Is it important to actually weigh yourself?

Options
I know how much I weigh, give or take a few pounds but I don't want to be disappointed by the number on the scale. I'm not out of shape and I have muscle. Is it okay to just go by how you feel and maybe if you're dropping a clothes size? Although I want to lose some weight, I have a fitness goal in mind over the weight loss, which I feel will come naturally from my training.

Any thoughts/advice?

Replies

• jwaitman
    jwaitman Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    People get so wrapped up in a # on the scale. I know I do. I say do what works for you and makes you happy. If your clothes are feeling better and you can see a difference then you are meeting your goals. For me I know when I reach that # on the scale of my ideal weight my clothes should fit again and they I will be happy.

Then I just have to not gain it back...again!

Good luck!
  • jwaitman
    Options
    People get so wrapped up in a # on the scale. I know I do. I say do what works for you and makes you happy. If your clothes are feeling better and you can see a difference then you are meeting your goals. For me I know when I reach that # on the scale of my ideal weight my clothes should fit again and they I will be happy.

Then I just have to not gain it back...again!

Good luck!
  • jwaitman
    Options
    Sorry for the multiple posts. Gremlins I guess!:happy:
  • megz4987
    megz4987 Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    Not really. As long as you're healthy, you're happy and you're where you want to be... good for you and screw the scale!
  • alyssamiller77
    alyssamiller77 Posts: 891 Member
    Options
    The scale is one tool of many that we have to measure our progress. It can provide important clues on how much fat you're losing, how much muscle you're gaining or losing even how much you sweat during a workout. That said, it is only one tool. We have many at our disposal. Body Measurments, our image in the mirror, clothes, and even our ability to complete fitness goals. All should be considered together to provide a comprehensive picture of our health. No one item by itself can provide an accurate picture so I wouldn't say the scale is any more or less important than those other items.
  • Aegelis
    Aegelis Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I agree with intechpc. Additionally, compulsive weighing daily and worry seem to do more harm than good. I weigh in once a week at the same day & time to try to get an accurate measurement, but sometimes it does seem to take a few weeks for the body to 'kick-in' on a new diet.