minimalist running

Options
I recently started to become interested in minimalist running. So I did some research in what shoes I should get and went to the running store and found what I thought was my perfect pair. They felt amazing. My first run in them was my fastest time to date. I felt like I was flying. I was in love. I bought Saucony ProGrid Mirage. I went from a pretty structured shoe since the progrid mirage was suppose to be the first steps into minimalism I thought it was a good choice and they felt great. I had the new balance 760 before these.
So now after a couple weeks of running with them (I gradually went from my old pair to the new pair) I am having arch pain in my one foot. Just my arch, no heel pain at all and just in my one foot. It feels a lot better with heat than with ice. It doesn't really hurt when I am running, more like afterward and it feels okay in the morning. It doesn't seem to get worse just every once in awhile I feel it getting sore. My question is will this soreness workout as my foot gets stronger like new muscles in my foot are working from going to minimalist shoe or maybe I am not meant to go into minimalism running?
What do you think?
Thanks!

Replies

• Grimmerick
    Grimmerick Posts: 3,344 Member
    Options
    what is minimalist running? I have never heard of it
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    I have minimalist shoes... and have never experienced heel pain. You could have also developed a stress fracture in your foot... or developed plantar fasciitis.

Heel pain is usually associated with plantar fasciitis which is when the little muscle fibers that connect on the bottom of your foot tear. People experience it when they step on the foot and it changes position. Lots of people feel it the worse when getting out of bed in the morning or after exercise.

Minimalist shoes are not for everyone... You may actually need that support. Perhaps go to a foot doc and get it checked out.

I based my info above on the fact that I worked for a podiatrist as a medical assistant for 5 years.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options

It is like barefoot running except your wear shoes... Ever heard of Vibram 5 fingers? The shoes that fit between your toes... It is based on the principal that you don't need all of the extra bulk of a running shoe and that your body will adjust to running without and will "feel" the ground better. I love it.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19196
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I have no heel pain. I don't think it is stress fracture. I don't have any swelling and it isn't tender. It doesn't hurt when I run just sometimes afterward.
  • iAMaPhoenix
    iAMaPhoenix Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options

It is like barefoot running except your wear shoes... Ever heard of Vibram 5 fingers? The shoes that fit between your toes... It is based on the principal that you don't need all of the extra bulk of a running shoe and that your body will adjust to running without and will "feel" the ground better. I love it.

http://runningtimes.com/Article.aspx?ArticleID=19196
    Soooooo....it is fun to run barefoot. If someone is making money off this, I hope they are sending royalties to the Neanderthals...SMH
  • artsyathlete
    Options
    Your arch pain probably due to having flexible arches (your arch collaoses/flexes a lot with each step). The muscles in your foot are most likely still not used to flexing/having to support without the help of a supportive shoe. You said you transitioned gradually, how many miles? Its best to do 2 miles per session at most for the first 16-20 miles that you run in the minimmalist shoes and to stick to softer surfaces such as trails and grass for a while. Some doctors even say don't use them if you are over 120lbs. Personnaly I think that the theory sounds good but I only use them for speed work (short intense efforts) because I know several people who tried them and ended up with stress fractures or achilles pain. Good luck!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    Not sure how far you are running or how often. But I'd suggest the book Barefoot Running as a good source on how to start running this way You need to go SLOW...not speed, but I think the ration is 1 mile for every 3 you would have run in your previous shoes and start with low miles.

I run in a Terra Plana for anything less than 7 miles, over 7 miles, I use a Nike Free. I find that my calves are consistently tender if running longer miles, and I've been running minimal for about 18 months.
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I am training for a 1/2 marathon. Maybe doing too much running in them too soon? I think I will take a break until my foot feels better and run a little slower. Maybe stick with my other shoe if I can find a new pair in the same model as before then start again after my race.

Thanks!