% bodyfat nightmare!!!

Options
I just got a new scale that measures % body fat...and OMG was i SHOCKED, AMAZED, and HORRIFIED at what it said! It said i am 37& body fat! :noway: :sad: :mad:

Well, that definitely freaked me out! I tell you what though, there will be a whole lot less cheating on calories and days off working out for me! :grumble:

Replies

• MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I just got a new scale that measures % body fat...and OMG was i SHOCKED, AMAZED, and HORRIFIED at what it said! It said i am 37& body fat! :noway: :sad: :mad:

Well, that definitely freaked me out! I tell you what though, there will be a whole lot less cheating on calories and days off working out for me! :grumble:
  • Jennnnnnnny
    Jennnnnnnny Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    what scares me is my BMI. :( im obese in that category.
  • MrsTomy
    MrsTomy Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    The scale came with a chart for bodyfat...you know the excelent, good, okay, bad, and horrible ranges...my % was OFF THE CHART!!!! I'm like "just go ahead and kill me now!" AHHHHH:mad:
  • annhjk
    annhjk Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    Don't put too much stock into the scale body fat. Mine can change 1 % just in the time I go to the gym. Even the trainers at the gym say they are high. I'd say mine is off by at least 5-6%.
  • Chellekk
    Chellekk Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I went and had a "body bod" reading done last year. It's 2nd best to being weighed in water. I'm 5'9 and at that time weighed 167. It said I had 33% body fat, but NO ONE (even myself) would have thought it. I'm a 3rd fat and don't consider myself fat at all. Sure...I could lose some weight, but my gosh...33%??? Even the lady in the room testing me had me re-checked a week later for free because she didn't think the test came out right. It came out the same. I wonder if a scale would be anny closer to accurate. If you use the online BMI calculators I'm 26 or something like that. How could it be so off? Or...is it right?
  • Landon66
    Landon66 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I did the "bod pod" as well. Was pleased with the reading since it said lower than the charts, but like you said, it's the most accurate besides the "dunk tank".
    I don't put much faith in the charts and scales since they show me WAY above what the bod pod did because of my build. The more muscle you have, the farther off the charts and scales can be.
    It may be worth calling gyms in the area to see if they have one.
    Landon
  • teresamc
    Options
    The research indicates that these scales are not accurate. The BMI has limits as well as it looks only at your weight vs height., Pro athletes fail the BMI due to their muscle mass. Most fitness centres use the caliper test but again can vary from person to person so unless you have the same person doing each time it can vary. Take the numbers only as a guideline. How are your clothes fitting?
  • hmo4
    hmo4 Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    I'm in the Obese range according to my stupid scale. I can't believe it. Everytime I see that %, I want to cry. Where is all the fat. Around our organs? Like WTH?.I'm glad I'm not the only one that has scale issues. My daughter is at a high level hockey school this year and they said her bf% was 14-15%. Our scale said 26%! She nearly had a fit. She was tested with calipers all over different areas of her body at her school. How could a scale even tell ?