Carbs are my new friends

Options
Today i came from my dietician. I found out something interesting.
I work out a far bit. But I am also on a low carb diet. usually I am under 10 G of carbs! well not lately but. Usually I am.
When You work out, You burn carbs. When you're on a low carb diet and work out. You will burn through the carbs that you have then start to burn Muscle and sometimes Bone tissue which is very unhealthy...
now I get to up my carbs.
instead of avoiding bread, I get to Try to have a grain product every meal and for 2 snacks!. YAY.
I do love my carbs but wlf always told me they were to be avoided.

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    You'll probably notice you can think more clearly, too. Carbs are the only nutrient that feeds your brain cells.
  • lizsmith1976
    lizsmith1976 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Everyone needs carbs!! I feel awful if I don't eat enough, especially when I am exercising heavily. Just add good carbs that are high fiber and not as processed (lower calorie and more of a full feeling). My favorites are Kashi Go Lean Crunch cereal - lots of whole grains, high fiber and protein too, and corn tortillas. Two corn tortillas are only 90 calories, low sodium, low fat :)
  • RubenOsuna
    Options
    100 Carbs a day tops works great for me.
  • TK421NotAtPost
    TK421NotAtPost Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    I do love my carbs but wlf always told me they were to be avoided.

Well, the anabolic and catabolic phases you mention aren't quite as simple as that since fat also plays a large factor in energy storage and metabolism. But your original point stands... carbs from whole grains, fruits, and vegetables should not be avoided.

Also, it's actually glucose that feeds the brain, which is most easily provided via carbs, but can also be provided via other means when carbs aren't available.
  • Kristhin
    Kristhin Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I often go over on my carbs and I don't care. I believe carbs are good for you! As long as you are getting them from a good source, as in, whole meal rather than refined.
  • VeganGal84
    VeganGal84 Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    :heart: :heart: :heart: CARBS :heart: :heart: :heart:
  • smweber1
    Options
    I think that's been the big understanding (not sure who's though exactly) for a very long time. There is a big difference in what most health professionals ARE saying and what we as consumers THINK they're saying. I avoid carbs like the plague...though only highly processed ones (refined sugar, white flour, sugar coated cereals, white flour pastas etc.). In turn this means most prepackaged cookies, cakes, candies, etc. get left out of my diet. However, I eat pretty much whatever whole grains (breads, pastas, high fiber cereals and even some cakes and sweets made with natural sugars) I want and I don't feel deprived hardly ever. My one splurge is ice cream.....If I could only find a good tasting one that wasn't full of processed sugar....I don't think any good health professional would ever suggest leaving carbs out of a balanced diet. They would say they just need to come from the correct sources.
  • jmeeej
    jmeeej Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    You will burn through the carbs that you have then start to burn Muscle and sometimes Bone tissue which is very unhealthy...

I'm sorry but this is just plain misleading. Do a little research into Ketosis and you may find your eyes opened.

There is nothing wrong with a low-carb diet for active people....but it depends on your level of intensity. I have been on a super low-carb Paleo eating plan for the past month (20G of carbs a day).....I heavy lift 3 days a week.....and mountain bike 1-2 time a week. All of my lifts have gone up in weight and my stamina on saturday for a 2-1/2 mountain bike ride in the river valley was the best it has ever been.

Please explain to me how I would be able to do this, feel better than I ever have, and look better than I have in 8 years if my body was eating itself alive?

Your dietitian gave you some false info. Do a little reading and inform yourself rather than trust a "professional"
  • lclarkjr
    lclarkjr Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I figured it wouldn't be long before someone came in to rain on the carb love-fest. Carbs are good for you. Too much is bad. Find the right balance and don't be afraid to eat some whole grains.
  • atomdraco
    atomdraco Posts: 1,083 Member
    Options
    It's all about a good balance
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    On Facebook, I "liked" Carbohydrates.
  • raevynn
    raevynn Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    We need carbs. However, they have to be the right kind!

