HCG Diet - safe or mad?

Options
I was talking to a friend of mine this evening about the weight I'd lost and she told me that she is starting the HCG diet, but was a bit reluctant to tell me the details. Having looked it up on the net tonight my reaction was concern for her. 500 calories cannot be healthy surely and messing with your hormones to achieve rapid weight loss must have a potentially serious health risk.
Am I right to be concerned?

Replies

• melvac
    melvac Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Don't know to much about it have a few friends that have loss a lot of weight with the HCG. My thing is I want to be safe so I have gone to a meal management I cn stick with forever. I don't believe you can last forever with HCG
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    mad
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    Mad is not the appropriate word for it.
  • anubis609
    anubis609 Posts: 3,966 Member
    Options
    *Piss* mad

Fixed.
  • aecmagn
    aecmagn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Every time I hear about a new diet I want to try it. i've learned that it's not a good idea but want to.
    I always go to chasingfreedom.com to read the reviews of every diet nkown to man. Love their reviews.
  • reinach31
    Options
    Yes.

Two people I know(not very close friends) they are taking HCG and one of them had to go to the hospital(about 2mths ago) as her stomach was not accepting the food anymore. She was sick for a some time but I think she is ok now.

The 500 calorie per day is not healthy - who wouldn't drop lbs with the 500 calories! In that case, why take HCG.

After reading some information about it myself - I thought it was crazy and def would not try that!

Talk to your friend.. This is not safe!
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    That's what I thought....that's going to be a fun conversation with her......
  • Sasssy69
    Sasssy69 Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I have two friends who are on it. Both lost a ton of weigh...and have put it back on. You can't live like that for the rest of your life. It's a quick fix that no one has figured out how to maintain. One of the above friends keeps getting back on it - she gets the shots. She ended up with serious stomach problems and had to have surgery on her stomach...and they don't know the cause. I'd rather eat right and exercise.
  • maryd523
    maryd523 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    The other day I noticed my chiropractor had a thing up about HCG. I asked one of the employees and she started spouting off some information about how the HCG tricks your brain or something. I must admit, it kind of makes me respect my doctor less. I have a friend who lost 15 pounds in two weeks with it, I'm sure it does work. But long-term? Healthy, sustainable, lifestyle-changing weight-loss? I don't think so.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    It's bad stuff.
  • IamEric
    Options
    I've tried almost all of the fad diets and even this one scared me.

The best way to lose weight is to make lifestyle changes. Sure, you may lose quite a bit of weight, but sometime you are going to need to eat more than 500 calories a day, and then what?
  • mmcbutterpants
    mmcbutterpants Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    To get real HCG you need a prescription and it's injected by you at home or by a health care provider. The stuff you order online is not FDA approved, regulated or even tested. Anyone who cuts their calories to 500 calories a day will lose weight, fast, and when they start eating regular healthy amounts their body will store that fuel for the next famine. A young healthy person would survive this for a while but anything long term would result in malnutrition, organ damage, system failure and many other symptoms.

My suggestion is to stick to what you know is healthy. If you want to lose weight, eat less than you expend and expend more than you eat. Aim for a pound or two a week. That will give you a better chance of keeping the weight off and learning a new plan of eating you can live with.
  • BFit40
    BFit40 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I'd love to persuade her to come over to the MFP way of thinking. I've a horrible feeling she's seen what I've done (23lbs in 13 weeks on the MFP plan in a SUSTAINABLE way) and is looking for a result, any result as fast as possible. I'm really quite worried for her.

Any ideas for persuasion? I've tried talking to her about the 1200 calorie minimum, but she seems determined...
  • emilynicole02
    emilynicole02 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Don't know to much about it have a few friends that have loss a lot of weight with the HCG. My thing is I want to be safe so I have gone to a meal management I cn stick with forever. I don't believe you can last forever with HCG

I have a friend that did this and yes, she did lose weight... a LOT of weight. But you are right, the details of the diet are not healthy at all. She has been trying to get me to do it and to be honest, I would rather stay overweight than put my body through the HCG diet!

So yes, my friend has lost the weight (which mind you has now already gained back 6 pounds last I talked to her) but she also kind of looks malnurished....

here is straight from the horses mouth, the lady who sells the hcg diet
    >

--Criteria for starting hCG Weight Loss Program--
    Physical exam and laboratory analysis of CBC, Chemistry Panel (16 essential tests), Lipids Panel, TSH, and Urinalysis within the last year. (Labs can be performed at Any Lab Test Now in Appleton for $129)
    BMI greater than 25.
    Must be 18 years or older.
    Weekly meetings throughout the program.
    Weekly meetings for maintenance program is optional.

--There are 4 conditions that will not allow you to take part in the program--
    If you have ever had cancer.
    If you take nitrates for a heart condition.
    If you take insulin by injection.
    If you have ever had a stroke or pulmonary embolism.

