what was your "moment of clarity?"

Options

Replies

• klewis81
    Options
    I was drinking my calories for years and the weight was slowly going up. Once I met the man who would eventually be my husband, I also stopped caring about staying moderately "slim" and put on even more weight. The tipping point was a combination of always feeling awful from the heavy drinking (and smoking) and bad food, turning 30, and the sadness I felt when watching other people my age stay thin, run marathons, and live healthy lives. A few months later and I've given up smoking, rarely have a drink, work out every day and the lbs are slowly (but surely!) coming off.
  • derbylea
    Options
    My mom had a scary health emergency that was directly related to her weight. As I sat there crying over it, I thought to myself- Wow this is what you are going to put your daughter through. And then I just decided, no more excuses. That was 30 days and 10 pounds ago.
  • P90XCertifiedCoach
    Options
    In the Army I could do over 30 pullups and in april of this year I started talking smack about how good I use to be to a friend. He bet me $200 bucks I couldnt do 1 pull up. Well I took the bet and after about a minute of kicking and wiggling like a little girl I let go of the bar in disgust( kinda like the movie Stripes) He was nice enough to give me a chance, he said if I could 10 pull ups within a year( non assisted) I didnt have to pay up. Sooooo Here I am, I can do 3 unassisted pullups as of today.

I have easily spent more than that on Gym membership, shoes, clothes, videos but I am loving every minute of it. When I finish P90X I think I will take him to Vegas and we will raise some hell.
  • ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I knew for a while that I needed to lose, and had been "passively" trying to lose. Pretty much just eating less of the crap I was eating. Not much else. That's why it says I joined in Feb. I was looking for a site my friend was on and thought this was it. Ijoined, then realized I was on the "wrong" one.

I wish I'd stayed on this at that time! Anyway, my final straw was that I went on a girls weekend with my friends, and realized I didn't have anything to wear since I'd grown out of my clothes, so I went to buy something new and the size 16s were too small.

I went on our weekend trip feeling really crappy about myself, and the worst part is that we were going to Chicago... shopping! I didn't buy one thing for myself.

I came home and re-dedicated myself to this. It's been just over a month now that I've been on here seriously. I'm down only 2 lbs, but I'm hoping to get myself all figured out soon so I an start losing a little bit more quickly.
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I couldnt stand to look at pictures of myself or even in a mirror. When I delivered my 2nd child in March 2009, I weighed 235 lbs. I remember with my first child, when I hit the 200s at one of my OBGYN appts and almost cried. I am 5'10, but was always very athletic and never over 175 before I got pregnant the first time. (I was once at 165 with 15% bodyfat but looked sickly).

My turning point was when my son was born with Persistent Pulmonary Hypertension & we were rushed to another hospital that specialized in infants with heart problems. We lived in a Ronald McDonald House for two weeks and when I came home (with a healthy son) and actually got on a scale, I weighed 230 lbs. I had delivered a 9 lb baby (plus we all know how much all that OTHER stuff weighs that you lose when you give birth) and I only weighed 5 lbs less than when I was 9 months pregnant!
    I couldnt get off the couch by myself while I was holding him...I was SO embarrased to have to hand off my newborn to my husband to be able to stand up!

My husband is an avid runner and in 2009, ran his first mini marathon in honor of my mom who had passed away in 2007 from skin cancer. I remember thinking to myself, "Wow, I wish I could do something so cool to honor her. I probably couldnt WALK a mini marathon right now." That got me thinking about my kids. I was 27 when my mom died. I already have all the genetic issues that triple my likelihood to die young from skin cancer, and even if that didnt take me from my babies, being fat would. How would I keep up with them in the yard? How would I climb to the top of the sand dune and roll down with them? It was that moment that I decided if I was going to do it for anyone, it was my kids. They deserve a healthy, happy mom.

I am happy to say, I have lost 51 lbs and am 9 lbs away from my mark of 20% body fat at 170 lbs. I know a lot of people say this, but I have NEVER felt so good...even when I was a gymanst, strutting my 15% bodyfat in a leotard! I was skin and bone and now I have muscles and definition Ive never dreamed of! I thank God everyday for my wake up call. I remember the pic we took at my sons second birthday party...013-1.jpg and I thought...wow. Theres the pretty, happy, healthy person I remember being inside of me..and Ive lost 20 more pounds since then!

you look amazing! you've come so far, I'm sure your husband and kids are very proud of you and your mom as well.
  • awelch79
    awelch79 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Thank you. I should edit to say I do it for my mom, too! She would have given anything for more time with her grandbabies (5.5 mos. and 8 mos. when she passed) and I know she would want more for me!
  • healthieramanda
    healthieramanda Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my entire life and never ever happy with my appearance, avoiding mirrors and photos. Over the years my weight has gone up and down, it usually plummets during stress and then goes back up once the stress disappears.

My moment of clarity only come about 2 months ago when I found out I needed an ankle reconstruction. Seeing my friend have a knee construction at over 300 pounds and struggling with it immensely I decided that the excuses I was holding onto weren't good enough "It's cold" "I'm tired" "my ankle is really bad today" etc. Finding out the news of my ankle reconstruction I promised myself I'd lose as much weight as possible to inevitably improve my life and help the recovery process. I immediately got myself the most amazing motivational personal trainer, work out 5-6 times a week, eat really well and have lost over 20 pounds in 2 months. I'm definitely not looking back, I haven't felt so lively and happy in my entire life!
  • GreenGettingLean
    GreenGettingLean Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I've been overweight my entire life and never ever happy with my appearance, avoiding mirrors and photos. Over the years my weight has gone up and down, it usually plummets during stress and then goes back up once the stress disappears.

My moment of clarity only come about 2 months ago when I found out I needed an ankle reconstruction. Seeing my friend have a knee construction at over 300 pounds and struggling with it immensely I decided that the excuses I was holding onto weren't good enough "It's cold" "I'm tired" "my ankle is really bad today" etc. Finding out the news of my ankle reconstruction I promised myself I'd lose as much weight as possible to inevitably improve my life and help the recovery process. I immediately got myself the most amazing motivational personal trainer, work out 5-6 times a week, eat really well and have lost over 20 pounds in 2 months. I'm definitely not looking back, I haven't felt so lively and happy in my entire life!

I definitely get that! I used to hide behind excuses too - I was born with a dislocated hip and as a result, I cannot run or play any contact sports. I can't even wear heels! :sad: I'm a highly competitive person so this was bad news for me, but rather than find other ways to exercise, I blamed everything on my hip and hung out on the couch. Occasionally I'd do pilates, but that was it. Now I'm a spin class junkie, love to bike, and once it gets cold, will spend at least 3 days a week at the huge indoor lap pool in my neighborhood. And these are all doctor-approved workouts for me! Couldn't be happier!
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    So many little things led up to finally getting a start:

-Someone giving up their seat on the train who thought I was pregnant. I was too embarrassed to correct them and instead just thanked them and took the seat.

-Realizing the size M shirts I’d been wearing were too tight and looked ridiculous, even the L shirts were tight around my arms and stomach and deciding I’d never get into an X-anything.

-Undressing at night and seeing lines from my pants being too tight, feeling uncomfortable the rest of the time.

-Looking at the pictures taken when getting my one chance to visit family and friends this year. I was huge and bloated and even though they’re the only recent pictures I have with my loved ones I couldn’t bear to look at myself in them.

-Living in a country where all the women are slim and tiny, walking around as the only American in my area and contributing to the stereotype of chubby Americans!

So many experiences in the few months before I started losing weight were just building up until one morning I woke up and said “Okay, that’s it. Today’s the day I start!” And that same afternoon trying to rationalize with myself why eating McDonalds would be fine, I’m already this weight and one more meal won’t hurt, right!? Then I realized I needed this change more than I thought.
  • taeliesyn
    taeliesyn Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options
    I knew I had been gaining weight for a few years, but I didn't realise it was so bad until a business trip recently. I had to wear my high vis clothing and the pants had got so tight, that even though I could still fit into them, the button on the waistband was actually causing me pain.
    These are the same size that about 2 years ago, I needed a belt to wear.
    I also got sick of my thighs chaffing when I was walking if I wasn't wearing the right clothing and finally I am aiming to ride my horse competitively and an overweight rider is not going to help the horse, or help paint the pretty picture that helps win.
  • Hoppymom
    Hoppymom Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    August 5th two days before my 54th birthday my doctor said, " You are pre-diabetic (only 2 points outside of normal) and with your High BP and high cholesterol (slightly) and your weight, you will be diabetic very soon". I had my last Diet Coke (addiction) and chips (2nd addiction)on the 6th and my birthday on the 7th became the birth of the new me. I have lost 11 pounds and don't intend to ever go back. Good luck to all of you.
  • finchase
    Options
    So many things contributed to my moment of clarity: My weight had been steadily rising for years. I knew without weighing that I was well over 300 pounds, but of course, I didn't even own a scale since I didn't want to see it. At work I could tell I was not in favor with my manager. No one said it was my weight, of course, but I knew my appearance was working against me, and it was also affecting my performance as I had become listless. The pain I was experiencing in my hip and knee made sitting all day in my desk chair very difficult. Oh, and naturally I had to have one of the special "big" chairs. I didn't even want to think about what my blood pressure might be. I'm very good at avoiding things I don't want to think about.

