need advice college student

so i began my goal of losing weight in june, and this summer i lost 22 pounds (now im 196), and since being back at school with work clubs classes hw and other priorities my exercising routine is gone. and when i try to go to the gym its packed and i have to wait for all the machines. anyone have recommendations on what to do?

Replies

• curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Hey when I was in college I ran the track.

You can walk or Jog a mile a day (4 big laps) and be fine.

Or 2 miles every other day.

Track what you eat on this website and it will help you see what is really bad for you.

Good luck and you can add me as a friend if you like.
  • curryinahurry
    curryinahurry Posts: 83 Member
    Hey when I was in college I ran the track.

You can walk or Jog a mile a day (4 big laps) and be fine.

Or 2 miles every other day.

Track what you eat on this website and it will help you see what is really bad for you.

Good luck and you can add me as a friend if you like.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Walk to classes? Walk home?

I'm a college student too and started losing weight in June. No idea how I'll fit in exercise either.
  • dragonbug300
    dragonbug300 Posts: 760 Member
    Become an early riser. That's the best time to steal whatever equipment you want. If I have 8am classes and know I won't have time for the gym in the afternoon, I get my *kitten* out of bed at 5:30am, get to the gym by 6:00, warm up 15 minutes, cardio 30 minutes, weights 30 minutes, and I'm out by 7:15am. Then I have 45 minutes to get dressed, grab food, and head to class.

That's just an example. Experiment with different times to see when the gym is least crowded. I find early morning and late night are optimal.
  • lynn1982
    lynn1982 Posts: 1,439 Member
    My only advice is to make exercise (and yourself!) a priority. Try to wake up a bit earlier to go to the gym or get some workout DVDs that you can do at home.
  • azlady7
    azlady7 Posts: 471 Member
    walking and jogging are probably your best bets like the other posters said. Maybe sign up for aerobics at the gym? Or dance classes work too and are sooooo much fun :)
  • Studies and new trends show that routine exercises are not as benefitial as people think. Its good to mix up your exercise schedule. Try to get in the hapit of doing something when you have free time around your school schedule. if your have a exercise track near by that has work out stations take advantage of it. you'll get a more rounded work out and better results than going to the gym and doing the same routine every week. Mix it up. get involved in school activities like ultimate frisbee, or volleyball. If you have access to a pool on campus, try to go swimming once or twice a week. That will really give you a workout. The more you mix it up the better your results.
  • i would say the same thing.
    tracking your food daily and jogging 3 to 4 times a week and i guess u shuld be ok ;-)
  • Crystella581
    Crystella581 Posts: 1 Member
    I understand your situation! When you are so busy and it is hard to take full advantage of the free time that you DO have it can be frustrating! I would try to be flexible with what you do while at the gym. I know we like to get into our routines but maybe you can find some alternative activities to do that you like. Also, try walking when you are taking a study break. My boyfriend calls me every evening and sometimes I'll throw on my shoes and take a walk while we talk since I am not able to do anything else productive while we chat. Also maybe try sacrificing an evening to go to the gym late. I took a class once on a Friday night. Since most of my friends were already halfway into their evening activities by the time I was done I went to the gym without fail every week for the whole semester. I was able to get my best workout of the week in on those Friday nights because the gym was so empty. Plus it was consistent. Good luck! I hope you are able to find ways to work fitness into your busy schedule!
  • silkysly
    silkysly Posts: 701 Member
    Life is about thinking outside of the box at times. It’s only as hard as you make it…
  • ok thanks for all the advice, the issue was, i lost weight because i ran about 7miles a day. i watched my diet also, but not to an extreme because i cant afford all the healthy foods and when my roommates cook i eat. i tried the early morning thing today morning but i go to a school with 45000 students so getting from the gym back to my place is about a 10min run or 20min walk.

i understand that i will lose weight slowly if i run couple times a week and watch what i eat. but whats been motivating is all the exercise and seeing weight loss weekly or biweekly.

thanks again for all the advice
  • Life is about thinking outside of the box at times. It’s only as hard as you make it…

can u justify that quote? i enjoy exercising. but with taking 6 classes at a junior level, working 25 hours a week, having club meetings almost every other day, church related things, and other things. i dont understand ur statement.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Life is about thinking outside of the box at times. It’s only as hard as you make it…

can u justify that quote? i enjoy exercising. but with taking 6 classes at a junior level, working 25 hours a week, having club meetings almost every other day, church related things, and other things. i dont understand ur statement.

I think what the poster means is that there is always a little time somewhere where you bum around, and maybe take advantage of that time. If you have an hour break in between classes, walk around campus to burn off a few calories. bring your gym clothes to school so you don't have to go home to change. If you have TVs at your gym, enjoy your favorite TV show while you work out. Take advantage of what time you do have. And maybe think about cutting back on work or activities a little bit. Health is SOOOO important, and that shouldn't be placed on the backburner because you are busy!! If you aren't healthy, you can't perform any of those activities right.
    Write out your schedule and notice gaps of time where you could do cardio, do some pushups or situps, or take a quick walk.