what can I do with ligament damaged knee?

Options
Hi all! I dislocated my knee two weeks ago and still have ligament damage and need to be careful with my knee. It is sore to bend it too much or straighten it all the way.

My question is, what cardio can I do to avoid putting pressure on my knee? I've been walking a little but very gently to not put pressure on it. All the exercise I usually do, exercise dvds, walking, belly dancing I don't think I'll be able to do for a wee while.

I really don't want this injury to stop me exercising completely because at the moment I have been being really naughty foodwise. My head seems to make a connection between not exercising and eating loads of junk. I have put on maybe a pound but that is moving in the wrong direction damnit!!!

With being out of work it is even more important toget exercise in to remind myself of what I'm doing so I don't fill boredom with eating which I'm really bad for at the moment.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Replies

• LivLovLrn
    LivLovLrn Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    does your doc have any recommendations? I think some sort of water exercise would work
  • JenGilronan
    JenGilronan Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Do you have access to a bike? You can set the seat to increase or decrease the range of motion for knee....
  • MichaelaaJ
    MichaelaaJ Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I would try doing punches/jabs/ etc - while seated, you can work your abs, arms, and get your heart rate up. But as previously posted definitely check in with your doctor.
  • jmruef
    jmruef Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Punches/boxing. You can't really go into a squat/lunge position while doing it (like Jillian demonstrates in the 30 day shred) but maybe try it sitting on the edge of a chair.
  • kitkat1781
    Options
    On the 30 Day Shred video, Jillian Michaels mentions that the "punching" exercise is good for any type of low body injury. Basically, you just squat down (if that hurts your need, I'd imagine you could just stand) and punch into the air. It sounds simple, but I really do notice my heart rate increasing when I do it. I wonder if maybe you could modify some of your other videos too, to jsus focus on the upper body? Good luck--I hope your knee feels better soon!
  • ncahill77
    ncahill77 Posts: 501 Member
    Options
    You can do a lot with upper body and core. If you get some light weights and do sets of 20 with minimal rest between sets you can do a full upper body workout affecting a cardio workout. It's all about getting your heart rate up and maintaining it there.
  • mlbazan
    mlbazan Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I agree with checking on water exercises - check with your local gym or rec center. Also, make sure to reach out to your friends for support. Stay busy with them or with your family to make sure you don't fill the voids with eating. Stay healthy! :happy:
  • slp2112
    slp2112 Posts: 107
    Options
    Swim! Pop a float between your legs and use just your arms to get you across the pool. It'll work your core, too. Also, lots of core work involves just floating your legs in the air and then doing crunches/twists, all kinds of stuff. Maybe try doing something like that? Free weights that focus just on your arms or core and kayaking also come to mind ...
  • CaliGirl313
    Options
    The stationary bike will be your best friend :) definitely see your doctor and maybe go to a physical therapist...
  • amberdaniels
    Options
    Swim! You can swim without using your sore leg...and it will help you build it back up.
  • malaika1981
    malaika1981 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I am recently recovering from dislocating knee cap/acl reconstruction
    the exercise bike is ALWAYS good for your knee
    pre surgery post surgery whenever!
    it was the only thing i was able to feel comfortable doing

i went to a physio therapist pre surgery and she gave me a routine to do at home to strengthen things
    squats, lunges etc

if you are unsure (due to injurieS) you could consult with a physiotherapist!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    when I tore my MCL, the only cardio I was allowed to do was stationery bike. No swimming, no walking, no regular cycling.