I had been thinking about starting a weight loss program but I couldn't quite get myself motivated to start. I didn't even have a doctor because any halfway decent doctor would have a fit over my condition, which meant that when I was in pain I just endured it. It's probably a bad thing that I have a fairly high tolerance for pain. The breaking point finally came one morning at work in February 2011 when I started experiencing strong, unexplained spasms of pain in my upper back. The location of it made me worry about a heart attack. My father died of heart disease when I was 21. At the same time I noticed that my feet were numb which scared me also. A friend of mine that I confided in recommended her doctor so I made an appointment.

Fortunately, the symptoms I experienced were not a heart attack and I was feeling better by the time I went to the appointment. I kept the appointment, though; I knew it was time for me to do something about the state I was in. The doctor did exactly what I expected: He let me have it right between the eyes about my weight, my blood pressure, and my general state of health. He basically ordered me to go buy a copy of the Abs Diet for Women and to read it cover to cover several times. I listened and did exactly what he told me.

Today, I'm down 92.4 pounds (yes, I own a digital scale now) and I've lost several clothing sizes. I have a gym membership and I haven't missed a day working out there since the beginning of June. I'm working with a personal trainer a couple of times a week. My blood pressure and cholesterol are great and my knees are better. I shock my doctor every time he sees me now. The last time I was there he told me he wished he had a patient like me every morning! I still have a long, long way to go but I'm enjoying the journey now. Friends ask me how I've managed to be so disciplined about staying on course and I just tell them I'm on a mission. I don't know that I'll ever love my body, but we are starting to be on speaking terms again. Maybe I'll even become comfortable in my own skin someday.

Sorry for the long post. Seems like it's something I've wanted to express for awhile.
  • naomiruthfields
    Options
    Im turning 18 next month, and since I was about 15 I have struggled with weight. My mum has always been thin, and I always envied that. The kgs just crept on, and I would do all sorts of crazy things to try and lose the weight. Laxatives, fruit only, soup only, not eating, green tea only, bloody everything. Nothing worked, and then I would go crazy with bingeing. Whole loaves of bread, bowls and bowls of icecream, takeaway after takeaway. Dad is a little overweight too, and we both hate it. We're also quite competitive, so we decided to do a one month challenge, with a meal replacement/protein shake for breakfast (neither of us ate breakfast) and having healthy salads and chicken and vegetables for dinner. Dad has stopped eating blocks of cheese and smothering everything in mayonnaise, and I have stopped the dramatic and unhealthy bingeing/starving cycle. :blushing:

In 3 1/2 weeks, I have lost 4kg, and my Dad has lost 3.5kg. I can see a huge difference in my body, and am happy with feeling healthy and confident. If this is how I feel now, I cant wait to see how I feel in 5kgs time! I am looking forward to starting my 18th year the way I always wanted to! :love:
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    I had my first mammogram in January 2011 and they found a lump. This was after getting back an abnormal pap result. I felt so out of control and didn't know how to deal with the stress. I decided I couldn't control my body but I could control what I put in it. So I started watching Food Network and then subscribed to Cooking Light Magazine. the weight coming off was an amazing feeling. Then I added a walk... Then 2... Now I walk 6 days a week. After an MRI and Surgery, I have been given a clean bill of health. But what I have learned along the way has been amazing. No matter how bad I think life is, I go for my walk and thank God I'm here another day to deal with it! My husband has also joined me on this journey and also lost 33 pounds! My 22 month old loves couscous and broccoli and my 12 year old loves fish! (he actually asks for Arctic Char by name lol)

Amazing stories everyone! You've all made me smile and reminded me we all have our own journey to take... Enjoy yours as I have enjoyed mine!
  • Tonnina
    Tonnina Posts: 979 Member
    Options
    I got hypertension and I'm only 22... My doctor said I could get rid of it by loosing lbs. I was 272 when I went in to my doc's office and it was the heaviest I was ever. I had been thinking I was a little heavier than when I got married, but not that much more... It was depressing so I was sad about it and I ate and I didn't do anything until my mom turned me on to this app on my phone. It has changed my whole outlook!
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    When I got winded shaving my legs. I mean like seriously "I need to sit down a minute" winded, just trying to shave. :0( That was a sad...sad day!
  • iheartyarn
    iheartyarn Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    i had always been the chubby girl, then i shot up as a teenager and looked pretty good, but all my friends were tiny, (5 ft 115lbs) and so i felt like a giant, i got into smoking certain things that make you want to eat and gained 20lbs or so, and my weight yo-yo'ed then from 180-195. i got pregnant at 205 and i felt awful, i never wanted to be above 200 and then of course thats when i found myself pregnant, i gained 50 lbs with her, lost it all by 14 months postpartum to get pregnant again, and gain another 50 lbs. i made a decision then that i never wanted to be 250 lbs again. so i started eating better, i always hung out around 220 postpartum, and i started running when my second child was about 10 months old. i dropped down to 196, the first time i had been under 200 lbs in years and i felt amazing. then i got pregnant with my third child, i stayed really active, but then due to some medical issues i couldn't be as active as i wanted towards the end. i gained 40lbs with her, and delivered at 240.

