side planks- wrist pain?

Options
I've been doing a workout DVD that includes side plank moves (6 Week 6 Pack by JM) and I know that they are supposed to strengthen your arms and abs, but for me... the only place that I feel it is in my wrist!

I seriously feel as if my little wrist is going to snap in half, and kind of fear doing the side planks. I do have small wrists, but I don't weigh much anymore (145-ish currently) so... am I crazy to think that my wrist will snap in half and that I shouldn't be doing this move?

Has anyone else ever suffered from wrist pain during side planks, and is there a solution?

So sorry if this has been asked before, I confess that I did not search for this...

Replies

• ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I too have wrist issues . I do my side planks on my elbow/forearm.
  • sportsforfun
    Options
    I have never watched the DVD but one solution would be to rest on your elbow and forearm instead of your wrist. Continues to work the obliques and shoulder/arm. That is the way I have always done side planks and hip raises.
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    You could always do them while resting on your elbow instead of your hand. You won't get anywhere near as good an arm workout, but the core work (abs, etc.) remains.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I didn't even think of using my elbow. Thanks, you guys! :flowerforyou:
  • lmarshel
    lmarshel Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Be sure that you use your hand for support while doing this move. Fingers should be fanned out wide, like a starfish. You should be using your whole hand as a platform, which will help with the stress on your wrist.

Hope that helps. :)
  • sarahsmart88
    Options
    I have felt pain in my wrists, too, and I believe this means that you should work on strengthening your wrists. If side-planks bring you too much pain, either skip them or do less of them. You can also try doing them from resting on your forearm/elbow instead of putting all the weight on your wrist in a lifted plank. This modified method will take the pressure off your wrist and makes for an easier move.
    To strengthen your wrists, try adding some pushups into your daily workouts. You can also invest in a wrist brace for added support. Also, examine your side plank form to make sure you are aligned properly. Either do the exercise in front of a mirror or have someone watch to make sure you are not leaning forward or back, placing unnecessary pressure on the wrist.
  • dayzeerock
    dayzeerock Posts: 918 Member
    Options
    I have horrible wrists from my gymnastics days. I use these:
    http://tigerpawwristsupports.com/products/Tiger-Paw-Wrist-Supports.html

I've had them for probably 15 years, since I was a gymnast. I still use them for things like yoga and pushups and anything that utilizes my wrists...they're awesome!
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    do you have hand weights that have clearance for your fingers? you could always do them while gripping that to change the angle on your wrist, this would help you keep your wrist straight and put your weight into your palm instead.
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    do you have hand weights that have clearance for your fingers? you could always do them while gripping that to change the angle on your wrist, this would help you keep your wrist straight and put your weight into your palm instead.

*LIKE*