Diet tips for vegetarians?

Options
I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years now and I've really never had a problem getting all my nutrients in because I really wasn't watching my weight too much. But now that I'm trying to drop a few pounds I want to make sure I'm not also cutting back on important nutrients that I need. Without eating meat my major concern is protein, but in the past I was able to get it from larger amounts of things such as nuts and beans (not great for dieting :grumble: ). Everyone is telling me that I should at least include fish into my diet, but I'm not so sure. Any suggestions?

Replies

• CrystalClear
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for about 2 years now and I've really never had a problem getting all my nutrients in because I really wasn't watching my weight too much. But now that I'm trying to drop a few pounds I want to make sure I'm not also cutting back on important nutrients that I need. Without eating meat my major concern is protein, but in the past I was able to get it from larger amounts of things such as nuts and beans (not great for dieting :grumble: ). Everyone is telling me that I should at least include fish into my diet, but I'm not so sure. Any suggestions?
  • laine23
    laine23 Posts: 39
    Options
    I've been a vegetarian for 6 years now.
    I get my proteins from egg white, tofu and quorn stuff, veggie burger, falafel (all that is great meat substitute) but I eat that like once or twice a week.
    Sometimes I indulge myself with a protein shake as well.
    I had major weight issue 3 years ago (I was way too thin and fainting from lack of suger and stuff) and I had to eat more and better and began to inclue fish once or twice a week in my diet. Fish is awsome as long as you really be carefull of the fishing conditions cuz there is some non environnement friendly stuff going on so check the quality over the quantity.
    Other days I eat cheese, cottage cheese and stuff like that.
  • j_g4ever
    j_g4ever Posts: 1,925 Member
    Options
    Im not a vegetarian however Im not a big meat eater either. The only meat that I will touch is really lean hamb. and maybe some turkey here and there. I find a lot of protien in peanut butter but then again you have to watch for calorie count. But I also love those veggie burgers. I love egss also. I am however a fish eater. I eat a lot of tuna and cod. I hope this helped a little bit. The best of luck to you. :flowerforyou:
  • chickadee10
    Options
    I'm not a vetetarian either. I don't eat red meat hardly at all, maybe a little tiny bit every two weeks. I mostly stick with chicken, but I'm getting tired of eating chicken...
  • may_marie
    may_marie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    hi there,,

i eat eggs too, love them, did you try peanut butter ?? i mean yeah its high in calories, but in a little amount it can help you boost your protein and good fat,,

when im really low on protein some days,, i will drink a glass of milk, a hot chocolate if im lucky :happy:

i like to add bean to my stir frys.. those are yummy, red kidney, chickpeas ..ect

i also drink lots of soy milk,, i know that there is a lot of saying that its not the best for you and can cause all kinds of trouble. but its got added b12.. witch is very important and not available elsewhere .. (beside meat)

i do eat meat substitute as well, i found this "chicken" thats got 23 !!! grams of protein, its by grassington, but im in the uk and not sure if that is available else where,, (hope so coz im going back to canada soon and i find it hard coz the meat substitute there are quite yucky (no quorn !!!!!!!!!!!!!)

p.s. *i just checked and grassington is not available elsewhere ,,sad ,, the uk is sooooooooooo much better then anywhere i been in the world for vegetarism.. sure will miss it ..sniff sniff*
  • isadoraworkman
    isadoraworkman Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I used to be a vegetarian, now I eat small amounts of fish and poultry. I still eat a lot of legumes..chick pea curry is a staple in my house..and has a lot of protein. Another thing I eat for a snack is edamame, and it is loaded with protein and makes me feel quite full when I eat it. You can usually find it in the frozen section of the health food store/health food section of the grocery store. Also, when you eat chickpea curry, or some other type of bean, make sure to eat bread or rice with it so that it is a 'complete' protein.
    Hope that helps.
    :smile: