Initial Weight Loss--Water Weight?

Options
Hello, I've been here over a week, and I've noted that I've lost about 4 kg, initially, already (23 more to go! :) wonder if all that is just water weight????

What does that mean? I've noticed that, on my scale (which measures fat content and % water), my water content has gone down to 47% (I've been told that one should really keep it at 50%) and my body fat content has gone up, even thought I've lost 3-4 Kg.

What to do make of this? How do you I get my water body level back up to 50% and continue to gain weight?

Thanks!

Replies

• epj78
    epj78 Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    I've never had a scale that measures water, nor have I heard the 50%. I wouldn't worry about it as long as you are getting in your 8 cups of water a day.

Yes, usually when one switches to healthier eating, they will see water weight loss of anywhere from nothing to 5 pounds in the first week. This is because unhealthy diets are higher in salts and processed junk that make our bodies hold onto unneeded water. Once we start eating healthier, our bodies shed this water weight.

The body fat percentage goes up because, your body fat percent DID go up. Before you weighed more, but a higher percentage of that was water. Your fat content in your body has stayed relatively the same (its hard to lose a pound of pure fat), but your weight has gone down (due to the extra water leaving) - hence, the percentage of fat in your body is up.

You are doing the right things. I wouldn't worry at this point beyond that. Scales lie. Scales with body fat percentage lie even more (on a daily and weekly basis - good measure for longer term). The only really accurate way to do body fat percent is to have a professional do it with an immersion test - really no reason for that. So, keep doing what you are doing, and don't let the numbers on the scale play with your head too much. As long as over time it is going down, that is the thing to worry about.
  • navjhaj
    Options
    Thanks for the explanation. I'll just keep on doing what I'm doing, and make sure I get enough water. (2+ liters per day) Cheers!
  • richardholt2011
    richardholt2011 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. Thats a huge amount so maybe not just water. Anyway who cares - its still weight. So less strain on heart etc. Just dont beat yourself up if you lose less next week