5k runners question

Options
2»

Replies

• willdbill0712
    willdbill0712 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Most training programmes for 5Ks recommend nothing at all. However, there's a little trick Marathoners often use. Bearing in mind Marathon racers will have had a taper of two weeks, they can get a bit antsy and feel their legs just won't do the job, so they are recommended a 20-30 minute jog the day before.

If you just can't leave it alone, do a test run. Put on all the kit you'll wear for the race, walk to the end of the road, jog for no more than 10 minutes and walk back.

Many a pre-race sleepless night has been eliminated by reassuring yourself your legs do still work and all the kit you need in the morning is in one place and ready!

My pre-race sleepless nights are due to not wanting to oversleep/miss my alarm. Maybe I have watched Seinfield a few 2 many times, lol
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Really depends on you.

If your legs are happy and you've been running a long time... I wouldn't bother. 5K is not an extreme distance that should make you worry about tapering.

If you are a new runner, and you feel like your legs are a little beat up... taking the day before off likely won't hurt and may help get you that personal best.

That being said, I ran 7-8 Km on Sunday and then competed in a Half Marathon on Monday.

Like I said, it really depends on you.

Well said. I used to take rest days in my younger days, but as I built up my mileage/experience, I actually found it was better to do a low-volume interval workout the day before a race, with intervals run at around race pace or just under.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Heya, it's me, Mr. Cheerful again!

:-)

I was over on runnersworld.com and I found this link. Might prove to be interesting for folks here:

http://tinyurl.com/4xn42uc

That's a tiny url to downloadable training plans — there's one for 5k.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider a 5K a big run. Honestly, my everyday workouts are longer and farther and more rigorous.

If you're very new to exercise, it probably is best to do some light cardio the day before if anything, but if you're at the stage where you can run a 5K, I would just do the usual.

A friend of mine swears doing some weight training on her legs the day before helps, though. Maybe try that.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I have room to raise my ambitions :) A 5K is not that long jogging alone, but I'm jogging pushing a stroller this time, which will be a new challenge. I plan to stay at this as he grows (and gains weight) so maybe aiming for a 7k pushing him can be our next goal :smile: I look forward to the day we can do runs together, I'm sure he'll pass me up before his age hits double digits :happy:
  • arc918
    arc918 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    I don't really consider a 5K a big run. Honestly, my everyday workouts are longer and farther and more rigorous.

If you're very new to exercise, it probably is best to do some light cardio the day before if anything, but if you're at the stage where you can run a 5K, I would just do the usual.

A friend of mine swears doing some weight training on her legs the day before helps, though. Maybe try that.

sounds like you need to start running your 5Ks harder!

just because the distance is short, doesn't mean they are easy to race

I run a lots of miles (50-60+ per week) and I find them more difficult to race than a half marathon (as there is NO margin for error)
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Hmm 5K is not a big run, I don't think. I usually do more than 5K as my AM, fasted cardio. It burns about 350-425 calories for me, which is really not a whole lot, so I doubt any extra eating or training is really necessary.

Although I guess if you have a specific time to beat, then you'll be running faster than I generally do :)

I think you're safe with whatever you decide to do, although I wouldn't do heavy weights just in case you are too sore the next day.

Good luck and have fun!
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    If I am shooting for a personal best (which is usually every time I race), I will take the day before the race off in order to have fresh muscles. If it's just for fun, 5K isn't too far so you should be fine to do some form of exercise the day before if you really want to. Everyone is different so it really comes down to listening to your body.
  • sweetsarahj
    sweetsarahj Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    Sounds like I have room to raise my ambitions :) A 5K is not that long jogging alone, but I'm jogging pushing a stroller this time, which will be a new challenge. I plan to stay at this as he grows (and gains weight) so maybe aiming for a 7k pushing him can be our next goal :smile: I look forward to the day we can do runs together, I'm sure he'll pass me up before his age hits double digits :happy:

oh a stroller will def make it a challenge!
  • heidi599
    Options
    I run 6 days a week, some say its too much but its summer and I don't want to do cardio indoors! I know the experts say rest and hydrate before a race but it's only a 5k and if you feel like running DO IT! just watch your feet so you don't hurt yourself.
  • heidi599
    Options
    I run with a jogger and a 20 lb baby too!! Much harder!! and you burn more calories too :)
  • 27strange
    27strange Posts: 837 Member
    Options
    A good stretching session and a walk would be good. Don't exert a ton of energy or work up a big sweat. Best of luck on the 5k!
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    It is recommended to rest the day before a race but I think that all depends on what a normal run is for you. I run a minimum of 4 miles 6 days a week so a 5k is an easy run and I don't do anything special. I'm not out to be the winner, I do 5k's for the spirit of the event and to keep goals in check. Now if I was doing 10k or better I would most likely rest or just do some yoga the day before.

whatever you decide good luck at the 5k and most importantly HAVE FUN :flowerforyou:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

sounds like you need to start running your 5Ks harder!

just because the distance is short, doesn't mean they are easy to race

I run a lots of miles (50-60+ per week) and I find them more difficult to race than a half marathon (as there is NO margin for error)

Or perhaps I'm not you and my body responds differently than yours? Just a thought.
  • hazelbliss6
    hazelbliss6 Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the helpful advise! :flowerforyou: