the dentist either
  • DEEDLYNN
    DEEDLYNN Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I had the band....cost me $17,000 and it failed me. My body rejected it. The thing that I learned in the 4 mos that I had the band....you STILL have to do the work. You still have to diet and exercise. Only thing is...if you overeat, there are consequences. I for one...wish I had my $17,000 back. I went on to lose 125 lbs after they took the band out...on my own. (That being said, I lost focus and gained most of it back...but that happens to WLS patients too).

WLS is not an easy way out. The bottom line is....you still have to work the calories in/calories out.

Just my 2 cents. I wish someone had told me.