Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Info of the Day: Do I really need a sports bra?

I am posting this another Info of the day because I didn't post one yesterday... My baddd :embarassed:

So, Do I Really Need a Sports Bra?

Simply put…YES!

The breast is made up of fatty tissue, not muscle. Because of this, once it is damaged or stretched, exercise cannot help the breast to regain its original firmness and condition. Therefore to help prevent damage to the breast tissue the wearing of a supporting sports bra is strongly advised.

unsupported breasts can move around by up to 21cm - and in all directions - during a workout. This can lead to sagging and stretchmarks, not to mention pain. Are you giving your bust enough support?

It's really important to ensure your breasts are well-supported during any kind of exercise - and that means buying a sports bra. But wearing the wrong type of bra can lead to fragile ligaments becoming irreparably stretched - so it's vital to ensure you choose the bra that's right for you.

So what's the choice? 'If you're an A or B cup, you can wear a stretchy crop top, which works by compressing the breasts to stop them from moving around,' - 'But women who are a C cup or larger need a firmer, more supportive bra that holds each breast individually.'

And the key is all in the fit - so make sure you try the bra on. 'Stand in front of the mirror and move your arms around then jog on the spot,'- 'You may feel silly, but it will let you know if there's too much movement during exercise. If your breasts jiggle, you're wearing the wrong size.'

Of course, the level of support you need can vary depending on the type of exercise you plan to do.

I noticed the last few weeks of running that my breasts were aching somewhat – but I thought my bra was good? I spoke to a few friends and was shocked to hear that many people do not even wear a sports bra when exercising, yet alone a correct one.
Think of your breasts ladies – they deserve to be kept in a decent bra when you train!

Sports scientist Dr Joanna Scurr from the University of Portsmouth, UK, discovered that a supporting sports bra prevents ‘bouncing’, and therefore stretching, of the sensitive breast tissue by 74 per cent, while a normal bra only compensates by 38 per cent.

Replies

• I have to use both lol - not a nice feeling!
  • Interesting a "SHOP BRAS" advertisement popped up as I clicked to read this thread.
  • kenzietea
    kenzietea Posts: 614 Member
    I always wear a sports bra but I never knew you could cause damage by not wearing one! I clearly need a new one because at a fitness class I try to do regularly, my mom makes fun of me for how much movement goes on up there. I just invested in one, but obviously if I am working out almost everyday I need to invest in more, so thanks for this article and motivation to go buy some more higher quality ones. (I just really wish they weren't so expensive!)
  • ontheskinnyroad
    ontheskinnyroad Posts: 205 Member
    Good post
  • alyssa92982
    alyssa92982 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Intetesting,which I had some boobage that actually needs support :(
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    I never used to think I really needed one, being a B/C cup. I did buy a few good ones and have been using them religiously while running. Last week, I decided to run (literally) over to my parents' house 1/4 mile away to take something over to my mom. I went in what I happened to be wearing, with a regular bra, and BOY could I tell the difference. It was actually a bit uncomfortable running as it was a bit "bouncy". I'm sold!
  • NicLiving
    NicLiving Posts: 261 Member
    Thanks for the useful information. I've been aching and didn't know why! Guess I thought after 40 sagging was inevitable lol.
    Funny story: while doing a weight loss challenge (200 jumping jacks) my bra strap broke LOL so guess I'll be bra shopping real soon.
  • Wow! I didn't know all this, though I do wear a sports bra, they're just plain comfortable. When I was younger, up until 11th grade actually, I wore a sports bra everyday. I'm wearing one now at work! I'm going to get another one this weekend because one is just not enough!
  • Erindipitous
    Erindipitous Posts: 1,234 Member
    Intetesting,which I had some boobage that actually needs support :(

I know how it feels! :P I went off birth control recently and that made it even worse. Rawr.
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    FYI: I found very good deals on Sports Bras at Ross...They are in the sportswear section.

Smooches!
  • caroltina
    caroltina Posts: 453 Member
    when I started I didn't have a good bra and noticed within weeks I had new stretch marks, I got a extreme control one immediatey and with F cup I need al the help I can get!
  • janegeno
    janegeno Posts: 37 Member
    I am in love with my Enells. NOTHING moves. The kids call them my superhero bras. I never used to think I could run anywhere ever without punching myself in the chin. (Plus I giggle that I wear a size 1 - silly but hey) These bras are the only sports bras I have found that accommodate a small rib cage/massive hooter combo. Of course, I stopped looking after finding these so there might be some alternatives out there now.
  • HeatherR930
    HeatherR930 Posts: 214 Member
    Well at a DD I HAVE to wear a sports bra or they would be up to my chin when I run! LOL! It is impossible, at this size, to find one that stops the bouncing 100%. They still move a tiny bit when I run, but I think they are strapped down as much as they can be! :) I honestly hope that when I lose more weight, I will go down a cup size or 2!
  • Choclat_Pearl
    Choclat_Pearl Posts: 166 Member
    FYI... You get 6 sports bras for $24.99 Ebay or do a search on Ebay for sportsbras they sell in Lots or individual ALL SIZES!

6 PCS New SEXY Seamless SPORTS BRAS TOP 2 TONE Sz FREE

http://www.ebay.com/itm/6-PCS-New-SEXY-Seamless-SPORTS-BRAS-TOP-2-TONE-Sz-FREE-/270800568063?pt=US_CSA_WC_Intimates&hash=item3f0cf8beff