Cyclists

Options
I'm just curious what other cyslists do. Where I live there is a "park" which is basically a 26 mile long two lane road with park areas on either side. It's very popular with cyclists since there is a wide shoulder and very few stops along the way. When I am on this road I obey all traffic laws, I stop for red lights, and always ride with the assumption that I cannot be seen so I don't end up someone's hood ornament.

However on the way to this park, I have to ride down a wide, residential two lane road. Traffic is pretty consistent, but it's not like one car after another....There are several intersections, but only one major one. I almost never meet a car at the small intersections and at the one major one I might meet a car 3 times out of 10.

I am sure the law says I have to stop at the stop sign before proceeding, but anyone who rides a bike knows what a PITA this is to constantly stop and get back up to speed. Like I said, I am normally very mindful of traffic laws and I never listen to music while riding, I'm always aware of where cars are and make sure I am seen or give them the right of way.

I can see all directions of the intersection well before I get there, so if there is not a car in sight I proceed through the stop sign. If there is a car approaching, I slow down and/or stop until I know what the car is doing.

I just don't see the point of coming to a complete stop and having to start up again from zero when I can see that there isn't a car in sight. I actually had a guy yell out his window once that I was supposed to stop....he was going the same way as me so it's not like my action inconvenienced him or anything. I'm just wondering what others do.

Replies

• VegGrrl
    VegGrrl Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Same thing you do - a "rolling" stop when it's very obviously clear. :smile:
  • sillygoose1977
    sillygoose1977 Posts: 2,151 Member
    Options
    If it's a four way stop and there are no cars, I just keep going. If it's a two way I pause and look but you're right, it sucks to have to stop at every intersection. You are being a courteous rider by obeying all the others laws on the busier streets. I wouldn't worry about the residential roads as long as you know you are all clear.

Edited to add that there will always be jerks that don't believe we should be on the road and will complain no matter what. To them I say kiss my firm cyclist's behind.
  • UrsulaCWitch
    Options
    I do the same. I keep going if it's safe to do so. Don't worry about rude drivers. I've had people spray me with windshield wiper fluid. Just remember that they are sitting on their butt while you are riding to better yourself.