--Overview of Program--
    Our HCG program package includes a complete program guide, diet guide, diet diary, and recipes you can use while on the program. You will receive everything you need to be successful on the program. And remember, if you ever have any questions, you call always contact us, free of charge!

--To Get Started--
    Set up an appointment for a personal 1 hour consultation with Heather.
    Bring the completed liability and client information forms with you to your first appointment. Also, bring any laboratory analysis that you have had done in the last year (optional).
    During the first visit, Heather will explain the weight loss program and answer any questions about the administration of the hCG and the calories and foods the patient should eat. Vital signs, weight, and BMI will be assessed during the visit.
    After the initial 1 hour consultation, the patient is required to be at weekly group meetings, or request a private appointment, to weigh in, assess vital signs, pick up the hCG for the next week and get questions answered if needed.

::::: Phase 1: For 2 days, you eat as many calories as possible with hCG.

::::: Phase 2: hCG will be given along with a low calorie diet. hCG is administered by injection. The diet is a strict specific 500 calorie per day diet plan.

Start the low calorie diet, along with hCG on day 3.
    After 40 days on the hCG, do 72 hours on the low calorie diet without the hCG.

:::::: Phase 3: Go 3 weeks on a diet without starches and sugars. Eat lean meats, fruit, nuts, vegetables, whole grain breads and low fat dairy. If you go 2 pounds over your last hCG day, you must have a steak day, where you have only water or tea until dinner, and then eat a steak and either an apple or a tomato.

:::::: Phase 4:Eat a balanced diet of lean meats, fruit, nuts, vegetables, whole grain breads and low fat dairy. Avoid processed foods. You must continue to weigh yourself every day, and the steak day applies in this phase as well. If you are at your desired weight, you will stay on phase 4 for the rest of your life. If you weigh yourself everyday and do the steak day immediately if you go over 2 pounds, you shouldn't need to go on a diet again. If you haven't lost all the weight you would like and are taking the injections, you must stay on Phase 4 for 6 weeks, and then you can start a second round of Phase 2, with the hCG and low calorie diet. The only difference is with each round you do, you must add 3 weeks to the amount of time in Phase 4. For example, if you are in your second round, you must stay in Phase 4 for 9 weeks. If it is your third round, you must stay in Phase 4 for 12 weeks.

--Maintenance--
    After you have reached your desired weight, you may take part in our free Maintenance Program for as long as you would like. You will need to maintain your new weight within a 4 pound range (2 pounds over or below your goal weight) for 6 months to a year to in order for you to retain your body's new "set-point." Call or e-mail us if you need support or have any questions or concerns. Check in regularly and if you should ever happen to gain weight, contact us about restarting HCG treatments at a discounted program fee.

--Storage & Disposal of Needles--
    Needles should be kept in a safe location inaccessible to children & should be disposed of in a Sharps container. Sharps containers are puncture resistant containers which are typically red or white & can be found at your local pharmacy. The lids of these containers should be additionally secured with duct tape & labeled "MEDICAL WASTE" in permanent ink. After the lid is secured & the container has reached capacity, the container should be disposed of in the trash, NOT the recycle bin. It is not recommended to ever try to reuse or recap used needles.

heres the website to research further!
    http://www.simplyorganicenergy.com/the-plan

sorry for the lengthy post everyone!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    I'd love to persuade her to come over to the MFP way of thinking. I've a horrible feeling she's seen what I've done (23lbs in 13 weeks on the MFP plan in a SUSTAINABLE way) and is looking for a result, any result as fast as possible. I'm really quite worried for her.

Any ideas for persuasion? I've tried talking to her about the 1200 calorie minimum, but she seems determined...

Tell her to just flush her money down the drain, and avoid HCG. It will have the same effect.
  • blizzy1
    blizzy1 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    500 calories a day!!!! That is so unhealthy.
  • HollyTsiaussis
    HollyTsiaussis Posts: 415 Member
    Options

The 500 calorie per day is not healthy - who wouldn't drop lbs with the 500 calories! In that case, why take HCG.

This.
  • AliDarling
    Options
    my mother in law tried the drops. she lost 12 lbs in a week. but she couldnt stick with the diet, 500 cal only and of what the foods you can eat. I thought about it since im use to 500 cals only, but i didnt try it. i suppose if you can stick to the diet for 30 days it will work, but 1 slip up and you'll gain back everything.

the get slim quick thing doesnt seem safe to me at all. think of it this way, you didnt gain 12 lbs in a day, you shouldnt be able to lose that much in one day without repercussions..
  • AliDarling
    Options

Tell her to just flush her money down the drain, and avoid HCG. It will have the same effect.

very true
  • Appleblossom26
    Options
    I recently red through a blog about this, and after reading through the whole thing, It is not something I would do.
    I would suggest searching for a blog to read through before making a decision.