now my third baby is 18 months old, and i am still 220. i was 210 last summer and got so mad at myself for gaining weight this year, i have never gained while breastfeeding. and we eat pretty "clean"!! so after much self talk.. of every night hitting the pillow and saying ok tomorrow is going to be the day you start the c25k again..i just like made this quiet internal knowing decision that i wanted to be that "active" family, i want to show my kids how to be active and healthy by how we LIVE. i don't want them to have to overcome all the bad habits i am having to do right now.

i am back to running, working out, eating great, i have lost 6 lbs in 3 weeks, my husband has been inspired too, and now its just a matter of WHEN for me, not IF!
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    mine was actually my doctor. I went in for a sinus infection, and he looked at me and asked "Are you happy with your weight?" I was so taken aback. My response was "No, but what does that have to do with my sinuses?"
    He just laughed, and told me how I was falling into a hole that is really really hard to climb out of. That day he gave me not only a prescription to clear up my sinuses, but a lot of info on how to healthily lose weight. He even suggested I join a support group at a local gym or online.
    Here's the kicker to my story. I didn't take his advice until 1 year and about 20lbs later. I, being stubborn, was a little offended that he wanted to offer up this info without my asking for it. I pushed it out of my head and tried to forget about it until one day, I realized he was right. I looked at myself, and decided to go ahead and take the advice I didn't want or ask for.
    I have since switched insurances, therefore having to switch doctors. My new doctor is very pleased with my weight loss, and has no clue is is due to another doctor's recommendations. :)
  • pinkgigi
    pinkgigi Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I love all these stories!

Mine sounds like a soap story, but here it goes. When I divorced my first husband I was around 85 kgs, overweight but thought I looked OK, I put on lots of weight when I met my second husband (he was overweight), but managed to lose quite a lot to get to be around 80 kgs when we took up cycling.

Rolling on to 2008 and my husband died after an 18 mth illness, while my son was in his last year of school. I was 96 kgs when we went on our holiday after exams had finished, and I was hot uncomfortable and dreadfully unhappy, and the photos, urgghhh. When I came back from the holiday a friend and I decided to start at a gym, we both did a fitness test with a PT, and I came up with high blood pressure. I had to have tests with my doctor, which ended up OK, but it was the kick in the pants to get fitter. I actually didn't have any hope I would lost weight, but the gym weighed and measured me every 6 weeks, and the accountability worked, because after 18 months I was nearly at my goal at 74 kgs.

However, last year in January my 19 yo son was diagnosed with secondary cancer. I tried to stay on track while he was going through his chemo and surgeries (this is also while my daughter was in her last year school), but I think I rediscovered the nuturing qualities of icecream again :-) Bad habits and struggle with myself, put on about half of what I had lost.

At the end of January this year I noticed I had put on 4 kgs from the beginning of December, what the? I wanted to look good for my son's 21st birthday party, so I dedicated myself to the gym's challenge, which I won.

I'm now at 80 kgs and I've started at another gym with a new PT, and I plan to be 77 kgs by my 50th and 72 kgs by the end of the year.

I know I need the accountability of regular weight checks at the gym, and goals and challenges to keep me honest. I also see my mother of an example of what not to be. She has always neglected exercise, and she is now paying the price. I want to stay as active and able as I can as I get older, not to mention I was to be HOT and feel it as I make it through my 50s.

GG
  • KatManx
    KatManx Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I knew deep down that i was getting bigger, and at 5ft it wasn't a good look. Pictures which were taken of me were awful, the clothes were getting bigger (size 18!) and when i stepped on the scales on 17th Jan 2011 after a break away for new year, i was horrifed to see that i was 1lb away from 182lbs! (13 stone!). From that day on I have eaten healthly (with one or two days off!), exercised (i never used to at all!), set myself goals and as at 27th August i was 48lbs lighter (although put on a few the last week or so as been away!).
    I feel great, look great (or so people tell me!) and am never going to look that way again!