How do I get enough protein?

Options
In my calorie breakdown, I see that my calorie sources are within recommended limits, all except protein. I frequently find myself with one meal left for the day and needing to consume 800 calories, but have only taken in 18 g of protein. This is even with 2 T peanut butter for lunch! 36/54 is what I still need today.

I am not a big meat eater, and really don't even like it, unless it's a medium rare steak! This is maybe a 1 x month splurge though. I am working out, so I do want to make sure that I am getting enough protein to build muscle.

Any suggestions?

Replies

• Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    In my calorie breakdown, I see that my calorie sources are within recommended limits, all except protein. I frequently find myself with one meal left for the day and needing to consume 800 calories, but have only taken in 18 g of protein. This is even with 2 T peanut butter for lunch! 36/54 is what I still need today.

I am not a big meat eater, and really don't even like it, unless it's a medium rare steak! This is maybe a 1 x month splurge though. I am working out, so I do want to make sure that I am getting enough protein to build muscle.

Any suggestions?
  • abbychick
    abbychick Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Protein bars or protein shakes are a great way to add some in. I eat a Myoplex Lite bar every day for a snack between breakfast and lunch and it has 15 gm of protein. I love protein shakes as well with some strawberries thrown in. Check at any health/fitness store and there are tons of protein supplements available.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese is super high in protien.
    Egg whites tons of protein, but only 15 cals each.
  • Tri_Dad
    Tri_Dad Posts: 1,465
    Options
    I am usually over my protein goals lol

I usually get chicken in once a day which is a good source of potein other high in protein foods...
    Eggs-Or eggwhites-egg beaters ect...
    Beans- Any kind of bean is pretty much a great protein source.
    Dairy-Yogurt, cheeses milk-You can go with low fat versions and still get plenty of protein.
    Nuts-While nuts have plenty of fat it is mostly good fats and the protein is excellent.

Hope that helps :bigsmile:
  • Michelle09
    Michelle09 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I have been going over in protein! Tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, lean meats...all good sources.
  • Brenda_1965
    Brenda_1965 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    WOW! Only 15 calories for an egg white? How do you prepare it?

For two years I have been mistaking the growling and gurgling in my chest as hunger pangs. Now
    I am starting to think that it is gerd or acid reflux, but no matter what I do it won't go away. Any ideas or suggestions?

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal
  • leg8
    leg8 Posts: 49
    Options
    foods that i like with protein... nuts, yogurt, milk, tuna fish... mmm
  • shemricquick
    Options
    If you like apple cider vinegar it helps with acid reflux/indegestion. Just take a tablespoon.
  • amunet07
    amunet07 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    I had Gerd. They say it diminishes as you lose weight. Stay away from spicy foods that can over produce stomach acid, take some Priolsec... and go see you doctor because it can be very damaging to your esophagus. You doctor can tell you more, like how to change your diet to reduce its effects etc.
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    WOW! Only 15 calories for an egg white? How do you prepare it?

113736.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Food Journal

With 1 whole egg and a splash of milk - or however you normally do scrambled eggs. I sometimes do hard boiled eggs too, but just through away the egg yolk.
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I second the idea of the protein shake.... whey or brown rice.

I like Whey with 1/2 a banana, and a T of peanut butter, mixed with skim milk - DELISH.

Brown Rice protein is good blended with frozen berries and orange juice.
    :flowerforyou:
  • TawandaTheAmazon
    Options
    I'm in the same situation- I don't tend to eat much meat and find it hard to make my protein each day. I hate the taste of most protein bars, but Cliff Bar just released a new one that's actually good. It's got 20 grams of protein, and has a chocolate center that's really scrumptious. It also has a crunchy, rice-cereal type layer that I find texturally awesome.

One more bar that I found well suited for an on-the-go meal is a Met-RX bar that is caramel and chocolate. It has over 30 grams of protein and doesn't taste like a brick or a body builders breakfast.

Hope you find your protein fix~
  • wetbuns21
    Options
    whey protein
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes, lo-fat / no-fat cottage cheese, eggs, egg beaters are all great options. If you don't like protein bars (or are looking for an economical alternative), try mixing one 16 oz natural peanut butter with 6 ounces of honey (throw it in the microwave to heat it up, makes it a lot easier to work with) and mix in 3-4 scoops of whey protein powder (I lik ethe chocolate flavor). Depending on your protein powder, 4 scoops may end up being kind of dry, but you can experiment to suit your taste. While it is still warm, press into a 13x9 pan sprayed with Pam and cool. Cut into 16 bars. Each bar has the equivalent of 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 tsp of honey, and, depending on your powder and how much you use, an additional 4-6 grams of protein. They keep well in the fridge and freeze easily, and, if you adjust your recipe right, really tasty
  • AJCM
    Options
    Protein shakes, lo-fat / no-fat cottage cheese, eggs, egg beaters are all great options. If you don't like protein bars (or are looking for an economical alternative), try mixing one 16 oz natural peanut butter with 6 ounces of honey (throw it in the microwave to heat it up, makes it a lot easier to work with) and mix in 3-4 scoops of whey protein powder (I lik ethe chocolate flavor). Depending on your protein powder, 4 scoops may end up being kind of dry, but you can experiment to suit your taste. While it is still warm, press into a 13x9 pan sprayed with Pam and cool. Cut into 16 bars. Each bar has the equivalent of 2 tbsp of peanut butter, 2 tsp of honey, and, depending on your powder and how much you use, an additional 4-6 grams of protein. They keep well in the fridge and freeze easily, and, if you adjust your recipe right, really tasty

Great idea with the protein powder 'bars' - do they taste good?
  • runnerdad
    Options
    I think they taste great (love the chocolate/PB combo, vanilla /PB is OK too). The trick is to adjust the amount of powder you use - too much, the bars are a little dry, -not enough, the peanut oil may make them a little greasy. I'd start with 3 scoops of powder and work up from there. (Oh yeah, cut them before you put them in the fridge, because they may get really hard when cold. You may want to give them a minute to come to room temp when you go to eat one).
  • AJCM
    Options
    I think they taste great (love the chocolate/PB combo, vanilla /PB is OK too). The trick is to adjust the amount of powder you use - too much, the bars are a little dry, -not enough, the peanut oil may make them a little greasy. I'd start with 3 scoops of powder and work up from there. (Oh yeah, cut them before you put them in the fridge, because they may get really hard when cold. You may want to give them a minute to come to room temp when you go to eat one).

Thanks Tom!
  • hollymires
    Options
    :bigsmile:

My favorite way to get my protein in for the day is greek yogurt...I get the nonfat kind...6 oz...120 calories...20g of protein! I usually add a couple strawberries and a packet of splenda to mine.

Holly
  • cherapple
    cherapple Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    You can buy liquid egg whites by the carton, and they can be added to just about anything. To me they have no taste. The idea takes some getting used to, but clean eaters (usually athletes, body builders, and others who want a high protein intake) add them to oatmeal, hot chocolate (made with unsweetened cocoa powder), protein pancakes, and of course omelets, etc. Try the Clean Eating Club thread for ideas on getting protein in with every meal and snack -- which everyone really should anyway. Among other things, it helps keep you full longer.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    If anybody wants to try this, I analysed the recipe and saved it under 'homemade peanut butter protein bars' so you can log it in your diary. (because of the peanut butter, it is NOT low fat:frown: