Anyone one had adverse reactions to Stevia?

Options
I started using it a little over a week ago,My stomach has been a mess ever since including cramping and diarrhea.
Wondering if this is common or just my strange system?..I have celiac's disease and often get weird reactions to new foods.

Replies

• kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I started using it a little over a week ago,My stomach has been a mess ever since including cramping and diarrhea.
    Wondering if this is common or just my strange system?..I have celiac's disease and often get weird reactions to new foods.

yes! I started using it a few years ago and after a week or so I started getting a really itchy reaction in my mouth. I couldn't figure out what it was until I ran out and started using sugar in my coffee again and it went away. I am allergic to a lot of foods though so it is typical for me to be allergic to something plant based.
  • momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I was reading it is in the sunflower family.. I can't use sunflower oil at all.. it causes votiming, diarrhea, cramping . I have not had sunflower seeds in along time..been kind of afraid to try them.made me wonder if that were the reason I am having trouble with Stevia also.
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    Nope. I love it. But I don't use very much. Maybe 1/2 tsp. for two cups of tea. Some people have a sensitivity to plants from that family. Sorry to hear it!
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    I've had a container of Stevia in my purse at all times for the past six years (it's the ONLY sweetener I ever use) and I've never had any sort of side effect from it.
  • pstaub70
    Options
    I get an upset stomach as well. Especially with Truvia - A mixture of erythritol and stevia.

I didn't get any reaction with organic erythritol alone so I'm thinking it was the stevia but this of course is only speculation...
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Did you react to pure stevia (ground leaves) or to one of the brand names that are chemicaly processed stevia extractions (Truvia, Stevia In The Raw, PureVia, etc) that contain other chemicals? I got digestive issues with the name brand extractions but not from the pure ground leaves.