Really demotivating doc appointment.

Options
I had my first appointment with what was my new doctor yesterday, since hubby's new job required a switch to kaiser. I went in to have my ankle looked at, it's been really sore lately and I'd like to find out why. After a half hour walk/run, my heel feels like burning and crunching glass whenever I put weight on it. I'm just starting out with running, but this isn't sore like my muscles are unaccustomed to being used, this is sore like there is something wrong.
Anyhow, my doc pokes at my foot for a minute and tells me I should be wearing tennis shoes from the time I get out of bed in the morning until I get back in it at night. Maybe something with a heel and a clog-style back, or something with a hard arch support.
...The only reasons I EVER wear shoes is to workout and because public places don't like barefoot hippies. I am not a shoe kind of gal. So this news already has tears in my eyes, I cannot imagine wearing sneakers all day long. My poor toes. And then Doc goes on to say that my ankle/foot problem is probably because I'm overweight. I've been overhauling my diet for the last month, really strictly eating good stuffs, and working out 30-90 minutes EVERY day of the week for a month, and I haven't lost a damn pound in three weeks. So its touchy subject. And I tearfully explained this to my doctor (there may have been sobbing), how frustrated I am with everything, and that I know I would be healthier if I lost weight, that's why I'm busting my *kitten* trying to.
The doctor suggests I try weight watchers. Or their meal replacement program, which runs about $20 a day. Or, she has a handful of patients that have done the HCG diet, and although kaiser doesn't endorse it, she thinks it would be a great idea for me. Yeah, a bit of preggo pee and a seriously limited calorie intake, that's exactly what I need to get to a healthier weight!
I'm so frustrated. I got no answer about the ankle problem except that I'm probably using it too much, and I should stay off of it for two weeks, and after coming home and researching what the HCG diet actually was, I'm stunned that any doctor would advice that. I don't know what I expected, but I'm pretty sure it was more along the lines of "Let's go over your diet, you can do this, sometimes it just takes a bit of time." To have my doctor suggest something as extreme as the HCG is really friggin discouraging, and to be told that my ankle problem is because I'm overweight and therefor I should avoid using it isn't any better.
At my suggestion, she ran a blood test to figure out if there is a reason I'm not losing, and sent for xrays on the foot. I'm actually worried that they will both come back normal. I cannot accept that this is just how my body is naturally, and there is nothing I can do about it, but that is what it feels like.

Replies

• slimdownspicey
    slimdownspicey Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am SHOCKED that your doc would recommend HCG. Anyone in the medical profession I have talked to said it's a hoax and it can be dangerous because of how little you are consuming. I would get a new doctor, STAT.

Btw, I hear you on the shoe thing --- that's 1/2 the reason I got into yoga. No shoes!
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    If I were you, I'd find a new doctor and get a 2nd opinion! Sounds like that doctor is out of line! Sorry you had to endure what you did.
  • horsepullerlovesme
    Options
    i agree to get a new dr. she should have suggested u to see a nutritionist. sorry to hear about everything keep ur head high
  • haeden
    haeden Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    i would say "wow, because of this appointment i would be happy to say that i will NOT be coming back to you" and ask for a new doctor. I know that doctors have to just go threw a list of possible explanations but to ask you to go on an extreme diet is crossing the line
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I'd see another doctor. I would at least expect an X-ray before being told my pain was just because I was overweight, but the HCG recommendation would have been enough to send me to someone else.
  • livinghcglacey
    Options
    If you dont already, make sure you take in your diet log and show your doc. or go to a nutritionist and ask what they reccomend. i was on a plateau like you too. i busted my butt working out and watching what i ate and lost absolutely NOTHING!!! i even gained because of the muscle weight, but the new muscle never burned away the fat. so frustrating! i would definitely get a new dr. you and your dr need to be on the same page when it comes to your health and what you believe in. just some words of advice. i hope you can figure something out that works for you! good luck! and keep your chin up!!
  • minnie86
    Options
    I would seriously ask for a second opinon. I also go to Kaiser and more often than not I encounter an idiot. I really don't understand how some of these people got through med school. Anyways, change your doctor, it's an easy thing to do.
  • JoLeeFA
    JoLeeFA Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I am going to have to go with the idea of TOTAL shock that any medical pro would even say anything like a recommendation for HCG.. I tried it - I DON'T recommend it. totally bogus.

Can you find another doc?

Go to one of those Dr. Sholl's kiosk things (they are in the pharmacy section of Walmart around me). You stand on it in your sock feet, and it ask you a series of questions, then gives you a suggestion of a shoe insert. Prices starting at $50. I have a friend who was having alot of pain. He says it fixed his foot AND back pain.

Also, working out 4-5 days per week, my gym's trainer recommends changing your shoes every 3-4 months. How old are your shoes?
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Weight Watchers is a great program (though I have issues with the new system), but HCG???

