I'm new and need support and I don't mean from my bra!!!

Options
Hi I'm Kelly. This was a spur of the moment decision to do this. We are starting a weight loss program/contest at my job and this site was on their list of places for advice, encouragement, etc. I wasn't kidding when I said I needed support, I get swayed and discouraged very easily. I don't have a lot of support for this type of thing at home, so I am going to look elsewhere. I am 46 and I weigh over 300 lbs. I have no energy and lead a very sedentary life. I am married and have 2 children, a son, 14, in 9th grade and a daughter, 18, in her first year of college. She goes to Appalachian State University in Boone, NC., and for those of you who are not familiar with this, Boone is in the mountains of NC and her dorm is literally on the side of the mountain. I thought I would die when we moved her in. That was when I realized just how bad off I had become. I made a decision then to start to do something. I am looking for a Zumba class is my area, but am really to embarrassed to go to the average class, which is full of
20 and 30 somethings who are pretty much just there for the fun of it. So I am still looking. I plan to start walking at lunch time, after tomorrow, that is. My friend at work and I are going out to lunch one last time before the weigh in, then I plan on getting serious!!! Anyway, any support you all can dish out will be greatly appreciated. I would love some company on this journey I am undertaking.

Replies

• suse56
    Options
    Good job for getting started!!
    You might want to look for a Zumba Gold class. It is at a much slower pace, and is a great place for anyone to start. You can learn the moves, and some wt, and then change classes if you want to. Zumba is so much fun, and to me does not even feel like exercise!! Good luck in your journey.
    suse
  • clabernethy
    Options
    You can definitely do it! Just take it a day at a time and you will begin to see improvement. You will be so surprised how easy the program is to follow and seeing the calories added back that you can have once you exercise is super exciting and rewarding!
    Best of luck to you!! :flowerforyou:
  • philOHIO
    philOHIO Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    People don't judge other people at the gym, zumba classes, etc. We WANT you there. Walking is probably the best thing for your body right now... my wife is in the same boat, but I can't get her to do it even though it is doc's orders. You can friend me if you are looking for advice and encouragement.
  • cpegasus01
    cpegasus01 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    So very glad that you have taken the first step on your journey for the rest of your life. It will certainly be filled with ups and downs but remember we are all here to help and support you and we have all been there. Feel free to add me as a friend.
  • aim2lose
    aim2lose Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Kelly!

This site has been great for me to focus on my weight loss. Great friends for support, great way to log you food/water intake, great information on all sorts of weight loss tools among other things! I think you will find it very helpful and motivating!

Please add me as a friends if you would like and we will continue on this journey with our new friends!
    All the best to you, YOU CAN DO THIS!!
  • TheYoungRetiree
    TheYoungRetiree Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Best spur of the moment move you've made would most likey be signing up for this site! I have found tons of motivation here and find just tracking my food makes me think about the things I put in my mouth. Please, feel free to add me if you'd like motivation and support!

YOU CAN DO THIS! You can change your life, one day at a time!
  • Sandyslosenit
    Sandyslosenit Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Hi! My name is Sandy. I started MFP about 15 days ago. I looooove this site. My starting weight was 262lbs with a BMI of 51.2. ( I'm only 5' tall ) Now I've lost 18lbs and have a BMI of 47.6 !!! In just 14 days !!
    I would love to support you on your journey.