Fav fitness and diet myths...

Options
What are the fav fitness and diet myths and legends that you've heard ? not just here but anywhere.

I love:

Muscle weighs more than fat.

You can build muscle in a week.

Replies

• beccarockslife
    beccarockslife Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    oh and overheard today, I'm heavier before my period because of all the blood inside me waiting to come out *yack*
  • bachooka
    bachooka Posts: 719 Member
    Options
    It's muscle not fat! Actually that fluctuation is probably water... If you could gain a pound of muscle in a day, everyone would be a body builder.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    only carbs make you fat

don't eat after (insert arbitrary time here)

you have to eat breakfast
  • Shweedog
    Shweedog Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    Eat less= lose more (not always the case now is it?)

I can eat whatever I want as long as I exercise 30 minutes a day and still lose weight.
  • Strive2BLean
    Strive2BLean Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    How about eating grapefruit burns the fat away,
  • Strive2BLean
    Options
  • Strive2BLean
    Options
  • suzieduh
    suzieduh Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    oh and overheard today, I'm heavier before my period because of all the blood inside me waiting to come out *yack*

just one word - EWWWW!!!!:sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:
  • butterfly0819
    Options
    ok ew.. that is really gross and just weird someone would think that way..
  • sundancer1966
    sundancer1966 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    One of my favorites is that all calories are created equal.
  • clarech82
    clarech82 Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I got told today that as long as you drink water that you will lose weight .

Oh and that you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want and not gain weight
  • jimmychoo2shoes
    Options
    I heard someone say that she thought if she ate while walking around that she wouldn't gain weight. It was hilarious. She was always walking around with her bowl of cereal or pizza pocket or whatever.
  • msjamartin
    Options
    Women do fluctuate around their cycles and I can track that over my weighloss journey. The way it was stated is just weird. I have an overall monthly target partially due to the normal up and down that my body experiences. That way, I don't let one week or even one day define how I'm doing. So not as much as a myth as really poorly stated. (IMO)
  • ObviousIndigo
    ObviousIndigo Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    drinking lemon water boosts your metabolism.
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my DH keeps telling me I need to do lots of leg exercises if I hope to trim my hips and thighs. He still completely believes in spot-reduction. (Oh, and he actually bought one of those shock-belts that are supposed to trim your tummy and define your abs "while you relax!" HAHAHAHAHA!)
  • Sezmo83
    Sezmo83 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Oh and that you can eat as much fruit and veg as you want and not gain weight
    Well I suppose if that's literally ALL you ate you'd have to eat mountains of it to gain weight. I don't imagine it would be a very healthy diet though.

The whole don't eat after X time at night makes me laugh. I lost 40lbs while working shifts and I ate at some weird and wonderful times. Logging food got a bit confusing at times though so I went by sleeps. The day started when I woke up whether that was 5am or 4pm and ended when I went to bed whether that was 8am or 11pm.
  • ItsMeLori
    Options
    That your body will go into starvation mode