sodium question

Options
Hello. I seem to do okay with my calories, fat, etc., but almost ALWAYS go over on my sodium. Does anybody else have this problem? What can I do to reduce this? I just made a salad and had a cup of soup (which I know has a lot), but my lunch alone was 1700 mg. of sodium!

Replies

• Hopeful4757
    Options
    Hello. I seem to do okay with my calories, fat, etc., but almost ALWAYS go over on my sodium. Does anybody else have this problem? What can I do to reduce this? I just made a salad and had a cup of soup (which I know has a lot), but my lunch alone was 1700 mg. of sodium!
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    were does it tell you how much you need
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    I put sodium as one of the things to show on my food section and it says 2500 mg. I also have checked online and that seems to be accurate.
  • kazzit
    kazzit Posts: 113
    Options
    oh right i didnt just put down fat and sugar
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    I used to have this problem but I started eating all natural foods and started making my own soup in the crockpot to avoid the higher sodium levels. If you shop around the perimeters of your grocery store this is all of the natural foods except the packaged lunch meats. I eat a lot of fresh or frozen veggies instead of canned which has a ton of sodium in them. All processed foods are loaded with sodium these are your boxed foods in the middle of the aisles, etc. I just started being more conscious of what I bought to eat to avoid the sodium. I am on a medication that makes me gain weight and retain water as it is I don't need the extra help of sodium.
  • debmac63
    debmac63 Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have the same sodium problem. Since I probably won't be changing the things I eat that bump it up I just try to drink more water.
  • Hopeful4757
    Options
    Thanks.
  • _Pepper_
    _Pepper_ Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I try to limit my sodium to 1500 mg because I have high blood pressure. I stay away from canned and prepared foods, and that seems to do the trick.
  • innerhottie
    innerhottie Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    also, if you choose fresh or frozen veggies, it reduces it TREMENDOUSLY!!!

Another good tip for flavoring soups and such is the packets of sodium free boullion. I even
    season green beans with it. It is delicious.

A good way to naturally flush sodium from the system is to eat foods high in potassium.
    Banannas, oranges, potatoes all have potassium.

Good luck!