My advice is find a different doctor under your new insurance. Did she even suggest any blood work to see if there's a treatable issue?
  • VickiMitkins
    VickiMitkins Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Sorry for such a poor experience with a new doctor. Maybe you can request someone else in the group in the future. She is correct about resting the ankle and giving it a chance to heal. I guess she suggested shoes to give your heel and ankle some support. If you can't tolerate athletic shoes, maybe try for a good hiking sandle. They would give you some freedom of movement in the toes, while giving you support for the heel and ankle. :smile: One of the others mentioned yoga. I suggest giving it a try. It has done a world of good for me.
  • ee_Lewis
    Options
    The 3 week hold you might be experiencing is your body clinging to calories because you are overworking yourself. CHANGE your workout routine and take 1 day week where you literally REST and eat ANYTHING you want particularly high calorie high carb foods (especially if you do high protein). If you are working out as much as you say, you may need to CONSUME MORE CALORIES... When I get discouraged, this always does the trick--usually within a couple of days the scale (though not supposed to be focused on that, but I like seeing measurable goals) will show a change becuase your body/metabolism is JUMPSTARTED in a way. It really sounds like you need a personal trainer for a few sessions to show you some new things, NOT A DOCTOR.
  • NoExcuseTina
    NoExcuseTina Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    I would look for another doctor as well...another opinion might be nice in this situation! Maybe even see a podiatrist!

Research your symptoms! Try just walking for a few weeks instead of sitting...if that doesn't hurt, then add the jogging back in! Invest in a GOOD running shoe! I use a stability shoe (yeah, just learning about this myself) and it helps minimize my hip pain! Go to a running store if there is one in your area and they can recommend the type of running shoe you need (because there are so many different ones out there).

Good luck...keep moving!
  • adventuring
    Options
    Most doctors have very limited nutritional training to begin with, but yours sounds like a damn idiot. The HCG diet, really? I'd get a new doctor, not a new diet.
  • bjajdtk
    Options
    Some dr's are just crazy. My brother went to one (he doesn't have a regular doc, just went to whomever was on call for a bad sore throat) The dr did dx him with strep, but then procedded to tell my brother he should go back to smoking rather than gain any more weight. My brother is 6'2 and at the time weighed like 180. Not to meantion he is one that bulks up a bit in the winter and then slims down dangerously low in the summer. I couldn't believe it. Add to that our family history which this dr didn't care about and he basically sentenced my brother to death. (had my brother taken his advice)
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    Sorry for such a poor experience with a new doctor. Maybe you can request someone else in the group in the future. She is correct about resting the ankle and giving it a chance to heal. I guess she suggested shoes to give your heel and ankle some support. If you can't tolerate athletic shoes, maybe try for a good hiking sandle. They would give you some freedom of movement in the toes, while giving you support for the heel and ankle. :smile: One of the others mentioned yoga. I suggest giving it a try. It has done a world of good for me.

They make a such thing as hiking SANDLES!!! I am thinking, "how heavenly is that?" I am hitting google after I hit the "post reply" button!!!
  • adventuring
    Options

They make a such thing as hiking SANDLES!!! I am thinking, "how heavenly is that?" I am hitting google after I hit the "post reply" button!!!

There are! I love mine. Just make sure you don't wear them if you hike when it's muddy. One of mine was literally sucked clean off my foot, and I had to pull it out of the mud using a good amount of force. Also, you've gotta be careful about branches and things. But other than that, they're actually super comfortable.
  • JoLeeFA
    Options
    adventuring, you are my new hero!!! And they start under $50!!! WOOHOOO!!!
  • DeBiKin
    DeBiKin Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    You cannot rely on doctors. They are 'practicing' medicine for their own paycheck. You are one small part of that equations that they have to deal with. If they are wrong on a minor issue (not life threatening) then they won't lose sleep. I actually hope, for your sake, that both tests ARE normal. You don't want problems. The doc probably did a thyroid test & if the test shows you're hypothyroid he'll automatically prescribes hormones without asking if you are getting enough iodine. (I that happens then first, research iodine.)
    If your ankle is injured you can still do some upper body cardio.
    On the shoes, I totally understand but you get used to them eventually and they do support your frame (whether big or small).
    Message me if you want more info on these things.
  • xraylady33
    xraylady33 Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Is this Dr, old school or new?

Xrays are for fractures...obvioulsy if you can bare weight, it is most likely a tendon strain, or ligament damage! You need an MRI!

You have worked out for a month with no rest? The body must recover! Exercise is wonderful, but too much can reap havic on your body. If you are doing all cardio, switch it up! I will say this...MACHINES will never replace the work you can accomplish with just using your body! I know several people who are on the Tred mill every day, and have never lost a pound. Confuse your body, increase your protien, and find a new dr.

I am sorry you are so frustrated! I completely understand! Ice your ankle after your workouts, or before bed, and remember your efforts are amazing, the dr is a butt!
  • adventuring
    Options
    adventuring, you are my new hero!!! And they start under $50!!! WOOHOOO!!!

Oh, I'm not the one who mentioned them originally! I just butt into the conversation, lol. VickiMitkins is totally your hero.