Complex carbs from whole grains, whole fruits and veggies are good.

"simple" carbs from white flour, white rice, white sugar (seeing a trend here?), are bad.

Stay away from the simple carbs that spike your blood sugar. Eat the proper balance of complex carbs that fuel your body, and your brain.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You'll probably notice you can think more clearly, too. Carbs are the only nutrient that feeds your brain cells.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/
  • Sarah0866
    Sarah0866 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Glad you reincoporated more than just 10 grams! That would make me so grumpy lol: :smile:

Slow-digesting carbs, like oats, sweet potatoes, high-fiber tortillas, and the like really make a difference in my energy stores for the rest of the day when I incorporate them in my first two meals of the day. I don't find that I really need carbs too much at night, except for maybe a piece of fruit immediately after working out along with lean protein. I don't often go over 120-125 gms of carbs a day, so not necessarily low-carbing it, but I follow a 40-40-20 (protein-carbs-fat) diet for the most part, and don't feel any lack of energy for it or anything :)
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Have you ever noticed the way that people that eat really low carbs look?? Like they died and forgot to lay down. There is a guy on the food network that cooks low carbs....and he looks really bad...
  • AlyRoseNYC
    AlyRoseNYC Posts: 1,075 Member
    Options
    Hmm...I guess MFP ignored my suggestion to PM me whenever a pissing contest was going down.
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    You will burn through the carbs that you have then start to burn Muscle and sometimes Bone tissue which is very unhealthy...

I'm sorry but this is just plain misleading. Do a little research into Ketosis and you may find your eyes opened.

There is nothing wrong with a low-carb diet for active people....but it depends on your level of intensity. I have been on a super low-carb Paleo eating plan for the past month (20G of carbs a day).....I heavy lift 3 days a week.....and mountain bike 1-2 time a week. All of my lifts have gone up in weight and my stamina on saturday for a 2-1/2 mountain bike ride in the river valley was the best it has ever been.

Please explain to me how I would be able to do this, feel better than I ever have, and look better than I have in 8 years if my body was eating itself alive?

Your dietitian gave you some false info. Do a little reading and inform yourself rather than trust a "professional"

I agree 100% with you. I had better weight loss - I mean body fat loss - success with low carb than I ever did with low calorie. And my entire digestive system is healing, anxiety is gone, sleep better, no more weak, shaky hunger. No more constant bloating and gas. No more having to eat every few hours because protein and fat actually fill you up for hours. I've been doing this for four months, I'm in the best health of my entire life, I weigh less than I have since before puberty. And I lost body fat, not muscle mass. I eat moderate protein and high-fat. I get my carbs through veggies and the occasional berry. I don't have to do excessive cardio exercise to "burn off the carbs" so my body can finally dig into my fat stores (excessive cardio is also great for eating up lean muscle mass). I no longer have to count calories, log and weigh food, worry about portions. I also have a flat belly for the first time in my life. (6 months CW: 9.6lbs - 120.4; 4 months Primal Blueprint: 9.8lbs - 110.6)
  • hpsnickers1
    Options
    Have you ever noticed the way that people that eat really low carbs look?? Like they died and forgot to lay down. There is a guy on the food network that cooks low carbs....and he looks really bad...

I look amazing, thank you very much.
  • jmeeej
    Options

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/a-metabolic-paradigm-shift-fat-carbs-human-body-metabolism/
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-context-of-calories/

I'm so glad you posted that........because I was just looking for those. Nice!
  • jmeeej
    Options
    Hmm...I guess MFP ignored my suggestion to PM me whenever a pissing contest was going down.

No one is starting a pissing match........but there is a LOT of misinformation being posted in this thread which bothers me.

I'm not saying that carbs are evil. They are impossible to avoid. But figuring out what kind of carbs you should eat and how much works for you is not as simple as saying....."well someone said you should eat this much"

I love my low-carb diet because I never get the hunger urges I used to. I never get crazy sugar spikes and mood swings. I never feel "burned out"