I'm an exercise-a-phobic!!

Options
What is my problem?? Whenever I get my rear in gear and put on my workout clothes or get on a bike or take a walk I ALWAYS feel great afterwards. All of the benefits of exercising apply to me when I do it. I sleep well, I think clearly I am a nicer person to be around. All of this is true, yet I will do almost ANYTHING to avoid working out, excercising and working up a sweat. Am I just lazy? Do I just need a structured program? Not sure. I have tried a dozen trillion different approaches (gym memberships, swimming, riding, personal trainers, taking walks alone, walking with a group of friends...etc.) Is it motivation? Not sure either, but you'd think that I would have some (if not a ton) of motivation.
Any thoughts, pearls of wisdoms or insights.
Thanks everyone out there in Fitnesspal world..
:grumble:

Replies

• snuffmomma77
    snuffmomma77 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Hi, when reading your post I was like omg thats me.... I have gotten better, I have been working out at least 3 days a week, and feel great, but then like you said I put off going to the gym, and make excuses why not too. I think the more I get into a routine and the more I am exercising it will become a habit, and I will want to do it, try to set a goal of so many days a week and see if you can stick with that then add another or how ever many you want till maybe you can become addicted!! Im here if you need encouraging, add me as a friend if you want.. Dont give up as long as you are exercising here and there you are still doing it and havent quit yet...
  • JenOman
    JenOman Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Just stick with it! Eventually you begin to like it. For me, I was gung-ho for about a week and then it became hard, but you just have to push through and do it and eventually it become habit. I also mix it up and going to classes (where I make friends so they expect me to be there) and I run with my dog. Which a dog is the BEST work-out partner, because there is never a day that she doesn't want to run or walk.

Good luck and you can totally do it!!
  • wickedcricket
    wickedcricket Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    ditto! I've always been like that, even used to forge notes to get out of gym class. I've been FORCING myself to do 30 day shred first thing in the morning. IF I don't get up & exercise first thing, I find some reason to avoid it =\
  • melissabee31
    Options
    I've read that even personal trainers or fitness guru's have to force themselves to exercise. I think naturally, our bodies know we have to put in a lot of effort to exercise, and our brain tries to shy us away from exercising because mentally, we know it's hard! I have to force myself to work out, but like you said, I always feel so amazing after I work out.

Here's a trick. When you're getting dressed in workout clothes or heading to the gym or whatever, tell yourself you love exercising. Start saying little mantras in your head or outloud (even in front of a mirror). Things like, "I love exercising, I love working hard for my body, I love getting sweaty," can help mentally prepare you for working out. Obviously, even if you really dislike sweating and exercising, using positive reinforcement can actually trick your brain into liking it more. The same goes for eating healthy. "I love carrots, I love salad, etc."

It sounds kind of dumb, try if you try it every day for a week, I bet you anything your outlook on working out will change, at least a little.
  • espinozAgal
    espinozAgal Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I swear I wrote that post... oh wait.. you are not me! lol I'm am the same. I feel like I'm alergic to exercise!! I feel great afterwards too, and it works great for me, shaping my body and fat loss... but I just don't wanna!!!
    I guess maybe we just need to stop the complaining and do it... right?? easier said than done, but we CAN do it! start small. I tried lesli sansone walk away the pounds easy 1 mile walk. it's 20 minutes, very easy on the body but you still feel great afterwards. From there I moved onto walk away the pounds walk strong and the first few times it kicked my butt... but I made it through and made me feel on top of the world!! Good luck my friend.
  • defygravity531
    defygravity531 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Turbo Jam. :) Do it every day or every day you can. Put your work out clothes right out in your way so you have to trip over them no matter what. Then PUT THEM ON and pop in the AMAZING Chalene Johnson. Party with Turbo Jam (the dvd has 20 minute-45 minute workouts) and you will have SO MUCH FUN.

Exercise has to be fun for you to want to do it AND you have to start small so you won't get burnt out and end up hating it. Even if all you do is commit to walk 20 minutes every other day, you'll still be doing more than you're doing now and that's what matters. :)

Good luck!
  • soifua
    Options
    that was me, for a long time. you have to do one of two things ... either 1. find an exercise that you enjoy (I love zumba) or 2. just suck it up and do it (I've done this one many many many times). After a while the workouts just become part of your routine. Never in my life would I have thought I'd be one of those people that stay at the gym all the time, but I am, if I could I'd go to 3 or 4 classes a day.
  • porffor
    porffor Posts: 1,212 Member
    Options
    Get dressed in the morning.. into your workout clothes and you can't wear regular clothes till you've done something!
    Or if you have to work first, then change as soon as you get home.. again you cant' change into something regular till you have exercised. I do this with my riding gear (horse) I won't go out in jodphurs to regular places unless I have no choice, so I get into them and get my riding done early.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    Hey, I could have written that!!

I think part of me remembers the little girl who was always last in the field day running races. I was not the best at anything in gym class way back when. It is hard, however, to replace that with the memory of being able to outrun some of my peers on the soccer field when I was older (I can still use some help with soccer.)

I prefer to play games than to have a workout routine. If I can find a buddy to which I am accountable, I suppose it would work better. A lot of my friends are couch potatoes, or they work out at the gym. (I find that agonizing, because I prefer the outdoors.) It is my DREAM to find some people my age who will do outdoorsy things, or just active things aside from things like shopping (which I hate) and eating out.

So, yeah, I hear ya!

PS There are other ways to be active, but exercise seems to help relieve stress/anxiety/depression/anger the best.
  • fitplease
    fitplease Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    even used to forge notes to get out of gym class.

My high school gym class just sat on the sidelines until the teacher gave up on us. I felt so bad for her. I also was annoyed at my classmates when I wanted to play a sport and they wouldn't! Granted, when I didn' t want to play, the class was on my side.