Eating the Extra Excercise Calories?

Options
I am new to MFP and was wondering if it's best to eat the 'exercise calories' that's added onto your daily total? Yesterday out of the 480 calories 'earned', I only ate 100 calories and today will probably not try to eat any extra, unless I am hungry. Trying to listen to my body. I am sure it's different for everyone...any suggestions? advice? Thanks!

Replies

• Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP and was wondering if it's best to eat the 'exercise calories' that's added onto your daily total? Yesterday out of the 480 calories 'earned', I only ate 100 calories and today will probably not try to eat any extra, unless I am hungry. Trying to listen to my body. I am sure it's different for everyone...any suggestions? advice? Thanks!
  • Jackie_W
    Jackie_W Posts: 1,676 Member
    Options
    I would endeavour to eat most of those calories you burn, to prevent your body going into starvation mode - you can get away with not eating them all a couple of times but I wouldn't recommend it too often - just my 2 pennies worth :flowerforyou:
  • aprilann
    aprilann Posts: 238
    Options
    I don't know I'm confused on that issue my self. I don't know if I should or shouldn't. I guess if your hungry and have them eat if your not then don't.
  • Biggestloserfan
    Options
    You should try to eat all of your exercise calories because MFP already sets a deficit according to your goal of how much weight you want to lose. So it already has you eating 500 - 1000 less calories then your body needs to maintain so if you don't eat your exercise calories then you are making a bigger deficit which will cause your metabolism to slow down and your body to go into starvation mode. This will mean you won't be able to lose weight and your body will hang on to any water/weight it can. Hope this helped.
  • Fitness_Chick
    Fitness_Chick Posts: 6,648 Member
    Options
    I don't know I'm confused on that issue my self. I don't know if I should or shouldn't. I guess if your hungry and have them eat if your not then don't.
    There are a couple different schools of learning here... Some eat them all back and that works great for them, some eat about 50% or so back and that works excellent for their bodies. I say see what works for you buy eating them back to start out... getting in plenty of water everyday but most especially while working out. Keep track of how eating them back works for you...but please do give it time not just a day or two but really some time to see how your body adjust to healthy eating etc.

Your body will tell you what it needs....it truly will. This is a great site and there are many folks that share their opinion on what works for them, but it may not be the exact same thing that works for you. Take your time and get used to the site, healthy eating and more knowledge will come in time.

FC:heart:
  • Michelle09
    Options
    Thanks everyone...good advice. I will try that...eat some of the exercise calories and see how I do. You are right, it will take time to see how my body adjusts to all of this. :smile:
  • Michelle09
    Options
    Thanks everyone...good advice. I will try that...eat some of the exercise calories and see how I do. You are right, it will take time to see how my body adjusts to all of this. :smile:
  • shoppie
    shoppie Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I started on 1 Jan, and at the moment I am eating most of my cals back, but not all. I am breastfeeding so always have an additional 500 cals, of which I am currently typically eating about 300 cals. When I exercise on top I eat all the extra cals so I am never much more than 200 cals under my target. Let me know how you go and I'll do the same :smile: